Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'm going to be working in Ankeny but the property taxes seem high to me. It might be worth it if there are any really quiet neighborhoods for a 50-something single lady. Or would the east side of Altoona be better? I don't want to find myself in the middle of young families. I like children but not all the time.

For those in Altoona, is Adventureland noisey in the summer evenings? Does it generate a lot of traffic at opening and closing time?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM

178 posts, read 334,741 times
Bondurant? It shows signs of growth but is just a tiny bit off on its own.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
Bondurant? It shows signs of growth but is just a tiny bit off on its own.
No grocery stores over there, as far as I can tell, plus it looks like it would be hard commute on icy days. That's why I'm looking at Ankeny and Altoona. I realize some days are "no drive, no way," so it's nice not to be far away from grocery and drug stores.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
You're putting yourself in suburban family heaven so you're going to find yourself "in the middle of young families" in either place IMO.

I think you need to decide if a short commute if #1 priority or if you'd rather locate somewhere with more diverse population/similar interests.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,549 times
I will say Ankeny is going to very busy. It is a younger area. But depending on where you live in Altoona, you will be right on the main road for Adventureland. Plus I dont know how bright it is at night. Depending on your commute there is plenty of other towns around Des Moines that are really good.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your comments!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Altoona, Bondurant, Ankeny in that order. Bondurant is only 5 minutes away from the Hy-Vee in Altoona. Ankeny has gotten super busy over the past decade. Altoona is nice and Adventureland doesn't generate much noise or traffic. There are very few none drivable days in Iowa. Only one so far this year.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks, Luke. Glad to hear it hasn't been too bad. I monitor the TV stations online, and it looks like a lot of the storms have been east in Cedar Rapids. Still, I don't go very far when the semis are sliding off the road. I grew up in Michigan, so I know about winter driving, but the older I get, the less bold I am.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Thanks, Luke. Glad to hear it hasn't been too bad. I monitor the TV stations online, and it looks like a lot of the storms have been east in Cedar Rapids. Still, I don't go very far when the semis are sliding off the road. I grew up in Michigan, so I know about winter driving, but the older I get, the less bold I am.
Welll...if you live in Altoona you'll be forced to take I-80 on your commute. I-80 has some of the heaviest semi truck traffic in the US.

Given what you've shared here, I'd say Ankeny is probably where you'll be the happiest.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Yes, CCG, I think I may have to make some cuts elsewhere so I can afford the property taxes in Ankeny and avoid a long commute. Maybe I can find a house that's not in the middle of five families with toddlers. I'll be out in two weeks or whenever there's a five-day break in the weather.

I'm not worried about culture (diversity or lack thereof). When I'm not working, I'm reading or doing my own projects. I just like a certain amount of quiet when I'm home. I don't blast my stereo, TV, or otherwise disturb the neighbors and hope to find the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines