Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing about Detroit for quite awhile now from friends and friends of friends.
I am originally from Baltimore, I lived in one of the worst neighborhoods in Bmore for 7 years, yet, despite the danger, it was hands down the most wonderful neighborhood I have lived community-wise. I left for a better safer life in Portland Oregon for my daughter seven years ago and have been feeling as if something has been missing ever since.

I long for motivated artists, for diversity of opinions, of race, of class, in a town lulled to sleep by its "quality of life"..code word for utter lack of diversity, safety, homogeneity and droves of apathetic youthful transplants with a little creativity and large trust funds. Not to bash beautiful Oregon, I am grateful for the jaw dropping quality of life we do have here, but it certainly isn't a place you stay if you actually want to get **** done and impact the society in which we live.

Oh and I would love to buy a home which will never happen in Oregon. Not never.

Sooo...I am coming to visit Detroit in Sept. Wondering if any advice could be given about areas that I should look into. I would like to live in an area with a strong sense of community and artists...specifically artists in their 30's or older, not interested in where the hip 20 yr olds are. I want to spend as little as possible on a house, I am willing to put in the work.
Any areas where the houses have large yards/double lots?
Any areas with parks/green space?
Where can you buy homes for $50,000 and under? How about $10,000 and under?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesupsidedown View Post
----I long for motivated artists, for diversity of opinions, of race, of class, in a town lulled to sleep by its "quality of life"..code word for utter lack of diversity, safety, homogeneity and droves of apathetic youthful transplants with a little creativity and large trust funds. Not to bash beautiful Oregon, I am grateful for the jaw dropping quality of life we do have here, but it certainly isn't a place you stay if you actually want to get **** done and impact the society in which we live.
Where can you buy homes for $50,000 and under? How about $10,000 and under?
Thanks!
Have you connected with the Detroit arts community at all? Since many are pioneering, they should have good info.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 AM

72 posts, read 150,537 times
Check out the Corktown area, Eastern Market area and Hamtramck. You may also want to check Detroit Metro Times

I'm partial to Hamtramck. You may not get hosed so bad on a house in that area. Second pick probably Corktown for the same reason. Look around Most Holy Trinity Church. They have a school there too. What does your child want to do?

As far as "green space"....Well....You can hunt pheasant in many areas of the city.....That's how "green" some areas have returned to.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
It interests me that you think of Detroit as this place of social reinvention. You are certainly not the only one on that wavelength.

The neighborhoods I suggest you look at would be Hamtramck, Corktown/North Corktown, Woodbridge, Mexicantown and Southwest Detroit, Eastern Market, and potentially Midtown. I am not an artist, but those neighborhoods are where you may find the type of community you are seeking. There is no one particular neighborhood that jumps out. However, Detroit's cultural district is concentrated primarily in Midtown.

You can find rentals in all of the above areas, and I suggest you experience a neighborhood before buying. Detroit neighborhoods really all have distinct personalities as do their residents. You will not find the same kind of people in the Villages as you find in Corktown. Likewise, Downtown lofties are not going to be the same as Southwest Detroiters, and so on and so forth.

If you are looking to buy a house, I'd highly recommend Hamtramck and Mexicantown. There are definitely decent homes for between $10-50k. Some may even be flats, so you can live downstairs and rent the unit above as an income property. Do some research on Trulia.

As to your goal of finding a place to live that is satisfying to the soul, I believe the depth and character of Detroit people to be one of the city's finest intangible assets. You truly cannot live here without becoming more thoughtful, resourceful and inventive. Decades of restlessness and malcontent have forged unique virtues and perspectives. It can feel humbling, disappointing, and hopeful all at the same time. If you are looking for place to sweat from the brow, break molds, wrestle with social issues, and become part of a developing community, then I promise you Detroit will deliver on that.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
We just visited Detroit after an absence of thirty plus years--it's a very interesting town. Really like the area around Wayne State and near the Motown Museum (go for the great tour & memories)--still some architectural gems to be found--and some good eats, too. We found there are many Detroits...it's a multi-faceted and complex city...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM

35 posts, read 101,184 times
Consider the neighborhood east of Joseph Campau and north of Carpenter to the Davison in the 48212 zip code. I lived on McPherson for quite a while and I had some very precious neighbors and the area is super close to Hamtramck for shopping and some decent charter schools are within walking distance. Check out the PowerHouse projects that are going on at Moran St. which is in my neighborhood. They might be just the type of people you would enjoy getting to know and the houses are certainly cheap

move to Detroit : phproject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit