Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

I'm getting so tired of the people on C-D

If I see one more post talking about the majority of Detroiters being "thugs" I'm going to scream! How would you know for a fact that the majority of the residents are a certain way? what makes someone a "thug"? what, the way they dress? smh Whats even funnier is the vast majority of you don't know a Detroiter, don't talk to Detroiters, don't hang out with Detroiters or even come to the city to know what WE are like smh. Back away from your computers and actually interact with the people you stereotype. And while you're at, get to REALLY know your suburban neighbors because many of them aren't much better than the so called "thugs" you talk about on C-D.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Detroit is a great city. I so enjoyed my early morning walks along Fenkell. My wife and I have fond memories of walking to the corner ice-cream place in the early evenings there at Fenkell and Greenfield.
Sitting on our front porch listening to the night sounds of the city popping and crackling. Every night was like celebrating the freedom of July 4th. Watching our neighbors jogging by and heading to see the latest house to hit the market. They even helped the new people move their flat screen TVs and other expensive items like computers and fine china. The folks were so gracious and always willing to lend a hand to help their community.
I remember the time a few of those commercial buildings on Fenkell had problems with the electrical wiring. Several of the guys went right over and helped remove all the nasty copper wiring for the owner, and they weren't even asked! They just took it upon themselves to lend a hand.
And when there were too many cars parked on the street and it was difficult for several seniors to get by, another group of young people jumped into action and quickly removed the cars that were obstructing traffic.
It was a neigborhood where the young folks were involved with the community and always looking for opportunities to make a difference.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 11-09-2010 at 02:58 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Detroit is a great city. I so enjoyed my early morning walks along Fenkell. My wife and I have fond memories of walking to the corner ice-cream place in the early evenings there at Fenkell and Greenfield.
Sitting on our front porch listening to the night sounds of the city popping and crackling. Every night was like celebrating the freedom of July 4th. Watching our neighbors jogging by and heading to see the latest house to hit the market. They even helped the new people move their flat screen TVs and other expensive items like computers and fine china. The folks were so gracious and always willing to lend a hand to help their community.
I remember the time a few of those commercial buildings on Fenkell had problems with the electrical wiring. Several of the guys went right over and helped remove all the nasty copper wiring for the owner, and they weren't even asked! They just took it upon themselves to lend a hand.
And when there were too many cars parked on the street and it was difficult for several seniors to get by, another group of young people jumped into action and quickly removed the cars that were obstructing traffic.
It was a neigborhood where the young folks were involved with the community and always looking for opportunities to make a difference.
Aww...you're feeling homesick again, aren't you? Well, try not to feel too sad. After all, you can't be that far from Charlotte or Raleigh, so just drive on over there, bring a lawn chair and some cold drinks, and you can watch the same thing. Or...weren't you aware that there is crime in southern cities too?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 AM

937 posts, read 2,833,688 times
Get over it, Detroit is a TOILET.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I'm getting so tired of the people on C-D

If I see one more post talking about the majority of Detroiters being "thugs" I'm going to scream! How would you know for a fact that the majority of the residents are a certain way? what makes someone a "thug"? what, the way they dress? smh Whats even funnier is the vast majority of you don't know a Detroiter, don't talk to Detroiters, don't hang out with Detroiters or even come to the city to know what WE are like smh. Back away from your computers and actually interact with the people you stereotype. And while you're at, get to REALLY know your suburban neighbors because many of them aren't much better than the so called "thugs" you talk about on C-D.
If you are going to be one of the people who'd like to bring Detroit back from the brink of extinction, you'd better get a thicker skin. You have to be honest with yourself and realize you're dealing with a city that is probably the worst on the planet, for crime, for outmigration, for disrepair, for disfunctionality, for everything. I've even heard people compare it to former Soviet bloc countries that emptied out after the fall of the Soviet Union (in other words, there's nothing in the U.S. to compare it to). When I drive down the Lodge and literally lose count of the number of burned out and boarded up homes, no one can possibly make any serious claim that Detroit is only a victim of "perception." IT'S RIGHT THERE BEFORE YOUR EYES. Unless you want to tell me that the "burned out" look is the next big thing, and each one of those contains a middle class family who enjoys not having any windows or insulation in their home.

Start from there, quit whining like a little girl, and start making some changes. (and stop sending me messages to ban people from the site who haven't done anything wrong but say bad things about Detroit).

Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
If you are going to be one of the people who'd like to bring Detroit back from the brink of extinction, you'd better get a thicker skin. You have to be honest with yourself and realize you're dealing with a city that is probably the worst on the planet, for crime, for outmigration, for disrepair, for disfunctionality, for everything. I've even heard people compare it to former Soviet bloc countries that emptied out after the fall of the Soviet Union (in other words, there's nothing in the U.S. to compare it to). When I drive down the Lodge and literally lose count of the number of burned out and boarded up homes, no one can possibly make any serious claim that Detroit is only a victim of "perception." IT'S RIGHT THERE BEFORE YOUR EYES. Unless you want to tell me that the "burned out" look is the next big thing, and each one of those contains a middle class family who enjoys not having any windows or insulation in their home.

Start from there, quit whining like a little girl, and start making some changes. (and stop sending me messages to ban people from the site who haven't done anything wrong but say bad things about Detroit).
Actually there are plenty of cities that have had outward migration. Chicago and Philadelphia have both lost over 500,000 people. A lot of cities have lost at least a third of their population. Starting in the east and going west you have Boston, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St Louis, Minneapolis, and New Orleans. Notice how all of them are on or east of the Mississippi. Its just been a fundamental shift in population from the urban core to the suburbs. It has happened everywhere. In fact, Cleveland and St Louis have both lost an equally high percentage of people with St Louis losing an even higher percentage. You only have to drive to St Louis to find a city in the same shape as Detroit. The worst part is people who think this is only a Detroit thing. Detroit is the largest city to experience this, not the only one.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Aww...you're feeling homesick again, aren't you? Well, try not to feel too sad. After all, you can't be that far from Charlotte or Raleigh, so just drive on over there, bring a lawn chair and some cold drinks, and you can watch the same thing. Or...weren't you aware that there is crime in southern cities too?
Well, I live in Charlotte now and it is NOTHING like Detroit. There are a few bad neighborhoods, but not 80% of the city. There is a reason white people are still moving here - it is a great place to live.

And when there is a murder it gets reported on the news for many days - not like Detroit when there is a new one (or 3) almost every day.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
There is a reason white people are still moving here - it is a great place to live.
I've been jipped!!! I'm white but didn't get my good-compass that directs me to great places to live!

This is certainly the fault of "black" people!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Never once did I mention CRIME....paranoia will destroy..I simply thought to recall a moment of joy...Charlotte is just 3 hours, Raleigh is 45 minutes--but I am only 20 minutes from Fayette Nam...

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Actually there are plenty of cities that have had outward migration.....
....even Gay-lurd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit