Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
If you clicked the title to the article, you would see that it takes you to the actual story.

Anyways.. I watched this video..
detnews.com | Audio Slide Show | Aftershocks rock Dobel Street

And this is how I see it: a hardworking, black family moved onto a block.. Shortly afterwards, many houses go up for sale for cheap.. and then poorer, ill-mannered people with a lower quality of life destroy the neighborhood. And the hardworking black family that first moved there can do nothing but watch in despair as the once vibrant, bustling neighborhood goes into a steep decline.

Blacks got themselves into this mess? What was the reason for leaving Detroit? Because a black person moved on your block? LOL. What are they gonna do, come into your house, rob you and kill you? How do you know ALL people in Detroit aren't trying to help themselves? Some people may just be poor, and trying to get out to make better lives for their children.. unfortunately people like you won't allow it to happen.

What even makes you think people want to live in an area with a high crime rate?
Some people may like that environment, but it's not true for most people.. Which is why you see Detroit's population steadily declining, except for downtown, mexicantown, etc.

You say you have "no sympathy for anyone that will not get up and help themselves," yet, when you say black people move into the suburbs, they've delined. :rollseyes:
Give me a break. I could write a story about it, I lived it. My relatives lived by Tiger Stadium during that time. The only white family on the block. Cadillacs lined the block but the houses were in disrepair and the children were in rags but they had their Caddies. They went nuts I am NOT a prejudice person at all but the blacks did it to themselves. I saw many houses with bullit holes in them for what, entertainment? Burned stores etc. Why? Why bring it up.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Give me a break. I could write a story about it, I lived it. My relatives lived by Tiger Stadium during that time. The only white family on the block. Cadillacs lined the block but the houses were in disrepair and the children were in rags but they had their Caddies. They went nuts I am NOT a prejudice person at all but the blacks did it to themselves. I saw many houses with bullit holes in them for what, entertainment? Burned stores etc. Why? Why bring it up.

I'm not surprised that you don't want to believe anything CHICAGOLAND said. What I get out of your statement is that you think all black families do that. I'm talking about the bacl families that don't do that and people still hate on them for what other blacks have done. Basically, many persons do associate blacks with what you have seen. Yes, you saw that on your block. At the same time, that is only one side of the story. Yes, there are black families that do not keep their lawns in nice condition and let their children run wild, but what about the black families who work hard and don't let their lawns become trash and keep their kids in line. Because of the "bad" traits blacks are associated with, many persons don't want to live near blacks, whether they have those "bad" traits or not. Example: A black man walks into a store and is caught shoplifting. The next black customer that walks in gets stared at from behind the counter as if he would als steal, assuming that he or she would steal. My solution:watch everyone, or watch no one because anyone could steal. The fact is, we as human beings judge and we don't always judge fairly.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'm not surprised that you don't want to believe anything CHICAGOLAND said. What I get out of your statement is that you think all black families do that. I'm talking about the bacl families that don't do that and people still hate on them for what other blacks have done. Basically, many persons do associate blacks with what you have seen. Yes, you saw that on your block. At the same time, that is only one side of the story. Yes, there are black families that do not keep their lawns in nice condition and let their children run wild, but what about the black families who work hard and don't let their lawns become trash and keep their kids in line. Because of the "bad" traits blacks are associated with, many persons don't want to live near blacks, whether they have those "bad" traits or not. Example: A black man walks into a store and is caught shoplifting. The next black customer that walks in gets stared at from behind the counter as if he would als steal, assuming that he or she would steal. My solution:watch everyone, or watch no one because anyone could steal. The fact is, we as human beings judge and we don't always judge fairly.
No, you misunderstand. This was about a "40 year aneversery of the riots." I was responding to a thread not mine. I didn't bring it up. BTW, my gf is black.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 PM

554 posts, read 2,502,107 times
Quote:

Thank you for the wonderful post, I could not agree more.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM

CHICAGOLAND, you put it squarely when you mentioned your posts about the "white flight" to the suburbs. Alot of people would say that the reason for the "white flight" had to do with wanting more space for lawns and to own a home. Well, why were restrictive covenants prohibiting blacks from moving into certain areas enacted? The reason is simple. Many whites simply did not like blacks and did not want to be around them. Many blacks did want to be around whites either, but I think the wealth factor may have contributed to the "white flight".

Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM

106 posts, read 414,563 times
Quote:
CHICAGOLAND, you put it squarely when you mentioned your posts about the "white flight" to the suburbs. Alot of people would say that the reason for the "white flight" had to do with wanting more space for lawns and to own a home. Well, why were restrictive covenants prohibiting blacks from moving into certain areas enacted? The reason is simple. Many whites simply did not like blacks and did not want to be around them. Many blacks did want to be around whites either, but I think the wealth factor may have contributed to the "white flight".
That's way too simplistic. White flight is much more rational than you suggest. Blacks commit much more crime per capita than whites. That, combined with a less serious attitude about education, explains why whites move away from blacks. Notice that whites don't run away when Asians move into their neighborhoods. Why? Because Asians commit even less crime than whites and put even more value on education than whites do.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
That's way too simplistic. White flight is much more rational than you suggest. Blacks commit much more crime per capita than whites. That, combined with a less serious attitude about education, explains why whites move away from blacks. Notice that whites don't run away when Asians move into their neighborhoods. Why? Because Asians commit even less crime than whites and put even more value on education than whites do.
There is some error iin what you said. Whenever Asians have moved into some communities, there have been many whites(not all though) who would enroll their children in schools with less Asians or leave a certain place(this is happening in California). The excuse was : "this school is too competitive." As far as crime goes,yes, a high proportion of blacks do committ crimes, but that would add up to less blacks because blacks make up 12 percent of the USA's population. What I was trying to talk about were the hard-working blacks who don't cause problems. You seem to only refer to the ones who cause trouble. Yes, there are alot of blacks in gangs, and they do cause trouble, but what about the ones who aren't in gangs and don't cause trouble? When alot of people were moving to the suburbs, many places set up restrictive covenants banning blacks from buying in certain areas, no matter what the income was or if their children were well-behaved. That happened. I am talking about the 1950's and 1960's, not today. I know there is a problem in the African-American community with lack of emphasis on education.I should know. I am African-American and I have been around other African-Americans who were like that. With that said, I am in college and I also know there are alot of African-Americans would put emphasis on education. Why should everyone of one particular ethnic group suffer for the actions of some bad apples? Just as I know that there are many whites would rather not have anything to do with me just by looking at me. That doesn't mean everyone is like that. Why? Because I know better.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I assume everyone has heard of Putnam's study about diversity. Basically, people don't like diversity, as much as they may say otherwise.

Diversity is bad
Many, but not all. I don't minddiversity. I used to live in an area that was mainly homogenous and I had a hard time adjusting to it. It was easier to adjust to a more heterogeneous place.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
um black does not equal criminal...

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,812 times
Quote:
This thread to me is HIGHLY DISTURBING.

Sometimes (and this is one of the cases) I think I am the only mediator in the world who sees everyone just as they are... Humans.
Racism is illogical, I love Diversity. Being surrounded by people just like me IS BORING AND LAME! Seriously? Do you wanna live a life where your just another number and not an individual? Where everyone has the same story and same values? Why even live? Your life is seriously worthless and you give the world nothing back when you leave here as if you never existed.

Now moving on to Jumpygh's post...

I find it pretty ironic that you say this.

Considering...
This statistically (Based by incarceration rates) the most violent groups in America, from most to least (Keep in mind I left alot of groups out, just humor me)

1. Puerto Ricans
2. Blacks
3. Whites
4. Asians

Now.... Here they are in POVERTY RATE... This is the percentage of people of those races who live below poverty line.

1. Puerto Ricans
2. Blacks
3. Whites
4. Asians

Asians commit the least amount of crime in the US percentage wise. They also have the lowest poverty rate. Somewhere around only 10% of there people are at or below poverty line.

Whites are a little more dangerous. There poverty percentage is around 12%.

Than you have the blacks, a Black child is 3-5 times more likely to be born into a poverty stricken household than a White or Asian.

Than finally Puerto Ricans, there poverty percentage is abyssmal. Horrible, I think around 45% of there people in the US suffer living below the poverty line. In the South Bronx for example alot of the children have asthma and diabetes at a young age too, from being exposed to Rats, Roaches, horrible buildings they live in along with pollution.

See... There is a correlation. The poorer you are the more likely you are to be violent. This is why Blacks are more violent than Whites. I know this because I now live comfortably and my family makes about 20K a year.
Back when I lived in the projects we lived on checks that the government gave us every month for my Father being dead, and I also sold drugs to support my family. I robbed many people, carried many guns, sold many drugs and its a miracle I never killed someone or got killed myself.
I would NEVER dream of doing that now. However, back when I was missing meals, only eating once every couple days and was staying in a ghetto with no lights. Crime was my method for surviving till better days. Many Blacks suffer from Generational poverty which is a disease in itself. Many have been poor sense slavery and it DEEPLY physcoloigically effects you.
I also know this cause I am 6th generation poverty stricken and a bastard. It took alot of therapy and help from professionals before I was able to grasp the concept that I wasn't less of a human than others for not having a Dad and that I didn't need to hurt people to be succesfull in life.

DO NOT make something as serious as the deplorable conditions the Blacks in Detroit live in seem as something entirely there fault.
Why dont you go live there on a welfare check with 10 people in a house with no food for a year and than come back and tell me you didn't sell some drugs, but you won't.

This is the reality most Black Children in Detroit are born and raised into. It is systematical, it is a vicious cycle, this is why they are violent, and it is sad. First all the Whites move out lowering the value of the neighborhood.
Than poor blacks move into the community looking for a better life. Because of discrimination, the good life never comes so crime increases. Than the neighborhood becomes so cheap it is a perfect nesting spot for ex cons, drug dealers and prostitutes. Before you know it a perfectly nice Mixed community has been completely destroyed and is now crime ridden an horrible. Due mostly to White Flight.
If all those Racist Whites wouldn't have ran as soon as the minority of upper class professional Blacks moved in the neighborhood wouldn't have become a slum and breeding ground for poverty, disease and crime. White Flight also effected education, cause the resources left with them because they have the power thru more capital and EVERYONE knows that the Public Education system is biased towards those with money and really doesn't care for the poor children.
Now you have generations of ignorance from poor schooling on top of all these other problems.

If you wanna point the finger at someone for how bad your old neighborhood is now, look at your parents and grandparents. Don't look at the poor struggling people who are forced to live there right now.

This is all coming from a White Man.

Last edited by StPete2Charlotte; 09-21-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit