Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Well, that's certainly part of it. Detroit is (or was) way more exciting and interesting than KC.

Anyway, thank you all who responded. It looks like Michigan wouldn't be a good choice. I am looking at other options. I posted a thread in city-vs-city about Minneapolis as an option. I'm also looking at some of the cities that I've lived in before. Either way, I will be moving. Not that KC is a terrible city, it's just not for me.
I lived in Minneapolis for 1 1/2 years. It's a great place....the only downside is the winter. But everything else about it was very, very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:47 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Have you looked into Indianapolis too? I almost relocated there, but settled on Charlotte NC instead.
It is a very clean town, with a pretty good football team

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

308 posts, read 427,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Have you looked into Indianapolis too? I almost relocated there, but settled on Charlotte NC instead.
It is a very clean town, with a pretty good football team
Are we talking about the 0-4 Panthers of this year or the 8-8 Panthers of last year?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
If you want to come back, make sure you've got a job lined up. There are opportunities, but you really need to do your research.

I don't mean to be "doom and gloom" , but anyone who moves here needs to be realistic about what the situation is here. You need a job before you move back. Saving up a bunch of cash and just moving (w/o a job) isn't going to do you much good if you end up spending it all to try to find a job and trying to support yourself at the same time. Get your job first, then move.

There are people getting jobs, but you have to have the right skill sets. I've also noticed a lot more small businesses opening up lately to fill niche markets.

As for improvement, we are 49th, not 50th in terms of unemployment (we're ahead of Nevada). The film tax credits have generated a lot of buzz; however, towns are cutting everything and everywhere. (Troy might lose the library; Waterford cut a lot of cops recently; the village of Clarkston is discussing not being its own town anymore and merging w/Independence Township(I think that's the one)) There's talk that the Piston's might move downtown, so that's going to leave a big hole for Auburn Hills. This area was on life-support before it was announced that someone bought Chrysler in 2009, so a lot of people feel like we've dodged a bullet, but it is "cautious optimism". Oakland County, in someways, is a lot different that it was even 5 years ago - and it's mainly because the economy.
Exactly. It's amazing to me how many people on these boards are itching to move so badly without anything secured or based on hopes or anecdotal evidence. Get the job first and THEN move, NOT the other way around.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:10 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc0803 View Post
Are we talking about the 0-4 Panthers of this year or the 8-8 Panthers of last year?
Ooh, no! I was talking about the Colts. Not sure how they are doing now though.
I thought I would move to a city with a better football team, geez - I might as well keep rooting for the Lions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit