Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 PM

221 posts, read 485,141 times

Advertisements

Actually, I want to move back to Oakland County.

Alittle background info. about me...

I'm a 28 year old single male. I'm originally from Ann Arbor, MI (born and raised). I graduated from Lawrence Technological University (in Southfield, MI) in 2006 with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. I've worked a couple of professional jobs. I've moved around alot in these last four years, I guess since I never allowed myself the opportunity to travel and explore new areas. I'm currently living in Kansas City, MO (after a 2 year stint in Wichita), and I'm really starting to miss my home area.

So, has there been any improvements in the Michigan economy at all? The main reason why I'm not back in Michigan right now, is due to my concern over the ecnonomy, and my chances of being able to make a living. I spent my last three years of college (out of 6 total) in Southfield for school, and I really like that area, which is why Oakland County is my preference. I like what OC offers as well as it's proximity to Detroit proper.

I've lived in alot of places: Philadelphia, washington, DC, Los Angeles, very very short stint in San Francisco, Wichita, and now Kansas City, MO, and as nice as some of these places are, there's no place like home. I don't have to do engineering, though I want a professional job that pays decent. I've picked up various skills in the jobs that I have worked in the past.

I've read the reports, heard the news about the economy disaster of the Detroit area (Michigan in general), but there has to be people getting jobs in SE Michigan. I sure hope to God so. After all this moving around and exploring, I'm finished playing games, and just want to return to SE Michigan and settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 PM

323 posts, read 1,132,595 times
I understand your desire to return home. While Michigan's economy is in the toilet (which isn't news), from my experience it is easier to proceed with your life once you've decided where you want to live. Things tend to fall into place once you conquer the geographic obstacle. People are finding jobs in Southeast Michigan. I would say if you really want to be back home, then save some money to have a comfortable amount of cash for while you're job searching. Look for a job from K.C. and save up, and return once you have a decent amount of cash - job or not. Be willing to do some internships or work non professional jobs for a bit if need be, but keep pushing. Do research on companies that you may be interested in working for and introduce yourself. I think it's a lot easier to find a job when you're in Detroit rather than looking for a job in Detroit while you're out of state. Put yourself out there, be determined and persevere and you'll be fine. One of the many good things about the Detroit area for someone your age is home prices, especially since you're interested in settling down. I think eventually something would work for you there, but you have to understand that it may take time. But if home is where you want to be, the wait may be worth it. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

364 posts, read 878,437 times
The economy is still in the toilet, but it IS improving. And Oakland county is beautiful! So good luck to you, hopefully you will return to the great state of MI soon!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,507,599 times
If you want to come back, make sure you've got a job lined up. There are opportunities, but you really need to do your research.

I don't mean to be "doom and gloom" , but anyone who moves here needs to be realistic about what the situation is here. You need a job before you move back. Saving up a bunch of cash and just moving (w/o a job) isn't going to do you much good if you end up spending it all to try to find a job and trying to support yourself at the same time. Get your job first, then move.

There are people getting jobs, but you have to have the right skill sets. I've also noticed a lot more small businesses opening up lately to fill niche markets.

As for improvement, we are 49th, not 50th in terms of unemployment (we're ahead of Nevada). The film tax credits have generated a lot of buzz; however, towns are cutting everything and everywhere. (Troy might lose the library; Waterford cut a lot of cops recently; the village of Clarkston is discussing not being its own town anymore and merging w/Independence Township(I think that's the one)) There's talk that the Piston's might move downtown, so that's going to leave a big hole for Auburn Hills. This area was on life-support before it was announced that someone bought Chrysler in 2009, so a lot of people feel like we've dodged a bullet, but it is "cautious optimism". Oakland County, in someways, is a lot different that it was even 5 years ago - and it's mainly because the economy.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,994,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
The film tax credits have generated a lot of buzz; however, towns are cutting everything and everywhere. (Troy might lose the library; Waterford cut a lot of cops recently; the village of Clarkston is discussing not being its own town anymore and merging w/Independence Township(I think that's the one)) There's talk that the Piston's might move downtown, so that's going to leave a big hole for Auburn Hills. This area was on life-support before it was announced that someone bought Chrysler in 2009, so a lot of people feel like we've dodged a bullet, but it is "cautious optimism". Oakland County, in someways, is a lot different that it was even 5 years ago - and it's mainly because the economy.
Wow, if Troy loses the library that will really hurt the community. That is one thing I miss in the South - libraries like the one in Troy.
They need to diversify their economy quickly!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM

183 posts, read 467,868 times
Quote:
If you want to come back, make sure you've got a job lined up. There are opportunities, but you really need to do your research.

I don't mean to be "doom and gloom" , but anyone who moves here needs to be realistic about what the situation is here. You need a job before you move back. Saving up a bunch of cash and just moving (w/o a job) isn't going to do you much good if you end up spending it all to try to find a job and trying to support yourself at the same time. Get your job first, then move.

There are people getting jobs, but you have to have the right skill sets. I've also noticed a lot more small businesses opening up lately to fill niche markets.

As for improvement, we are 49th, not 50th in terms of unemployment (we're ahead of Nevada). The film tax credits have generated a lot of buzz; however, towns are cutting everything and everywhere. (Troy might lose the library; Waterford cut a lot of cops recently; the village of Clarkston is discussing not being its own town anymore and merging w/Independence Township(I think that's the one)) There's talk that the Piston's might move downtown, so that's going to leave a big hole for Auburn Hills. This area was on life-support before it was announced that someone bought Chrysler in 2009, so a lot of people feel like we've dodged a bullet, but it is "cautious optimism". Oakland County, in someways, is a lot different that it was even 5 years ago - and it's mainly because the economy.
ITA with everything you said! OP, whatever you decide to do please make sure you have a job waiting on you.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
I've lived in alot of places: Philadelphia, washington, DC, Los Angeles, very very short stint in San Francisco, Wichita, and now Kansas City, MO, and as nice as some of these places are, there's no place like home.
Maybe because you are in Kansas City MO that Metro Detroit is looking good?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 PM

117 posts, read 368,055 times
Quote:
I strongly agree with this advice. Trying to get a job in this economy isn't easy and I've known a lot of people who had to move out of state to get a job.

Your comment on Troy Library being in danger is the first that I had heard of it so I just went to look up some info on it. I am stunned that the Troy Library is apparently going to close next year! That is a beautiful library and I used to love going there to check things out even though I lived in Sterling Heights at the time. I really hope that something can be done to save it.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM

654 posts, read 3,458,259 times
If you do move back to Detroit, watch out for the goons from OCP...lol (I'm sure some will pick that up)

Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 AM

221 posts, read 485,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Maybe because you are in Kansas City MO that Metro Detroit is looking good?
Well, that's certainly part of it. Detroit is (or was) way more exciting and interesting than KC.

Anyway, thank you all who responded. It looks like Michigan wouldn't be a good choice. I am looking at other options. I posted a thread in city-vs-city about Minneapolis as an option. I'm also looking at some of the cities that I've lived in before. Either way, I will be moving. Not that KC is a terrible city, it's just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit