Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM

8 posts, read 14,831 times

Advertisements

whats the best time to move end of summer and let kids finish all their summer sports here or move in spring before all summer sports begin

what is the best school distict

looking at west des moine, urbandale, johnston areas

wish there were burbs like them on the east side of des moine to make the drive back home shorter

we have 2 kids 2 and 7

all our family and friends are here so i am not that excited to move

my dh went to drake so we are familiar with the area and have one set of friends in ankeny

we want an established subdivision with some trees, but access for fishing for my brother and brother n law to convince them to make the drive to visit

4-5 bedrooms at least 3000 sq feet

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
first things first, it's Des Moines, not Des Moine

Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
first things first, it's Des Moines, not Des Moine

so sorry that this is your only advice to me
i apologize but need support not criticism

e are coming from a burb just 30 min from downtown chicago and have always lived within an hour of the city and we live in district #203 i am pretty sure its #1 or in the top 5 in the state

Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Most of the suburban school districts here are good. West Des Moines, Urbandale, Johnston, Ankeny, Altoona, and Pleasant Hill are all nice. Beware of Pleasant Hill though, the homes on the west end of P. Hill are in the Des Moines School District (East High) and are not that great.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 AM

39 posts, read 167,237 times
Welcome to Iowa. If you are looking at West Des Moines, Urbandale, Johnston you will be in good hands in terms of schools with any of the 3. You may also want to look in Waukee but I know that puts you a tad further away from home and it is filled with newer neighborhoods and cookie cutter houses.

As far as similarity to Naperville and their schools, West Des Moines would probably be closest. It is the largest of the districts and there are plenty of neighborhoods that are 20-30+ years old. West Des Moines also seems to have more people moving in from out of state than the other 2 communities although I do not have stats to back that up. Johnston would put you closer to fishing and all things rural. Schools there are also very good. There are also some very nice wooded subdivision along the river but the majority of subdivisions are cookie-cutter, new neighborhoods. I live in Urbandale and like it here but the school district is smaller than what you'd be used to and it is more like a small town in that lots of the people living here (not me) grew up here and are known by their last name---i.e. mom, dad, grandma, grandpa all went to school here....if you have a certain last name, doors open more easily than they may otherwise....

Ankeny is another community you may want to look at. Similar to West Des Moines it would put you closer to the Chicago area by about 1/2 hour.

As far as Southeast Polk Schools, they too are very good but the district is very spread out and much more rural than any of the others mentioned. The Copper Creek subdivision in Pl. Hill is in that district and would have the square footage you'd want.

Bottom line, any of our suburban districts are really very good so it'll boil down to where you feel most comfortable. Spend a few days here. Walk around some neighborhoods to get their 'feel' and I think you'll know where you should be.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM

39 posts, read 167,237 times
Oh, and as far as when to move, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally I'd come before school starts in the fall for your 7 year old. If you were moving from Florida I'd say wait 'til spring but your winters gonna stink in either of these 2 places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines