Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 PM

282 posts, read 236,274 times

Advertisements

I am still pretty new to Des Moines, but would love some feedback on great places in Des Moines. Food. Activities. Places to see. Events that come up (state fair I hear is one).
What should someone that's new to Des Moines, and Iowa in general, know to really appreciate what DM is all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Zombie burgers! Take a friend and order the cheese curds, too. It's too fattening to eat there all the time, but it's a great treat for me once in awhile.

Be-Bops has old fashioned "greasy" burgers. Love 'em! Again, not something I can eat all the time.

Maid Rite burgers . . . I don't like them, but some people think they're wonderful. They are worth trying once.

Iowa beef is to die for! I had quit eating most restaurant burgers until I moved out here.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
I am still pretty new to Des Moines, but would love some feedback on great places in Des Moines. Food. Activities. Places to see. Events that come up (state fair I hear is one).
What should someone that's new to Des Moines, and Iowa in general, know to really appreciate what DM is all about?
A Dong Vietnamese Restaurant. I would always take out of town guests there. Best eggrolls EVER.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,543 times
COFFEE: Okay first off best coffee in Des Moines is Mars Cafe!!! (If you like sweet coffee get the Sputnik) They have a location next to Drake University and a location attached to Raygun (Cool t-shirt/print store) downtown. You should also check out Ritual Cafe downtown. PRO TIP- everyone says go to Smokey Row- its a cool looking place and fun to hang out but the coffee sucks.

FOOD: Best burger in my opinion is at Exile Brewery (also have amazing local beer!), best Pho is at Pho All Seasons, best soul food is at Bubba which is really new, best Mexican food is at Nacho Taquillas in Windsor Heights (or maybe Clive). If you LOVE beer go to El Bait Shop- super laid back and the basically the coolest place ever.

THINGS TO SEE: Idk if you like historic neighborhoods/buildings but Beaverdale, Old Windsor Heights, Waveland and Sherman Hill are my favorite historic neighborhoods. I also highly recommend checking out the Des Moines capitol building. Its gorgeous outside and even cooler inside! And go on a tour at the Salisbury House!

THINGS TO DO: -The Historical Building has free admission and has an Iowa exhibit right now! Its a really nice museum. The Botanical Center has a pretty cheap admission price and its gorgeous (especially in the winter when you want to get rid of the snow blues). All the festivals are great in DM (Art Fest, beer fest, 80/35, etc.). If you have dogs Water Works Park is an amazing place to bring them. Huge, gorgeous, lots of ponds and water for them to swim in..also it says they have to be on a leash but I always let mine off and I've never gotten in trouble!

Those are my favs! If you need anymore recommendations let me know and I'd be happy to comply!!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Things to do: Downtown Farmer's Market (May - Oct), Downtown Arts Festival; Iowa State Fair, Salisbury House, bike trails, visit local breweries/tap rooms; Des Moines Civic Center.

Restaurants: best variety of local eats are downtown. Some favs: Malo, Centro, Django, Zombie, Court Ave Brewery, Iowa Tap Room, The Royal Mile, Guru BBQ, Olympic Flame, ROCA, 801 Steak & Chop (warning: $$$) Fong's Pizza

Old 02-13-2017, 02:57 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymissmiles View Post
COFFEE: Okay first off best coffee in Des Moines is Mars Cafe!!! (If you like sweet coffee get the Sputnik) They have a location next to Drake University and a location attached to Raygun (Cool t-shirt/print store) downtown. You should also check out Ritual Cafe downtown. PRO TIP- everyone says go to Smokey Row- its a cool looking place and fun to hang out but the coffee sucks.

FOOD: Best burger in my opinion is at Exile Brewery (also have amazing local beer!), best Pho is at Pho All Seasons, best soul food is at Bubba which is really new, best Mexican food is at Nacho Taquillas in Windsor Heights (or maybe Clive). If you LOVE beer go to El Bait Shop- super laid back and the basically the coolest place ever.

THINGS TO SEE: Idk if you like historic neighborhoods/buildings but Beaverdale, Old Windsor Heights, Waveland and Sherman Hill are my favorite historic neighborhoods. I also highly recommend checking out the Des Moines capitol building. Its gorgeous outside and even cooler inside! And go on a tour at the Salisbury House!

THINGS TO DO: -The Historical Building has free admission and has an Iowa exhibit right now! Its a really nice museum. The Botanical Center has a pretty cheap admission price and its gorgeous (especially in the winter when you want to get rid of the snow blues). All the festivals are great in DM (Art Fest, beer fest, 80/35, etc.). If you have dogs Water Works Park is an amazing place to bring them. Huge, gorgeous, lots of ponds and water for them to swim in..also it says they have to be on a leash but I always let mine off and I've never gotten in trouble!

Those are my favs! If you need anymore recommendations let me know and I'd be happy to comply!!
I'd add to that a tour of the Governor's Mansion. I lived in Des Moines 12 years and it wasn't until my last year there that I finally took that tour. It's a beautiful place and our guide obviously loved his job. He had lots of great stories about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: