Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 74,062 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to Des Moines and I have no idea where I should live. Ideally, I'd like a short commute and a good neighborhood. Whether I live in the city or the country makes no difference to me. Can anyone suggest any good locations in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,490 times
If you'd like a short commute, it would be helpful to know where you are working.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM

44 posts, read 74,062 times
Yeah, that would be helpful, I guess.
Nationwide.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 PM

70 posts, read 273,668 times
I work at Nationwide too, welcome to Des Moines! Where are you moving from, what do you consider a good commute (time, majority interstate, etc). Are you male or female, significant other, children, what do you like to do, are you looking to rent or buy, house or condo, newer construction, something older with more character???

I would start by looking at www.IowaRealty.com (broken link) or Real Estate Listings & Homes for Sale | Real Estate Agent Search | Coldwell Banker
Try and answer some of the questions above and we can probably narrow it down for you.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
If you like old houses- Waterbury area or South of Grand

Gated commnity- glen oaks in west des moines

newer homes in good school district- west des moines or waukee

Any "commute" in Des Moines is short. Traffic can be heavy at 7:30 on the freeway.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 57,053 times
I would recommend Urbandale for it is centrally located and devolped. Close to everything!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM

70 posts, read 273,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you like old houses- Waterbury area or South of Grand

Gated commnity- glen oaks in west des moines

newer homes in good school district- west des moines or waukee

Any "commute" in Des Moines is short. Traffic can be heavy at 7:30 on the freeway.
Lets not short change Johnston and Ankeny school quality.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,854 times
Being from Des Moines I have some realistic suggestions for you. Not knowing whether you want to rent or buy I'll give you both options.

On renting- I lived for a year at Pointewest Apartments in West Des Moines, the 1 bedroom was 850/month plus about $30 in utilities. Good move in specials. A bit of an older community although they boast that they are 1/3 young, 1/3 middle aged, and 1/3 older residents.
For someone in their mid 20's I would recommend Wellington Apartments in West Des Moines, on the corner of 50th st and EP True. On a non-rush hour time period it would probably take about 15-20 minutes to get downtown. Traffic usually slows to a crawl around 72nd st on I-235.

On buying- I would suggest you stray away from Clive or Urbandale for suburbs. Most love living in West Des Moines (WDM), Waukee, or even Ankeny/Johnston. It obviously depends on your price range, but you can get a decent 3 bedroom/2 bath in any of these communities for about 170,000 (median).

I would suggest that living downtown (unless you're one of the urban types) not be your first choice. There aren't many grocery stores right downtown, shopping, not a ton of restaurants, and as far as getting involved most people live in the suburbs and commute to downtown (reason for the traffic issues).

Let me know if you have any other questions about getting involved in the community or moving- I'll try to answer any you might have!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirlatheart80 View Post
I would suggest that living downtown (unless you're one of the urban types) not be your first choice. There aren't many grocery stores right downtown, shopping, not a ton of restaurants, and as far as getting involved most people live in the suburbs and commute to downtown (reason for the traffic issues).
This response makes me question if you've ever been downtown.

How many people live within walking distance of a grocery store? You'll be no different than most if you live downtown (there is an upscale grocery store on the edge of downtown (Gateway Market) and a full-service grocery store less than 5 minutes away. How many in the suburbs live close to mulitple grocery stores? Non-issue in your decision.

Shopping - you're a ways from any discount stores or malls, but they are only 15 - 20 minutes away. Very similar to if you lived in the suburbs. Non-issue in your decision. There is some shopping and also services (hairstylies, barbers, eye drs, dentists, chiro, etc) so you'll have several opportunities to walk to these things (as opposed to most who live in the suburbs). Plus for downtown living.

I am at a complete loss at the comment about resturants. During the weekday, you'll have 100 or so places that offer lunch. Evenings and weekends, probably more llike 50 and they are some of the best resturants in Des Moines. Another plus for downtown.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastermindDSM View Post
Lets not short change Johnston and Ankeny school quality.
Yes, that is true. Pretty much any high school is good, but I would avoid East, North, Lincoln, and Hoover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines