Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with the wider range of $1 choices being needed. It does eliminate a lot of sales and since the whole point of this event is to garner new customers it would benefit the participants to do so.

I think it should stay where it is, but they need to cover a larger area so the vendors are farther apart. Twice as far with seating between them would be good. A longer walk for us, but a lot less hassle with the crowding.

A woman we were in line with was talking about how hard it could be to find the end of a line and the idea came out of it to have a paddle like and auction house uses (I thought just a ping pong paddle) that would be passed to the last person in line.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be going again next year.
I don't know if sales would that effected if there were more $1 tastes. Maybe a LITTLE, but some people might by 5 $1 tastes to get a variety of things as opposed to 1 $5 item and it comes out the same. The point is, there were SO MANY vendors to choose from, why be "forced" to eat an entire entree and be done at one vendor when it would be much better to be able to snack your way from one end to the other. KWIM?

I don't know if spacing them out would really make that much difference unless they moved the tables to the sidewalk areas to clear the street out more for the lines going back from the booths as well.

BUT...if the items were primarily small "tastes" then there wouldn't be as great a need for seating as the food would be something most people could eat while walking. Hmmmm..........

Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
If they spread the booths out and placed the tables between them there would be more room for walking and lines.

Buying more $1 tastes is what I meant by sales being affected. I would think that there should be more sales of $1 items than $5 items. If getting noticed for your food is what you're trying to do then the more variety you get to people the more people are going to come to your restaurant.

You'll make more money selling 1000 items for $1 than you will selling 100 items at $5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'll be going again next year, as well, and I agree with many of the previous comments. I enjoyed the $1 tastes that I tried and got full on them. More importantly, it gave me an idea of the restaurants I'll try in the future. I would've liked a few more of them.

I left a little sooner than I had planned on Sunday: I'm not a big fan of crowds.

My sense was that they weren't expecting the number of people who showed up. The weather was excellent, and I suspect that played a part.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'll be going again next year, as well, and I agree with many of the previous comments. I enjoyed the $1 tastes that I tried and got full on them. More importantly, it gave me an idea of the restaurants I'll try in the future. I would've liked a few more of them.

I left a little sooner than I had planned on Sunday: I'm not a big fan of crowds.

My sense was that they weren't expecting the number of people who showed up. The weather was excellent, and I suspect that played a part.
I've been in years past and it has always been packed. IIRC the weather has always been good (at least the years I went). My memories are always of standing in a very long line to find the food item I am waiting for is sold out. happened this year too!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

Last year it was cold early (We always go early so we don't see sold out items) and it was not bad. Once it started to warm up it got crowded quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines