Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonii View Post
Hi - how about the difference between a regular basement and the new style (new for my eyes) walk out ones? Which one is the most popular and why ?
Well - a walk out basement isn't anything new .... so not sure what you mean. But I guess you don't see as many of them as regular basements. Usually people have them when the houses are on slopes. Walk outs may tend to get more water, but not sure.

Personally - I would rather have a regular basement because it's safer for tornadoes, but that odds of a tornado hitting your house are slim to none so you don't really need to worry about that - it's just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 AM

23 posts, read 91,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Well - a walk out basement isn't anything new .... so not sure what you mean. But I guess you don't see as many of them as regular basements. Usually people have them when the houses are on slopes. Walk outs may tend to get more water, but not sure.

Personally - I would rather have a regular basement because it's safer for tornadoes, but that odds of a tornado hitting your house are slim to none so you don't really need to worry about that - it's just a personal preference.
Thanks...the only time I have seen the walk out basements is from the realty sites...they are new to me. We don't have basements here so the houses are smaller for space. I prefer the regular ones, for safety as well as looks. Another thing..do you get the Japanese beetles there ? They are nasty here in SC. I am not actually from SC, I am from Canada.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Yea, we do have Japanese Beetles. But from my experience, I wouldn't say they are nasty or too bad - I dont know, maybe some years are worse than others. I would think you will be more annoyed with ladybugs during the Fall Harvest here in IA - same with Box Elder Bugs. Oh, and misquitoes.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Yea, we do have Japanese Beetles. But from my experience, I wouldn't say they are nasty or too bad - I dont know, maybe some years are worse than others. I would think you will be more annoyed with ladybugs during the Fall Harvest here in IA - same with Box Elder Bugs. Oh, and misquitoes.
We have a lot of *** Beetles here, they pretty much eat all of the leaves on some plants/bushes. We also have bug bags for them...works really well but they smell nasty. Mosquitoes we have here too, same with tics. Thanks again for the information

Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonii View Post
Hi - how about the difference between a regular basement and the new style (new for my eyes) walk out ones? Which one is the most popular and why ?
Walk out basements are generally preferred. They provide much more natural light, access to the basement from the outside of the home, and it's easier to get bulky items in to basements (furniture).

Whether or not your home has a walk out basement is a function of how much slope your building lot has. Building lots with enough slope are a little hard to come by around Des Moines so you'll see alot more "traditional" basements with the small windows. Because walk out basements are more desireable and the low availablity of building lots that could function as walk outs - you will pay substantially more for a home with a walk out basement.

Yet another type of basement you will see is a "daylight" basement. These are basements with regular sized windows, but no doors. These still require a building lot with some slope, but not as much slope as a walk out. You will see this type of basement more frequently than a walk out in Des Moines. Daylights are a little more pricey than a standard basement -again becuase of their desirablilty and rarity of building sites.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Walk out basements are generally preferred. They provide much more natural light, access to the basement from the outside of the home, and it's easier to get bulky items in to basements (furniture).

Whether or not your home has a walk out basement is a function of how much slope your building lot has. Building lots with enough slope are a little hard to come by around Des Moines so you'll see alot more "traditional" basements with the small windows. Because walk out basements are more desireable and the low availablity of building lots that could function as walk outs - you will pay substantially more for a home with a walk out basement.

Yet another type of basement you will see is a "daylight" basement. These are basements with regular sized windows, but no doors. These still require a building lot with some slope, but not as much slope as a walk out. You will see this type of basement more frequently than a walk out in Des Moines. Daylights are a little more pricey than a standard basement -again becuase of their desirablilty and rarity of building sites.
Thanks, that help a lot...I have seen the daylight ones too with the egress windows.. I like them a lot...makes me actually feel like I am in a basement. This is all new to me being in SC...there are no basements. I am looking forward to having the extra space for a pool table or ping pong table and some exercize equipment...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines