Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be nice to have a place for Charter Schools.

Charter schools are public schools that operate under a contract to a public school district. They are funded by public school dollars and are not tuition-based. Charter schools have the autonomy to decide the structure, curriculum, and educational emphasis of the school, but are still held accountable for the academic achievement of the students.

If you know of one please post the school district and the url.

For more information on charter schools, visit www.coloradoleague.org.

Last edited by 2bindenver; 12-21-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
NORTH STAR ACADEMY WEST CHARTER ACQUIRES HIGHLANDS RANCH BUILDING FOR NEW SCHOOL

North Star Academy, a Douglas County School District charter school, has acquired the former Home Depot building at 6161 Business Center Drive in Highlands Ranch for its new North Star Academy West (NSA West). NSA West will renovate the building and grounds to open a preschool through 8th grade Core Knowledge charter school in August 2010. The school will feature an integrated Spanish and will operate on a traditional calendar school year. The school will initially serve students in preschool through 5th grade, adding an additional grade each year to reach full enrollment of approximately 625 students in grades Kindergarten through 8th grade by the 2015-2016 school year.

The current North Star Academy is located at 16700 Keystone Boulevard in Parker.

For additional information please visit North Star Academy.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,376 times
Smile Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for the forum. It is disheartening to see nothing on it though out side of what you posted as the creator of the forum. I was hoping this would be a form that I could use. We are looking for a charter school for my upcoming 6th grader with an IEP. I hope someone can post some good information soon. Thanks

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM

71 posts, read 252,690 times
Regarding charter (and magnet and option schools) I can think of a few right away that have great reputations:

DCS Montessori (Douglas County), PK-6th grade (DCS Montessori)

Rocky Mountain School of Expeditionary Learning (open to kids in Aurora, Denver, Cherry Creek, and Douglas County school districts) K-12 (RMSEL - Home)

Cherry Creek Academy (Cherry Creek) K-8 core knowledge (Cherry Creek Academy)

Cherry Creek Challenge School (Cherry Creek) K-8 primarily for gifted & talented (Challenge School Web Home)

Denver School of Science and Technology (Denver) 6-12 (Denver School of Science and Technology)

D'Evelyn (Jeffco) 7-12 strong liberal arts, love that they study Latin (D'Evelyn - Home)

That should get the list started!

Please note that each school district will have magnet schools and programs within schools, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB). Some of those show up on the Charter School League website on the OP, some don't.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
D'Evelyn is not a charter school. It is called an "option" school. I am not very familiar with Jeffco Schools and their terminology, but in the Boulder Valley School District there are "Focus" schools which follow the regular school curriculum but in a different way. The main difference between these schools and charter schools is that charter schools are more idenpendent, but still a part of the school district. Yes, it gets confusing. I suspect that is the case with these "option" schools as well.

JEFFCO Public Schools - Schools and Programs

ETA: It looks like Cherry Creek Challenge School calls itself a magnet school, and it's not clear if Denver School of Science and Technology is a charter school or has some other type of governance. It may sound picky, but charter schools are very much separate from the other schools in their districts.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-05-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredog View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for the forum. It is disheartening to see nothing on it though out side of what you posted as the creator of the forum. I was hoping this would be a form that I could use. We are looking for a charter school for my upcoming 6th grader with an IEP. I hope someone can post some good information soon. Thanks
What district are you in and what are you looking for in the school?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Peak to Peak Charter School - Index

Peak to Peak Charter School. Rated 69th in the country by US News and World Report; 10 rating Great Schools; top school in Denver metro. Boulder Valley School District.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 PM

138 posts, read 600,304 times
Littleton Academy Littleton Charter Academy - home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver