Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,764 times

Advertisements

I need to park my car for the weekend in Des Moines. Are there any suggestions on where I could do that? Thank you so much for ANY help you have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,624 times
Just for the weekend? There's probably a ton of places to choose. How about at a shopping mall or church parking lot?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,764 times
oh okay. those are great ideas! they wouldn't tow my car if i did that?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM

I've parked my car in few sketchier places and haven't had bad luck yet. That's not to guarantee that if you're parking on private property, you won't get towed, but think about the logistics of a mall parking lot. There's so many people coming and going, nobody would probably even notice a car parked there over the course of a weekend. You could probably park on a safe residential public street somewhere and be fine for the weekend too.

Another suggestion would be one of the big truck stops in Altoona or Clive.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Yeah, I'd just park in a 24 hour Wal-Mart's parking lot, they'll never notice. If you park it at a shopping mall they'll notice when it closes.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 33,217 times
there is a park and ride car park garage between 6th and 7th just south of I-235

Free weekends.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,624 times
Guys, need some help with parking in Downtown. I need to park my car overnight from Sunday to Monday. Where can I do that? I thought about city ramps but I'm not sure if it is allowed to enter the ramp on Sunday for free and leave on Monday when you have to paid. I'm willing to pay, I'm just not sure is they will charge me extra fees. So, what do you think?

Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Here's a link to the City of Des Moines' public parking garage rates, including 24-hour parking rates:
Engineering - Parking

Personally, if I had to store my car downtown for a quick duration, I would park in the Nationwide Insurance parking ramp at 13th and Walnut Streets near the top level. This is a massive 10-story garage that is wide open to the public on the weekends. While the garage is private property, the thing has like 1,200 stalls and I doubt anyone would notice a car parked in a non-reserved spot for a day. This would be a free option, provided that you could leave later in the evening after the weekday parking attendants are gone.

Another free parking suggestion where you're at your own risk, albeit a minimum one if you're only there for one day, is to park in the AllPlay surface parking lot at 2nd and Watson Powell.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 961 times
Tired of rude people parking on the residential street and taking up basically two spots. This does not leave spaces for others to be able to park, like in front of their house and not down the street. Even though the spaces are not marked off, common sense should come into play when parking at curb side in a area where 2 vehicles could park. Anyone have clues to this issue? Thanks

Last edited by ElleTea; 04-20-2018 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Personal email address posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines