Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
Jb,

For good or for bad, please keep us posted.... I'm root'in for ya.
Literally as my ride arrived to pick me up to drive up there I get

"Hey bro, my boy left to pakistan this morning for a family emergency (which jives with everything we spoke about so far) and im trying to find his title. if you dont want to buy the car ill 100% understand"

I told him I'm going to pass. I guess his boy signed it to sell, before he left, but with out me being there to see him sign it, it's a out of state title, I told him I'm going to pass. Which sucks, because although there felt like some red flags, I think this was a genuine deal. Oh well, back to looking I guess. Again thanks for the information and help on how to keep this transaction safe as possible

Edited in - Well I'm back on craigslist, he relisted the car 3 minutes before texting me, it has +20k miles on it (then previous add), and the engine bay shot looks different as the CAI is off, but looks like the stock box is not replaced ? Maybe I did dodge a bullet. Least he was more then willing to cut off the deal - maybe I was making him uncomfortable with all my questions and demands and his feet got cold. Who knows, starting to believe I was better off passing.

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-11-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
It sounds like the car was hot.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
It sounds like the car was hot.
Slowly coming to the same conclusion.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Congratulations, it sounds like you dodged a serious bullet. You were too thorough for him and he ran. It's scary to think about all the people out there who DON'T ask questions first. Yikes. Glad you're safe and your money is still in your pocket. No car is worth taking a chance like that.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,775 times
You should tell the cops, for what it's worth. Saying 'family emergency' screams of some kind of deceit.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
You should tell the cops, for what it's worth. Saying 'family emergency' screams of some kind of deceit.
Yes and no. Been an interesting day to say the least.

Shortly after making my post above, I get a phone call - FROM the number on the 'new' listing. Well, it was a friend of the other seller, saying they where both selling their cars. Their friend Mohamed (spelling?) went to Pakistan for the family emergency, but he was selling his because he just bought a new car; He also expressed and understood why I passed on the other, he also introduced himself from the first phone call. Same color, year, slightly different condition, and pics taken in the same lot as other - which is why I miss took it as the original post, reposted.

Well, long story short, it's in my drive way

So essentially mission accomplished, and TBH, I doubt now that car#1 was a scam in any way but oh well. I got it, few more miles, not as mint, but it was cheaper and felt safer
Attached Thumbnails
Need quick advice on this area (traveling to buy a car)-side.jpg   Need quick advice on this area (traveling to buy a car)-motor.jpg   Need quick advice on this area (traveling to buy a car)-cluster.jpg  

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Pics Added :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit