Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,894 times

Advertisements

In a few weeks, I am finally escaping Orlando, FL. & will moving to central Iowa. Will be in quaint little Greenfield till I find a job [retail/customer service? or?] & an apartment. [studio around $500?]
Have been web-searching alot Urbandale, Clive, West Des Moines, but still uncertain which is better. Any thoughts?
Have found these apartments that look decent; not sure if they are if they are safe, quiet, nice, well-maintained, close to shopping. What do you know about: Plaza Manor, Timberlane Crest, Park West I & II, Timberland at Meredith, West Winds, Crest Manor, Chad Apts.....?
Thanks
[SWF/56/0 kids]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,894 times
Default Urbandale, West Des Moines or Clive?

In a few weeks, this SWF [56/0 kids] is escaping Orlando, FL. & moving to the Des Moines area.

I'll be in Greenfield till I find a decent-paying job [retail/customer service? or ?]....& an apartment [studio/eff. around $500?] that's safe, quiet, good management, quiet, nice, quiet, well-maintained, close to shopping, maybe even walking distance to a job. And did I mention quiet!? ;->

I'm looking at Urbandale, West Des Moines, & Clive, but I'm still uncertain which area is better. Your thoughts?
After ALOT of web-searching, I've found several apartments that look decent. If you know about any of these places ~ Chad Apts., Crest Manor, Park West I & II, Plaza Manor, Timberland at Meredith, Timberlane Crest, or West Winds ~ & would like to share your views, good or bad, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 08:24 AM

13 posts, read 82,988 times
I prefer Urbandale to all the suburbs. I live there now in an apartment and someday I hope to own a house there. If you don't mind driving further to downtown, you could save some money by living out in Altoona or Ankeny. Both are decent sized and offer most everything you'll need. Ankeny is much bigger, closer, and accomodating. Altoona is probably cheaper living because it's a 10 minute drive to the edge of DM. All the suburbs are fine for living though, West Des Moines, Clive, Urbandale, Windsor Heights, Waukee, Johnston, Ankeny, Altoona, etc.

In my opinion and according to my standards... Chad apartments, Timerland at Meredith are ghetto and run down. Timberland accepts public assistance so there's tons of welfare momas and drug dealings down there. I lived there for a while. Chad just looks straight run down. Check out the places off of 86th St. near I-80. Check Sun Prairie in WDM. Check Hickman between 86th and I-80. Maybe Weston Park in DM. Considering you don't have kids, you may want to check into apartments/condos/lofts downtown if that's your thing, especially if you're into night life.

Last edited by Nicnatros; 05-23-2007 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 AM

13 posts, read 82,988 times
By the way, why are you leaving Orlando? I've always held a hope that I will move there someday for the year round warm weather and the ocean nearby.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times
I can see why you are leaving Orlando...I have been many times and HATE it! It's like a fake city, like you're living in a movie set there. I don't know how my friends do it.

Anyways, Urbandale, WDSM, and Clive are all nice. Really, no areas of DSM are THAT bad. Crime is so few and far between there, it's so nice and safe almost everywhere. Urbandale is a very nice, residential area. WDSM is nice of course, but bigger and has more of a surburban feel (tons of strip malls, chain restaurants, etc). And Clive is just a tiny area in between, sort of. It's all crammed in next to one another, the area isn't that big to begin with.

I don't know a thing about any apts there; I grew up in DSM, my family is still there as are many friends (all over town) but I don't know anyone in apts. I would say, most are "safe" but some are probably just nicer than the others.

I know Orlando has some crime now, and where I live we are Top 3 for crime in the US, and believe me...Des Moines will be a blessing to you. The only crime I ever experienced living there were high school kids walking home and throwing some trash in our yard. Seriously, it's a wonderful city.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,646 times
Yeah I here Orlando, and most of Florida is getting rediculous. Rapidly rising cost of living, rising crime, etc. Like the above poster stated, even the "bad" areas of Des Moines aren't that bad. I wouldn't live in the getto, but that area is easily avoidable.

Urbandale has cheaper property tax, and is less suburban feel. West DSM and Clive are strip malls, chain stores and cookie cutter houses. There are many nice areas of Des Moines that aren't cookie cutter areas. Nice old brick homes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines