Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anyone else like me who actually REALLY LIKES the Middle Eastern presense in Metro Detroit?
Yay! 28 63.64%
Nay! 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Anyone else like me who actually REALLY LIKES the Middle Eastern presense in Metro Detroit?

Most of them are Lebanon, who are actually Christian anyways. On top of that, the non-christian, the muslims, are actually good, honest people with a lot of great values (to people who are concerned about such things).

In addition, when you walk around the malls of Metro Detroit...if you are a guy, quite a few very attractive women to look at They dress well, look very fashionable, and really take care of themselves. Nice exotic look and edge to the city of Detroit, that it really needs.

Then, you have the FOOD. Lebananese, Iraqi, etc. Certainly adds to the spice of life having so much great food in the Metro Detroit area.

Who else is glad to see the Middle Eastern presense in the Metro Detroit area? I can't be the only one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 AM

902 posts, read 1,925,769 times
I don't have a problem with it since they have been settling in the area for a very long time now (since the 1940's ?) and blend in well , many have never lived anywhere else . Whenever I shop in a ME owned business , I get great service .

Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
The more diversity, the better. It helps to break down the stereotypes, which our country suffers from (witness the Mosque-at-Ground-Zero controversy).

By the way 20/20 had a great special on Islam last night. Not sure if it's available online, but it dispelled a lot of misunderstandings that people have of Muslims.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:38 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,524 times
I get my fruits and stuff from a middle-eastern fruit market. They're fresher than the big box stores.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,480 times
I'm glad I found some people that actually appreciate ethnic diversity as much as me!

I love the ethnic diversity, no matter what ethnicity, in Detroit proper and a few suburbs. In the area I'm moving to, I'll have easy access to the diverse foods and cultures of Eastern Market, and the suburbs of Hamtramck (Although that's not really a 'burb, but whatever) and Dearborn. As the poster above me mentioned, there's always fresh food, and alot of the things in the bakeries in the markets are ACTUALLY handmade right there.

So, to answer your question, I LOVE the Middle Eastern presence!

Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,587 times
The cultural difference and food choice is nice but they definitely don't up keep homes as nice as the polish folk did in Hamtramck.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
The cultural difference and food choice is nice but they definitely don't up keep homes as nice as the polish folk did in Hamtramck.
I've noticed that too - but those little houses were built to last, as long as someone's living in them. In Hamtramck, it seems the majority of Arab residents live in pockets. They're not very well integrated with the remaining Poles. That's just what I've observed, though.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
In Dearborn they certainly do though. Dearborn has a real nice neighborhood feel and quite safe as well.

Some other factors seem to be coming into play in Hamtramck...in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Some other factors seem to be coming into play in Hamtramck...in my opinion.
I think the fact that it's bordered by some pretty nasty areas of Detroit have something to do with it. Spillover, basically.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I think the fact that it's bordered by some pretty nasty areas of Detroit have something to do with it. Spillover, basically.
I also just looked at the Hamtramck zip code: 48212:
//www.city-data.com/zips/48212.html

Here is the foreign-born demographic information:

Bangladesh (26%)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (18%)
Poland (16%)
Other Western Asia (11%)
Ukraine (4%)
Other Eastern Europe (4%)
Yugoslavia (3%)

Not very Middle Eastern at all....except maybe within that 11% 'Other Western Asia' stat...although quite ambiguous what that even is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit