Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 PM

45 posts, read 144,164 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am following the Detroit threads with some interest.

My hubby and I are Australians who will be moving to North America next year and are interested in buying some property/ies in the Detroit area (partly as investments, partly to help stabilise/revitalise neighbourhoods).
We would like to buy homes which we can tenant out to the regular public ans possibly Section 8 families.

We get a lot of info here in Australia about how bad things are, especially in cities like Detroit which have been hit very hard by the GFC. Articles here tell us that Detroit is like a ghost town and that a massive amount of the population has moved away (not good when we're looking for tenants!).

I am interested in hearing from you guys who actually live there.
Are people moving back to Detroit? Is there job creation of some kind? Is there a shortage of quality rental units etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I won't address this to you in particular, but just in general to all the people who have never been to Detroit before and are considering buying property here for investment, rental income, or charity.

First of all, not everyone in the metro Detroit area is poor. Many of us have money and could easily buy property in Detroit for the reasons mentioned above. However, there is a very logical reason why we haven't, and it's not because we are naively missing out on a great opportunity. It is because we know why Detroit is a "ghost town" because we live here and understand the dynamics involved. Unless and until you become thoroughly familiar with Detroit, I would strongly recommend you proceed with great caution. Notice, I am not saying you should never invest in Detroit, I'm just trying to warn you as someone familiar with Detroit that it is probably not as easy as you are thinking it could be.

Just for illustration, I had an uncle that owned several properties in Detroit. He told many horror stories about difficulty in collecting rent (he had three guns for this purpose alone) and tenants trashing or burning down his properties (actually, he didn't mind the arson so much because at least he was able to collect insurance on it, although I'm sure he would have preferred stable income). Over time, his properties dwindled to just one, and he was so grateful to the dependable elderly black woman that lived there, he simply gave the house to her and got out of the landlord business altogether.

And now, I'll turn it over to ForStarters who will tell you about all the great investment opportunities in Detroit.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
I'd visit Detroit before investing in rental units here. Some people love it the city and are trying to rebuild it. Some people are just not nice people and are the reason why Detroit ends up on "the most dangerous places" lists. It really varies by street and district what type of housing and people you'll find. Retroit has a lot of good points.

More power to you if you can make investing in Detroit work for you; however, as Retroit said "Many of us have money and could easily buy property in Detroit for the reasons mentioned above. However, there is a very logical reason why we haven't, and it's not because we are naively missing out on a great opportunity. It is because we know why Detroit is a "ghost town" because we live here and understand the dynamics involved."

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks Retroit for your insight.

For those of us from overseas, Detroit is such a wild card. There are those who encourage development/investment and others who tell you to avoid the city like the plague!

I heed your call about proceeding with caution - when we get over there next year, we will spend some time getting to know the city and if we purchase anything, we will employ property managers who carry a big stick!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
You might also consider looking in the suburbs of Detroit too, there are a lot of good deals there.
Since a lot of people foreclosed on their homes, they aren't able to buy their own home and will have to rent.
Plus the clientele you would be working with might be a bit more 'responsible', for lack of a better term.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I live here and work downtown. If I had some money to spend, I would buy in Corktown or in Boston Edison (or maybe Indian Villiage, but no real bargains there).

However:
1. I am right here to manage and watch over the property.

2. I can fix things myself.

3. I can sue people for free if necessary.

4. I would like to have a couple of houses downtown to make available to my kids after they graduate from college and I think it wodl be neat to live downtown as long as things stay the same or get better. I think that things will get better and a house in a place like corktown will be very valuable. If they get worse, I would lose my investment.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:13 AM

Thanks guys for your feedback. I'm still quite keen to explore my purchasing options, so it is good to hear both sides of the coin (so to speak).

Your property taxes are a real downer though!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM

93 posts, read 228,345 times
Check this one out: Consider the Downriver area. Wyandotte is probably the hub of the region: www.williamschiropractic.blogspot.com
This link has nothing to do with chiropractic. It is a promotion of the City of Wyandotte and of a property that's available there.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Thanks thealohaman for the info. I have had a look and it seems promising.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
If you are looking for just purchasing a rental, try Harper Woods. I've actually made good money on my house. Bought it in 2008 for $28,500 and just sold it to an investor for $50,000 cash. This is a good area to rent because a lot of section 8 people from Detroit are moving into Harper Woods because a small section of Harper Woods is in Grosse Pointe school district. Homes are cheap and there is a market to rent them. I really had no interest to rent so I just decided to sell since I could at nearly a 40% return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit