Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,909 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I think my husband and I might be moving to Des Moines. We've lived in a bunch of different bigger cities across the U.S. and always have done the cookie-cutter suburban or ex-urb thing, but this time we would love, love, love to buy a renovated older home with charm (or a new home designed to look like an old home) in an area very close to Drake (job) or in another "inner" (not suburban) neighborhood. We would love a real or reproduction Victorian or similar home with high ceilings, wood floors, etc. Charm is what we're going after here, not square footage. I would love to be able to walk to a coffee shop and have fun places to run with my dogs. We take great pride in our homes and love keeping them looking great. Unfortunately, we do not have the skills to properly renovate an old home by ourselves; once renovated, though, we are very good at maintenance. Can anyone point me to the neighborhoods or pockets of town (or websites) where I could find such housing? I do not want to be any more than 10 miles away (tops) from Drake. I have done more than my share of commuting for a lifetime. I will do as much research on my own as I can, but I would love to hear back from a Des Moines local who knows the area really well.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Sherman Hill.

Sherman Hill Neighborhood

It's pretty much right on the western edge of downtown and very close to Drake. For walking your dog, it's close to Woodlawn Cemetary, which is a really cool old cemetary. There are a few coffee shops/restaurants within walking distance, including one of my favorites, A Dong (Vietnamese/Vegetarian).

The downside to the neighborhood is that there are "projects" very close to it and you get a lot of foot traffic from these projects. The Sherman Hill area also has a ton of renters in the many small apartment buildings. I guess it gives it a little bit of character though. I don't know exactly what crime is like around there.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
I agree with the entire previous post.

There are also areas north and west of the Drake area that might work.

A little farther away (more expensive) south is "south of grand" which has older homes. Not really walking distance, but not terribly far, either.

Welcome to DSM.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
The Drake area is seeing some revitalization. When I left several years ago, people were practically giving homes away. Now there are homes that have been redone, seeing a good appreciation. Be carefull when buying in this area though. Some areas are still kind of sketchy.

Also the area just north of Ingersoll Ave I would suggest.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times
Parts of the Northeast side have some nice, old big homes. The area around Union Park and/or the neighborhood east of E 14th and south of Euclid, around E 6th or 9th might do you well. I think the neighborhood is called "River Bend" (or that could be the area to the north of the area I'm thinking about). There are a lot of older Victorian homes probably at decent prices in this neighborhood. Back in the 20's-50's, I guess it used to be a pretty swanky area. These days, not so much.

I guess I'd just look everywhere except directly east and south of downtown, really.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,909 times
Thanks to all of you. Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times
Good timing. I would look around the Drake area. Especially southwest. I drive to work on Cottage Grove and there are currently 4 or 5 houses that are under renovation on that street alone. It is going through an incredible transformation right now.

Sherman Hill is definately my favorate neighborhood, but you'll pay a lot more since that neighborhood is several years ahead of the one in Drake I mentioned.

Good luck and welcome to Des Moines!

Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,256 times
Here's some links from absoluteDSM.com that might give you an idea of these neighborhoods. I absolutely think everyone's been right on the money so far. Many of these neighborhoods are quickly becoming gentrified, so not only would this be a good place to live, but a good investment as well. I'd also check out their site and maybe ask around there...they're definitely the most "insider" Des Moines web community.

Sherman Hill Photo Gallery (http://www.absolutedsm.com/sherman_hill_photo_gallery.htm - broken link)

Ingersoll Ave. Photo Gallery (http://www.absolutedsm.com/Ingersoll_Avenue_Gallery.htm - broken link)

absolutedsm.com: Des Moines Development
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: