Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, it's growing, and for once, I'm riding the crest of the wave instead of being one of the last ones left to start turning out the lights. (I'm from Michigan and moved to Ohio, rustbelt states).

With growth, there's always a downside. I try not to think about that because I remember watching entire malls die, the saddest being Portside of Toledo, which is now COSI north, so at least it's no longer a vacant shell. Don't get me started on Detroit. I'm old enough to remember Christmas shopping at J L Hudson's in downtown and can remember Springhill before it burned in the riots of the late 1960s.

On the other hand, downtown Des Moines is wonderful! It's alive! I hear certain groups complain because there's not enough of their particular venues (not enough fine art galleries is one complaint) but so what? There aren't entire blocks of boarded up buildings! Night time doesn't bring out hundreds of zombies and meth heads: it brings out employed people ready to spend cash and have a good time, and with the three new hotels open, that's only going to help the growth.

That's how I see it. I'm glad to be here.
Yes, I lived in Michigan for a year. It seemed like a pretty bleak situation when I was there in 2000-2001. I do recall a lot of boarded up houses and just a general apathy or complacency among the people there.

I remember when I lived in Cedar Falls, IA in the 1990s and occasionally went to Sec Taylor Stadium (now Principal Park) on the weekends to watch the I-Cubs, and downtown kind of had a ghost-town feel then. It was mostly just a place that people worked Monday-Friday and that was it. The development downtown has been really cool to see. Now people work, play, shop, and live there. While Des Moines might not be a boomtown, it should continue to see steady growth in the future. I guess that's the best kind of growth to have and the changes will be gradual. A bustling downtown helps ensure that growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Des Moines is more of a "Vampire Town" that is sucking the blood right out of rural Iowa. Once the small towns completely dry up and there's nothing left to suck, I doubt Des Moines' growth will sustain its recent historical pace. Sure, a few out-of-state transplants will continue to make their way into Des Moines, but the real driver of its substantial growth (small-town Iowa kids) will eventually fade away.
Maybe it's where I live and where I go, but it seems like much of the growth I've seen here has been from immigrants. Of course this is just observational and I have no statistical data to back my claim up, but much of metro Des Moines seems incredibly ethnically diverse. While I don't dispute that small-town Iowa kids definitely dominate the growth here, I think the immigrant influx is largely underestimated in the city. And I believe there will be an uptick in immigrant populations as word gets out that Des Moines is a great place to live and raise a family. The same goes for out-of-staters who might be interested in enjoying a high quality of life for less money than they could in a larger urban environment.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Des Moines is more of a "Vampire Town" that is sucking the blood right out of rural Iowa. Once the small towns completely dry up and there's nothing left to suck, I doubt Des Moines' growth will sustain its recent historical pace. Sure, a few out-of-state transplants will continue to make their way into Des Moines, but the real driver of its substantial growth (small-town Iowa kids) will eventually fade away.
But isn't that happening everywhere? Where I'm from in TN, many rural counties and small towns don't have any jobs and are emptying out. I'd say the same thing is happening here in Indiana too.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
Maybe it's where I live and where I go, but it seems like much of the growth I've seen here has been from immigrants. Of course this is just observational and I have no statistical data to back my claim up, but much of metro Des Moines seems incredibly ethnically diverse. While I don't dispute that small-town Iowa kids definitely dominate the growth here, I think the immigrant influx is largely underestimated in the city. And I believe there will be an uptick in immigrant populations as word gets out that Des Moines is a great place to live and raise a family. The same goes for out-of-staters who might be interested in enjoying a high quality of life for less money than they could in a larger urban environment.
I saw a lot of immigrants on the east side when I lived there. Granted, DSM is still very, very white, and the suburbs are the whitest place I've ever seen.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I saw a lot of immigrants on the east side when I lived there. Granted, DSM is still very, very white, and the suburbs are the whitest place I've ever seen.
While it's true that the suburbs are very white, whites are definitely the minority in my apartment complex in West Des Moines. It's mostly Indians with many Latino and African-American families as well. I realize this diversity isn't common for the rest of West Des Moines, but seeing so many immigrants everyday leads me to believe that the immigrant population in the metro is higher than most people think. This may not be accurate statistically, but it seems true because I'm surrounded by a lot of ethnic diversity almost everywhere I go. I could be wrong, but I think the number of people in certain ethnic groups are underreported in Des Moines and its suburbs.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
While it's true that the suburbs are very white, whites are definitely the minority in my apartment complex in West Des Moines. It's mostly Indians with many Latino and African-American families as well. I realize this diversity isn't common for the rest of West Des Moines, but seeing so many immigrants everyday leads me to believe that the immigrant population in the metro is higher than most people think. This may not be accurate statistically, but it seems true because I'm surrounded by a lot of ethnic diversity almost everywhere I go. I could be wrong, but I think the number of people in certain ethnic groups are underreported in Des Moines and its suburbs.
Living in WDM a few blocks from a very large apartment complex I can tell you that I agree. Very diverse around here. And more non-whites in homes around us than a lot of posters here care to admit, or want to realize.

And I consider it a good thing.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
But isn't that happening everywhere? Where I'm from in TN, many rural counties and small towns don't have any jobs and are emptying out. I'd say the same thing is happening here in Indiana too.
Yes, the migration from rural to urban areas is happening everywhere...worldwide. It is laughable to think Des Moines has somehow created this unique occurence and it is only happening here. The important thing, is that Iowa offers urban areas for people to move to otherwise they leave the state completely.

The state as a whole would be losing population if not for its urban centers that are growing.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
With its growling population................
Is htere a correlation between angry dogs and boomtowns that I'm not aware of?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Is htere a correlation between angry dogs and boomtowns that I'm not aware of?
LOL! I was waiting for someone to catch that and bring that up. Thanks Duster! I missed it during the edit and it drove me crazy when I noticed it later and couldn't change it. Come to think of it, I've noticed a considerable increase in the angry dog population as well. so maybe it was a Freudian slip. Just kidding. Actually I've noticed an increase in angry birds. I almost got attacked by a red-winged blackbird the other day. But that's for another thread.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM

179 posts, read 247,930 times
Quote:
I don't think that's Des Moines fault. Small towns dying out has more to do with a fundamental shift in our economy. More reliance on goods and services, less self-sustained and less value to the farm economy. I think there are phenominal opportunities for small towns if they'd start to think out the box and work collectively. I have an idea I'm just itching to find the right people to make happen that would be great for small town Iowa.

That being said, I tend to think DSMs grwoth rate will probably slow a bit. For its own good I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines