Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 PM

299 posts, read 712,222 times

Advertisements

Here's another observation I've made after hanging around on this forum for a while, if anyone is interested in my observations any more

There so much talk of everyone coming here and ruining Colorado! I understand that nobody likes it when people come out of the woodworks and move in and change the place, but there seems to be sort of contempt/fear/obsession about it.

Talking points include hoping that the sprawl doesn't 'turn into Los Angeles' and 'New Yorkers stick out like sore thumbs and will ruin the place' , etc.

I am from Los Angeles AND New York. I promise not to ruin the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Deal. Welcome aboard!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I don't mind people moving to Colorado. It doesn't affect my lifestyle or change anything for me.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Being a transplant myself, I'm completely over being apologetic for moving here from elsewhere. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for you to feel as if you need to reassure those who already live here that you won't ruin things for them. You are welcome to live wherever you wish given you have the resources to do so. Welcome to Colorado! Glad to have you!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
If somebody feels a place is "ruined" or is going to get ruined, they should probably move, because who would want to live in a ruined place?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,695 times
lol, most everyone I've met here is from somewhere else. hope you enjoy it here .

Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,921 times
Honestly, I don't think being a literal outsider is the issue. I think it has more to do with (if you'll excuse the expression) being an outsider in "spirit." I really think some people who come here (and some people who have been here some time) have no sense of "place" about them. They could live in any suitably similar place in the U.S. (complete with the appropriate job, house and school district) and not really be bothered about the local history, culture, and unique issues of the place. In fact, such people probably prefer NOT to get involved in that kind of thing.

Everyone will bring their own unique experiences to a place, and I think that's great...however I also think that if you come to a place, you should go there for a reason...that that place is that place, with it's history, culture, problems, solutions, politics, what have you. Otherwise, what's the difference between Irvine, Fort Wayne, Chandler and King of Prussia?

When I went to school in Texas and briefly in England, both places saw it as very important to teach local history and culture, and to teach other subjects through that lens. If only we could all have as much pride and concern for our own sense of place. That's why I came here in the first place.

Ruining a place is about seeing it only terms of what you want, rather than in terms of what it is. Somewhere in the world, it seems, there's a little piece for everyone.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 PM

299 posts, read 712,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Honestly, I don't think being a literal outsider is the issue. I think it has more to do with (if you'll excuse the expression) being an outsider in "spirit." I really think some people who come here (and some people who have been here some time) have no sense of "place" about them. They could live in any suitably similar place in the U.S. (complete with the appropriate job, house and school district) and not really be bothered about the local history, culture, and unique issues of the place. In fact, such people probably prefer NOT to get involved in that kind of thing.

Everyone will bring their own unique experiences to a place, and I think that's great...however I also think that if you come to a place, you should go there for a reason...that that place is that place, with it's history, culture, problems, solutions, politics, what have you. Otherwise, what's the difference between Irvine, Fort Wayne, Chandler and King of Prussia?

When I went to school in Texas and briefly in England, both places saw it as very important to teach local history and culture, and to teach other subjects through that lens. If only we could all have as much pride and concern for our own sense of place. That's why I came here in the first place.

Ruining a place is about seeing it only terms of what you want, rather than in terms of what it is. Somewhere in the world, it seems, there's a little piece for everyone.
Being from California, what I see is this:

If I am interested in Colorado history, culture, solutions, politics, etc, the local folks are very happy to oblige the conversation.

If I discuss, in any way, things about California that I like or miss it's the opposite. For example, the place I lived in the mountains just north of Los Angeles was incredibly beautiful. But, if I mention that to someone from Denver then 99% of the time I'll be listening to the old speech about how LA has too much sprawl, people are lame, and god forbid Denver be more like LA.

This has happened hundreds of times over the last year or so.

"Where are you from?"

"Los Angeles"

"Oh, I bet you are happier here" (or something like that)

"I'm OK here but I sure miss home sometimes. I love LA"

<traffic, polllution, plastic people, Paris Hilton, traffic, politics, blah blah>

I like Denver 'stuff'. But sometimes I get tired of the contempt for some other places that is almost palpable beneath the surface. No place is perfect and there is plenty to criticize about most cities, including Denver or LA. But it seems to me that being critical of Los Angeles is somehow part of Denver culture

Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Eh...those same people will have the same attitude depending on where you choose to live in the metro area too. Some people feel if you are not "native" or you haven't lived here very long or don't live in Denver proper or one of the "approved" parts of town, then you're not worthy of anything but snarky remarks. Just live your life the best you can in a place that works for you. Welcome.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
U huh. Yeah, people might be offended by that attitude.

Hey, if somebody's going to move somewhere and then spend the whole time talking about how much better where he's coming from is, maybe he ought to move back.
Amen. And not let the door hit him in the butt on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver