Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
sc4 sc4 started this thread

33 posts, read 60,396 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m new to this forum and I think it’s great that something like this exists.

I have some potential of getting a position in Aurora and I am looking for some support.

I recently visited Madison, Wisconsin and I loved that area. It was green, progressive, fresh and new. (I am in Rochester, ny) And I am looking for that same feel in Denver.

I’ve heard Boulder is comparable (to Madison in certain ways) but the commute to work would be too far.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

71 posts, read 252,690 times
What part of Aurora? Not to get all in your business, but Aurora is actually pretty big and places that would be an acceptable commute to the northern part of Aurora would be an awful drive to southern Aurora, and vice versa.

Also, just to prepare you, Colorado is very beautiful, but in a different way than Madison or Rochester. You won't see nearly as much green, and where you're looking there's a lot of wide-open high prairie. Another thing that people from back East find surprising is that lots are generally smaller here, especially in newer developments. That said, Denver/Aurora is a wonderful place to live with a lot of natural beauty.

Funnily enough, it's all relative. I'm friends with a couple where the husband is from Denver/Wyoming and the wife is from Long Island. When the husband goes east to visit her family, he feels claustrophobic from the tree canopy.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenUlasewich View Post
What part of Aurora? Not to get all in your business, but Aurora is actually pretty big and places that would be an acceptable commute to the northern part of Aurora would be an awful drive to southern Aurora, and vice versa.

Also, just to prepare you, Colorado is very beautiful, but in a different way than Madison or Rochester. You won't see nearly as much green, and where you're looking there's a lot of wide-open high prairie. Another thing that people from back East find surprising is that lots are generally smaller here, especially in newer developments. That said, Denver/Aurora is a wonderful place to live with a lot of natural beauty.

Funnily enough, it's all relative. I'm friends with a couple where the husband is from Denver/Wyoming and the wife is from Long Island. When the husband goes east to visit her family, he feels claustrophobic from the tree canopy.
No problem! It in North East Aurora.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
I moved to Denver from WNY and can definitely recommend it to anyone from WNY. I've been to Madison once and it was nice but not a lot going on. What are you looking for in an area to move to? There's lots of great areas near (and in) Aurora. I live in Broomfield which is North of the city but I can get to parts of Aurora in 15-20 min but other parts would take me up to 45 min. You should definitely take a trip out here to check it out. The weather is fantastic (and unpredictable).

Old 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM

71 posts, read 252,690 times
What are some of the things you're looking for in a neighborhood? General price range? More of an urban feeling or a suburban feeling? Apartment, condo, townhouse or house?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I moved to Denver from WNY and can definitely recommend it to anyone from WNY. I've been to Madison once and it was nice but not a lot going on. What are you looking for in an area to move to? There's lots of great areas near (and in) Aurora. I live in Broomfield which is North of the city but I can get to parts of Aurora in 15-20 min but other parts would take me up to 45 min. You should definitely take a trip out here to check it out. The weather is fantastic (and unpredictable).
I want to be in an area where people are out and about, biking, running, shopping. I like being able to walk places like shops and restaurants. Also i like a very clean city (who wouldent).

I am progressive thinking and want my area to be the same way. I like well planned areas and i am against sprawl, but like green spaces... (if that makes any sence)

I dont want to live in a house (not ready yet) and im into lofts.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenUlasewich View Post
What are some of the things you're looking for in a neighborhood? General price range? More of an urban feeling or a suburban feeling? Apartment, condo, townhouse or house?
Right now i am really into loft apartments, or loftish type condos.

That can always change though!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:51 PM

So far it sounds like Denver may be for you. Is there a price range your looking for? This is a very active area. Bikes are more than just recreation out here. Bike paths are everywhere. What you've described so far sounds like either Boulder or Denver. Since Boulder's too far from the job, Denver would be best. I live in a burb but I love downtown Denver. Kind of similar to Toronto in terms of cleanliness, crime, etc. I say go for the Denver job.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
So far it sounds like Denver may be for you. Is there a price range your looking for? This is a very active area. Bikes are more than just recreation out here. Bike paths are everywhere. What you've described so far sounds like either Boulder or Denver. Since Boulder's too far from the job, Denver would be best. I live in a burb but I love downtown Denver. Kind of similar to Toronto in terms of cleanliness, crime, etc. I say go for the Denver job.
Thats so great to hear! Im looking forward for to going for this.

im looking to spend about ~800/month on living expenses.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:26 PM

you can get a decent studio or one bedroom for under $800 but it won't be swanky. There's people who will say you can't but when we moved here we saw 2 bedroom places in buildings that had one bedrooms for that price. A girl I work with pays $660 for a one bedroom in a real nice looking area near the capitol building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver