Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times

Advertisements

I was watching the game yesterday (I live in San Diego, so I got the Padres announcers instead of the guys most of you probably heard) and the commentators mentioned that Coors Field is the 4th oldest stadium in the NL. It struck me as odd because I still think of the stadium as brand-new. But Wrigley Field, Dodgers Stadium and I forget the 3rd one are the only 3 in the NL that are older.

It got me to thinking...

Now hear me out, because there isn't really a fast easy way to say this. I'll do my best.

Some teams are part of the MLB establishment because of their history and overall contributions to the league. These are the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Reds, Cubs, and as much as I hate to say it, the Dodgers. When someone who is not a big fan of MLB thinks of MLB, it is probably one of these teams that instantly come to mind.

Along with the team history comes the stadium history. Most of the greats are gone, but Wrigley Field and Fenway Park come to mind of the bastions of baseball stadium history. The stadium is where people make some of their fondest memories, or in some cases experience gut-wrenching disappointment. (Coors Field 2007). They become an integral part of a community and greatly contribute to the historical significance of a franchise. Coors Field is frequently rated as one of the top stadiums in terms of fan experience. It has some of the best views of the field from any seat in the house, and is located in a vibrant and exciting neighborhood.

Now as far as the MLB history goes, the Rockies and Coors Field are still new-comers. But given that most of the old stadiums are gone now, combined with the Rockies emerging as a legitimate force to reckon with in the past few seasons, I think this is an era in which the Rockies are going to cement themselves as part of baseball "establishment". Certainly not to the extent that the Yankees or Red Sox are, but certainly to a higher extent as they have been. I think this is further expedited because it is happening at a time when the city of Denver is enjoying several years of growth both in reputation and population. Denver and the surrounding area more and more is perceived as one of the top places to be. At over 3.1 million people in the immediate area and with a few million more in the outlying television market, (state of Colorado, Wyoming, parts of Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, Montana) it is hard to honestly call the Rockies a small market team anymore.

So perhaps I am putting too much thought into this, but I think it is at least worth mentioning. Denver is the Broncos' town first and foremost, and I don't even think the Rockies winning the WS this year would effect a noticeable change in that. But the Rockies and Coors Field are poised to make Denver a legitimate baseball town as well. And all the conditions are right for that to happen right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
It's interesting you focus on MLB history. When I think of MLB history, I think of when baseball was a sport, not a business; when players weren't overpaid prima donnas, some of whom have managed to market themselves as "closers" or "clutch hitters" (with questionable results) and play one or two innings a game, etc.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
The third oldest stadium is where the Marlins play (Joe Robbie-Pro Player-Dolphin-Landshark-Sun Life Stadium). It is scheduled to be replaced in time for the 2012 season.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:28 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
It's interesting you focus on MLB history. When I think of MLB history, I think of when baseball was a sport, not a business; when players weren't overpaid prima donnas, some of whom have managed to market themselves as "closers" or "clutch hitters" (with questionable results) and play one or two innings a game, etc.
I think MLB is today is a product of our culture today. Back when it was a "game" and not a "business" our society was not completely infatuated with the celebrity lifestyle. Today we are a culture of entitlement, and I think MLB has simply adjusted with the times. There is demand for their product to be more entertaining now than it ever was. Hence, the huge $$$ spent on it.

Note: I am certainly not disagreeing with you. I'm am just saying that MLB didn't make this transition in a vacuum. Our whole society did. We used to be a country full of real men, not the prima donnas that are so common today. Baseball is a product of the current culture in our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver