Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
There are some "call center agents" type of insurance sales jobs that take place at the corporate location. Nationwide used to have a program like this, not sure if they still do.
Yes...there are a lot of these customer service type jobs at most of the major insurance cos. These are entry level jobs, but most companies want 4-yr degrees. Great way to get your foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Actually Johnston and I think Ankeny, both started last week.
Okay, let's reword what I said to be: MANY other schools in the area are also starting this week. I guess I did hear someone say that some chool started last week and theyt thought it was awful the started school during the fair...as if the fairt should control everyone's lives.

I don't have kids and don't have a clue about school schedules (or care). I just saw on the news today the DM started and I was happy because that meant my neighborhood would be nice and quiet this afternoon. They also mentioned several others that started yesterday or tomorrow or whatever.

I do know there are a few schools in my neighborhood but I have no idea what ones they are.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
The fair does control everything for a set amount of time, lol

Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM

93,354 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about looking into jobs at Drake or ISU? Perhaps another college or university too. I would think that they may have some openings that may be of interest to you. https://drake.hiretouch.com/

https://www.iastatejobs.com/applican...esults_css.jsp

Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM

103 posts, read 200,317 times
Default Very helpful information

Everyone here has been very helpful and has given my a lot of great information.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM

252 posts, read 591,269 times
Have you thought about using your education degree to become a trainer at a fiserv company like Wells, ING, or Nationwide? A lot of times, those individuals don't have any specialized industry training, but they are good at teaching others. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but it may be something you qualify for without having actually worked in that sector. Good foot in the door.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
Have you thought about using your education degree to become a trainer at a fiserv company like Wells, ING, or Nationwide? A lot of times, those individuals don't have any specialized industry training, but they are good at teaching others. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but it may be something you qualify for without having actually worked in that sector. Good foot in the door.
My personal observation isthat individuals leaving teaching can get hired at a financial svc'c companies, but will be required to put in a few yrs working on the business side of things before they'll be considered for a move to a training role. Again...that is just what I've witnessed and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,952 times
You'll drive a cab, but Wal-mart and McDonalds are beneath you?

Managers at McDonalds make a lot more than cab drivers.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 AM

74 posts, read 122,782 times
I'm from Des Moines haven't lived there for four or fives years. I actually have a wealthy family who you'd think could of hooked me up with a job while I was there but no dice. For me finding simple employment, not high paying jobs although this could work has always been about, being seen while there was an opening. I went out to Loffredo Produce Warehouse and other places filled out an app and because they had one opening they hired me, because they saw my face and that I was hungry for it. Sending out resumes is great but if you aren't getting the interviews people need to see your face. What people don't realize about job hunting is if there is no demand, or opening for a new employee it doesn't matter if you're a wizard they won't hire you, which also is a pretty good reason not to be discouraged. Also, with winter coming you'd probably better hustle before it's eight degrees out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines