Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM

385 posts, read 721,984 times

Advertisements

ah okay thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Eastpointe: That's the correct spelling, but there are no canals in Eastpointe. You might be referring to St. Clair Shores, where there are a few canals which you can indeed drive your boat down. There are very few burnt out homes in either city and both cities are pretty prompt with tearing them down. The cities are much safer than Detroit. They both have very good police departments. Of course, there is crime just about everywhere, even in the nicest suburbs. A lot of African-Americans have moved into both cities in recent years. There have been very few racist incidents. Last one I heard about is someone mailing racist letters to homes on one street (Sprenger) in Eastpointe. These shameful incidents happen occasionally throughout the area. Fortunately, they never result in violence. There are no large companies buying up homes to remake the area. It isn't necessary.

Housing Associations can be very strict. If you like to decorate or personalize the outside of your home & property, avoid these areas. If you like to live in "cookie cutter" neighborhoods where every house and property looks the same, they are great.

Boston-Edison: Obviously, you should deal with a reputable real estate agent and not some internet site that tells you top send them money. A private security company is hired by the Boston-Edison Housing Association (historicbostonedison.org) to supplement the Detroit police, who are quite overwhelmed in the city. You'll have to expect a greater level of crime here, but I wouldn't worry too much about arson. Most arson fires are done out of revenge or on dilapidated houses, not ones that are occupied.

Asians are fairly well dispersed throughout the suburbs, as are Korean Restaurants. (urbanspoon.com)
I was going to say the same thing about Eastpointe. I was thinking "canals in Eastpointe" but wasn't sure if the OP meant St. Clair Shores or not. I'd have to disagree about the number of blacks moving in though. Eastpointe has many more than what used to be but St. Clair Shores black population doesn't seem to have increase that much. Both cities are still majority white. I'd say there are more blacks in Harperwoods than in Eastpointe

Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I was going to say the same thing about Eastpointe. I was thinking "canals in Eastpointe" but wasn't sure if the OP meant St. Clair Shores or not. I'd have to disagree about the number of blacks moving in though. Eastpointe has many more than what used to be but St. Clair Shores black population doesn't seem to have increase that much. Both cities are still majority white. I'd say there are more blacks in Harperwoods than in Eastpointe
True.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 200,207 times
Come to Grosse Pointe Park! The schools are great and you can get a cute house here in your price range.

The folks I've met in the Park are very down to earth. Now, I've met some people that tell me to buy a house in the Farms or out in the westside 'burbs (we are renting for the year) because we won't be "so close to the Detroit". Whatever! Grosse Pointe feels like an urban community in some ways -- like NW Washington DC, or Roland Park in Baltimore -- because people here do go to downtown often.

Look at the City of Grosse Pointe Park's website www.grossepointepark.org and see what you get. Great schools, two amazing parks (did I mention Windmill Pointe Park has it's own movie theater?), and a safe community. It's Pleasantville, in all the good ways.

We recently moved here from Connecticut (outside NYC), and have friends that recently moved from Long Island. We are constantly amazed as to how nice people are, and what is offered in this very family oriented community. My kids are 3 & 5 and love it. Did I mention you can check out power tools from the library? Seriously! War & Peace and a wet saw, all at once.

Just beware - grocery shopping stinks! Very limited retail here, but as one of my friends says (very tongue in cheek), "that's the price you pay for living in paradise!" I like to go to Eastern Market when it isn't so cold. Still exploring the area, but there are other options.

Best of luck in your search. If your family lives in the city (Mexicantown), then I'd try and stay close to them. I'm also a member of the Grosse Pointe Moms Club and our most recent past president is Mexican. And she was on the Grosse Pointe Woods City Council There are certainly people everywhere with some racist attitudes, but I like to think there are more open minded people. Try the Park or Grosse Pointe Woods! The Woods park has a super cool water slide...

Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Thanks a lot Widow! Yeah Ive seen the parks I have a question though. Does living in grosse pointe park give you access to all the parks in the pointes (park, farms and pointe) or just your area?? I heard you have to be a resident to get in, is this true?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM

89 posts, read 258,823 times
I would be impressed if you could find a nice home in Grosse Pointe for $120k. I haven't done any research on foreclosures there, but generally the home prices and cost of living is significantly higher than any of the other cities you mentioned.

A lot of people make a big deal about race problems in this city. I don't think you'll find anything different than you see in LA. Detroit, and the greater metro area, are significantly more safe than media (and many suburbanites) like to hype.

What type of lifestyle do you want? Do you want to be in the heart of a city (where the Boston-Edison district is), or more of a suburban lifestyle? What things are important to you? Walkability? Shopping? Quiet neighborhood? Bustling city life? It sounds as if you want to be within 20 minutes of downtown Detroit - is that accurate? Is being at/near the water is important. Do you have a boat?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Well the thing is I'm still building up my business and will prolly have double the amount by the end of the year but I'm sooo worried prices will go up before then and I'll lose a chance at a home there. I'm planning on opening a grocery store in Mexican-Town in a few months, just getting the permits right now.
I love walking with my family at day or night to grab something to eat around where I live I dont really like downtowns, too many people, professional and crazy people are both types I dont really like. Thats why I thought grosse pointe might be nice and Ive been checking Realtor.com and century21.com for the past half a year to check if prices are going up and the amount of homes for sale in the area.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
If you do not like professional people, you may not like Grosse Pointe. More doctors, lawyers and business owners there than anything else.

Not likely that home prices will go up much if at all in the next three to five years. IN the next year thee is as much liklihood of further price drops as there is of any increase.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
I would be impressed if you could find a nice home in Grosse Pointe for $120k. I haven't done any research on foreclosures there, but generally the home prices and cost of living is significantly higher than any of the other cities you mentioned.

A lot of people make a big deal about race problems in this city. I don't think you'll find anything different than you see in LA. Detroit, and the greater metro area, are significantly more safe than media (and many suburbanites) like to hype.

What type of lifestyle do you want? Do you want to be in the heart of a city (where the Boston-Edison district is), or more of a suburban lifestyle? What things are important to you? Walkability? Shopping? Quiet neighborhood? Bustling city life? It sounds as if you want to be within 20 minutes of downtown Detroit - is that accurate? Is being at/near the water is important. Do you have a boat?
well my brother was looking at a house in Gross Pointe city I believe that was $190,000 originally over $400,000. That's why I say now would be a good time to buy in GP

Old 01-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
Well the thing is I'm still building up my business and will prolly have double the amount by the end of the year but I'm sooo worried prices will go up before then and I'll lose a chance at a home there. I'm planning on opening a grocery store in Mexican-Town in a few months, just getting the permits right now.
I love walking with my family at day or night to grab something to eat around where I live I dont really like downtowns, too many people, professional and crazy people are both types I dont really like. Thats why I thought grosse pointe might be nice and Ive been checking Realtor.com and century21.com for the past half a year to check if prices are going up and the amount of homes for sale in the area.
Have you looked into the Mexicantown area? I mean I've seen some nice areas in Southwest, especially over by Mexican Village. The homes may be smaller than GP but the community is nice, offers a lot of diversity, restaraunts, and little shops. Actually Southwest Detroit is the only area where you have Arabs, Whites, Blacks, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and other Caribbean ethnicities, Asians etc all living on the same side of town. You'll also be close to your family and business. I'm just saying maybe you want to think about that. Then later if you end up staying for good look at other options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit