Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Yeah, I can understand that. It's just cool to know that such a facility has been built here in Iowa. I think it's the biggest ape research facility in North America, or at least one of the biggest.

There was a special about this facility on the Discovery channel but I missed it. Did you see it?

I saw clips of it on the internet. It looks pretty cool.

I guess one of those bonobos (fun to say) played the chimes on a Peter Frampton album or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,660 times
Quote:
I really hope that Des Moines proper starts growing again. Some people seem to think Des Moines isn't doing that well because the city proper has lost population. But downtown is definitely improving.
It's hard to think of any place that wouldn't be improved if a large percentage of the
people would get lost.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
I really hope that Des Moines proper starts growing again. Some people seem to think Des Moines isn't doing that well because the city proper has lost population. But downtown is definitely improving. And the suburbs are out of control.

Maybe Des Moines should take try to do what Omaha did, build condos downtown and try to lure retail and restaurants downtown, also you could get a bigger Convention Center like we did and perhaps a new high rise.

Small question, does Des Moines have a place like the old Market of Omaha? If it doesn't, it should try to get one so it could play that card.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,278 times
What great ideas. We should start doing some of that in downtown Des Moines.

If you ever get the itch to have a weekend trip, it sounds like you could use a trip to Des Moines to learn a little more about the place.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
What great ideas. We should start doing some of that in downtown Des Moines.

Ha ha.

The condo building downtown is getting out of hand. Who is even moving into them? I hear they're going to shut down Vaudeville Mews to build condos... When they start closing thriving and interesting establishments downtown, no one is going to want to live there. The only advantages to living downtown without places like that would be being able to take the skywalks to Burger King, but only before 4pm.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Ha ha.

The condo building downtown is getting out of hand. Who is even moving into them? I hear they're going to shut down Vaudeville Mews to build condos... When they start closing thriving and interesting establishments downtown, no one is going to want to live there. The only advantages to living downtown without places like that would be being able to take the skywalks to Burger King, but only before 4pm.
We don't close down businesses for condos, we just use our old abandoned buildings or build new ones.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
We don't close down businesses for condos, we just use our old abandoned buildings or build new ones.

We don't either....until now.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
Things like the Vaudville Mews situation (which isn't even a done deal at this point) happen in every city in the world. It's called "gentrification". It happens in New York, it happens in Omaha, and it happens in Des Moines.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
The only reason the Mews would move is because it is a live music venue and they probably can't insulate against the noise to the upper floors. Nothing is a done deal, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM

149 posts, read 686,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123syl View Post
We like it because like me these people have grown up in Des Moines or surrounding area or have lived here for many years. Seriously, Des Moines is improving, but some people just don't seem to realise. And lets remember that your from CORALVILLE.
Actually, I'm not FROM Coralville, I just live there currently. And, what does that have to do with me giving my opinion of Des Moines? Seems like pretty frequently when I state my opinion, someone brings up the fact that I live in Coralville...not quite sure where you all are going with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines