Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,098 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just relocated to Des Moines and love it!

I have a 3-part question that I hope you will be able to help me out with. I hope that I am not breaking board rules by asking this and if I am, I apologize.

I need to rent out the top floor of my story and a half bungalow in Beaverdale. Where would be the best place to list it? Do most people in the area use Craigs List or the Des Moines Register, or is there another alternative?

The second part of my question is this: I am not sure how much is a fair asking price. I have looked on Craigs List, but I don't see anything like what I have to offer (large bedroom and private bath). Any thoughts on this? I am particularly worried about underpricing it given the way utilities are going up.

The third part: would my rental as a private individual be constrained by any city mandates pertaining to renters? As I understand it, as a private individual renting out part of a private home, I have far more leeway than a regular landlord?

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
I would first try Craigslist to see what kind of response you get.

My thoughts on the price are, a fair price is what other rentals are renting at. I don't think you can ask more than other rentals in the area based on the setup. For instance, if you are asking $700 per month for rent, and a one bedroom apartment a block away is asking $500, most people will probably go for the cheaper rental. Rent prices are normally set by other rentals in the area. Kind of like looking at comps for real estate values.

On the landlord issue, I would contact a real estate attorney. I wouldn't take legal advice off a public forum. Unless, of course, the person giving the advice was a verified attorney.

Hope that helped. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,352 times
Couldn't agree more. Sit down, talk to a real-estate attorney--get their help in drafting a strong lease agreement, since that's where most of your legal power is going to come from, I suspect.

Whatever it costs is going to be worth it in saved headaches later, I'm sure!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,098 times
Default Thanks

I keep going back and forth over the decision to take in a housemate. The idea of opening my house to basically a complete stranger is creeping me out. But, student loans are coming due and this is the alternative to taking on a part-time job.

You are right of course about speaking with a real estate attorney. I did find some information online pertaining to landlord situations, but I need info on the legalities pertaining to house/roommates.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
It seems wierd to do in places like Iowa. When I lived in San Jose, CA it was perfectly normal to solicit roomates.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
I've always had good luck finding renters when I use Des Moines Register. I've used it for finding tenants for a townhome, so it is not exactly the same as what you're doing.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines