Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My wife and I love the Denver area, but she's worried about finding a career in fashion there. We're both from the Midwest, but moved to Los Angeles after college to pursue careers in (Media/Television - me) and (Fashion - her.) My parents moved to Denver a few years ago so we would also like to be closer to them, but even if they didn't live there, we'd still love to make Denver our home if we could find the right careers for us.

She currently works downtown in the Fashion District as a showroom manager for high-end women's clothing, primarily from France. She loves her career but isn't a huge fan of Los Angeles. When she looks on various job opening websites, it seems like the only "fashion" related careers in Denver are at department stores or selling Mary Kay. All of these options seem like a serious downgrade from her current situation.

So my question is, does anyone know if there are any fashion career opportunites in Denver that don't consist of working at a department store? Are there any fashion specific job websites in Colorado? Does anyone have a friend that works in the fashion industry?

I'm beginning to think that our only other relocation options in the U.S. would be New York & San Francisco. Two places that I like to visit, but wouldn't want to live.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I'm beginning to think that our only other relocation options in the U.S. would be New York & San Francisco. Two places that I like to visit, but wouldn't want to live.
NYC or LA. Maybe SF or Chicago. Scattered corporate HQ's around the country. That's it. My brother's fiancee is in fashion (Went to FIT in Manhattan) and has not been able to find a job anywhere else.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
NYC or LA. Maybe SF or Chicago. Scattered corporate HQ's around the country. That's it. My brother's fiancee is in fashion (Went to FIT in Manhattan) and has not been able to find a job anywhere else.
Thanks Sassberto.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

My wife and I love the Denver area, but she's worried about finding a career in fashion there. We're both from the Midwest, but moved to Los Angeles after college to pursue careers in (Media/Television - me) and (Fashion - her.) My parents moved to Denver a few years ago so we would also like to be closer to them, but even if they didn't live there, we'd still love to make Denver our home if we could find the right careers for us.

She currently works downtown in the Fashion District as a showroom manager for high-end women's clothing, primarily from France. She loves her career but isn't a huge fan of Los Angeles. When she looks on various job opening websites, it seems like the only "fashion" related careers in Denver are at department stores or selling Mary Kay. All of these options seem like a serious downgrade from her current situation.

So my question is, does anyone know if there are any fashion career opportunites in Denver that don't consist of working at a department store? Are there any fashion specific job websites in Colorado? Does anyone have a friend that works in the fashion industry?

Thanks!
If you are a serious contender in the fashion industry, then you should know that clothing wholesale market showrooms exist in major cities.

Denver has The Denver Merchandise Mart Denver Mart You can get the listing of representatives and manufacturers from this website who have a permanent showroom Denver Mart You then have a way to make contacts and perhaps find a position.

In addition, you should also makes yourself aware of the major seasonal clothing buyer shows and make contact with the manufacturers and suppliers.

Every major city has jobs in the fashion industry that go beyond retail and Denver is no exception, as you can see. You have to be an authorized buyer to be admitted to the showrooms but by looking at the listing, you will have numerous contacts and you can make a call and see if they have an opening.

At one time, in my past, I was responsible for purchasing outdoor clothing and I did visit the showrooms and attended fashion buying shows. Do not restrict yourself to fine fashions but also consider that outdoor, ski, recreational and western clothing are a big part of the fashion industry; the manufacturers and shows have a big presence in the west.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-08-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
If you are a serious contender in the fashion industry, then you should know that clothing wholesale market showrooms exist in major cities.

Denver has The Denver Merchandise Mart Denver Mart You can get the listing of representatives and manufacturers from this website who have a permanent showroom Denver Mart You then have a way to make contacts and perhaps find a position.

In addition, you should also makes yourself aware of the major seasonal clothing buyer shows and make contact with the manufacturers and suppliers.

Every major city has jobs in the fashion industry that go beyond retail and Denver is no exception, as you can see.

Livecontent
I know very little about the fashion industry, but will let my wife know about The Denver Merchandise Mart. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM

36 posts, read 85,340 times
My understanding is that the options in the Fashion industry in Denver are VERY limited. There are a few boutiques in the Cherry Creek area, but it looks like the only high-end clothes needed here are biking outfits. Sports Authority and REI are here - maybe your wife could do merchandising for them?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Try this

http://cherrycreeknorth.com/
Fashion Denver: Supporting our local designers through events, business development, and our showroom

Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
I don't have any advice, but I to the OP, I think I've been to the showroom your wife works at! Went to the fashion school a couple blocks from there! what a small world!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
She currently works downtown in the Fashion District as a showroom manager for high-end women's clothing, primarily from France.
I don't think you're gonna find anything like that here.

Quote:
So my question is, does anyone know if there are any fashion career opportunites in Denver
I'd be really suprised if there were.

Quote:
Looks like that's what you're gonna be stuck with.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:31 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't think you're gonna find anything like that here.

I'd be really suprised if there were.

Looks like that's what you're gonna be stuck with.
Did you know that there are 62 fashion stores in Cherry Creek North?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver