Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Example, NYC has Burger King, and so does DSM, and everywhere else has it too.
Really? You met people who thought BK was a big city amenity? Well, I guess it wouldn't surprise me if you were hanging out with some sort of half-brainer like that. That or you made it up.

Des Moines does have big-city amenities. A better example than Burger King would be to look at the downtown - unparalleled to any other average city of its size, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
All I'm saying is...anyone can come up with a reason to impress themselves. Burger King comparison was simply a joke, one that you took seriously. Nice downtown for its size, I would agree to that. Yet, it's not a big city. Now everyone is comparing it to Wichita and Boise. That's probably accurate.

After all, Burger King is no different in NYC than anywhere else, and everywhere is part of the Earth too.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Now everyone is comparing it to Wichita and Boise. That's probably accurate.

After all, Burger King is no different in NYC than anywhere else, and everywhere is part of the Earth too.

- That's pretty much what we've been saying all along, not New York City.

- I believe we do have the BK that allows smoking on the corner of 2nd and University, thus making us more special and unique than NYC and their milquetoast, boring Burger Kings.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,581 times
Default huh?

It sounds like your city has to be a megacity to be a good city according to that poster.

I think its really funny how arrogant people can be for things that don't even matter to the rest of us.

Mid-sized cities are the best option and provide the best amenditities for most of everybody. But does it for everybody? No, but then again some people prefer the country, and even then some prefer to live in rolling hills, mountains, country in the desert.

So Des Moines and Omaha are not New York, and for one I prefer to not live in New York, but I also choose not to be arrogant about it like you. But we are all happy to hear your parting words and bridge burning tactics before you leave, and good luck wherever you go as I'm sure the grass is a billion shades greener than here..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post

- I believe we do have the BK that allows smoking on the corner of 2nd and University, thus making us more special and unique than NYC and their milquetoast, boring Burger Kings.
O ya, a Burger King that makes you fat AND intoxicates your body, what more is there to want?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
O ya, a Burger King that makes you fat AND intoxicates your body, what more is there to want?
I find this funny because I literally just finished my Burger King that I had for lunch. It really was good. Nothing wrong with it every once and awhile.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:51 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,421 times
Anderson-Erickson Dairy (Des Moines) beats Roberts hands down in the milk and yogurt department. Roberts (Omaha) beats AE in the cottage cheese department, especially with their large curd.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,788 times
[quote=El Rhino;3591814]Anderson-Erickson Dairy (Des Moines) beats Roberts hands down in the milk and yogurt department. quote]

BOO YAH! Take that Omaha!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 PM

113 posts, read 654,458 times
Hey..., Woodward Gal and all you sailors..., Back in the early 1990s' I went to look at an undeveloped piece of land and on my way up there, after I contacted the realtor, he showed me something I thought was very very interesting conscerning the Oregon Trail. There's a massive rock that looks like an old river boat, side wheeler, tall columns like you'd expect to find on a southern Mississippi River Boat, twin smoke stacks, one on each side. Its a flat bottomed double decker boat. The stone formation is natural and not man made. One could see that rock from many miles away. The early settlers used it as a landmark.

Hint, hint, hint, its not in Iowa. Go west. Its not too far from Nebraska. Its in one of the Poudre Valleys..., hint, hint, hint.

Personally, I find that big sign along the eastern edge of Omaha advertising gambling to be very distracting. Its north of I-80.

If I were to choose between the two, I'd pick Des Moines over Omaha because I'm more partial to Iowa than I am to Nebraska. However, parts of Nebraska are good too. I like McCook, North Platte, Hershey, and Wayne Nebraska too. If you like to look at old cars, Minturn Nebraska is the place to be! Someone's got a fabulous old car collection there that rivals Harrah's antique cars in Las Vegas Nevada and its open to the public. Minturn is a little east of North Platte.

Once, I spent some time around the big city of Binkleman Nebraska. It was fun, but; I wanted to get on home too, and my home isn't in Binkleman. A little south of Binkleman is where the Oregon Trail crosses, along their state lines, but the riverboat rock isn't there..., its somewhere else.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-27-2008, 05:46 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,581 times
Default ..

Obviously my area that I love is the Omaha/Lincoln/CB area, I am a fan of Des Moines, Sioux City, Sioux Falls and Oklahoma City.

I hate to say it, but I like Denver too, even though the people in Denver have this thing about Nebraskans which I have no idea what it is all about, except that when they talk about Nebraska or its people it usually reeks of some type of bitterness or superiority or something along those lines, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines