Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,558 times

Advertisements

The D should be made into the first "Cashless City" of the U.S.

The beggars at the Shell station on the corner of Mack and I-75 will be hit. They can move out to Fraser.

No cash or change because it isn't used means no more beggars. The drug and crime trades will dry up right away.

Handling the illiterates through the prison system is very expensive. These people have to be put somewhere else. Continue cutting welfare and at the end of their coupons, offer free turkey in Hart Plaza, superglue a raft to their back and push them in the river. Canada or bust. That new dock sits idle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM

12 posts, read 36,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post

The beggars at the Shell station on the corner of Mack and I-75 will be hit. They can move out to Fraser.

No cash or change because it isn't used means no more beggars. The drug and crime trades will dry up right away.

Handling the illiterates through the prison system is very expensive. These people have to be put somewhere else. Continue cutting welfare and at the end of their coupons, offer free turkey in Hart Plaza, superglue a raft to their back and push them in the river. Canada or bust. That new dock sits idle....
I hope this post isn't sarcasm. My point was that generational abuse of civil services such as welfare and food stamps needs to end. 10 million black people throughout the United States out of the total numbering in the neighborhood of 35 million are on some sort of gov't assistance.

Many like to point out the fact that "There are more white people using welfare!" True. Volume wise, but there are 230 million whites in the US. If you break down the population in proportion with the number of users you will see a higher ratio in the black community. Now the preplexity of this problem has many different factors etc. that I won't get into. But like I said, other Detroiters shouldn't be supporting your family. You need to get your life together (6 years welfare max, SINK OR SWIM). It's a sad day when women in Detroit are having more kids intentionally so they can get more money through welfare. Something needs to be done, and the Detroit City Council is a bunch of crooked-worthless-trash politicians.

Even if I was 15 years old and thrown on the streets by my parents, I think with all the assistance programs that are out there. I could be in a good position 6 years from then.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,558 times
" (6 years welfare max, SINK OR SWIM)"

How should they be warehoused after the 6 year buffer?

And why 6 years - three years should be fine for them to straighten out their act on a two-year degree from a community college or public university.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 36,366 times
I just said it'd be 6 years max. It'd be case contingent how many years each family would be allowed. Going by children and other guidelines. Each family would have their caseworker as usual, and when time is up, it's up the checks stop coming.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:

I think this is an excellent idea and have often wondered why this hasn't been implemented nation-wide. Think of how dramatic the crime would decrease. No more robberies (of cash, anyway) from banks, party stores, gas stations, ATMs, homes, persons, etc. Most people have credit cards anyway. I only use cash when credit is not accepted. Credit cards are easy to cancel if stolen. Debit cards can be provided to those who can't obtain credit cards (though no credit or debit insurance would be provided by the government, just the card). Vending machines can be converted with credit card readers. We have the technology. And most importantly, I won't have to carry around dirty, stinky cash that has been who-knows-where.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM

348 posts, read 638,671 times
Quote:
" (6 years welfare max, SINK OR SWIM)"

How should they be warehoused after the 6 year buffer?

And why 6 years - three years should be fine for them to straighten out their act on a two-year degree from a community college or public university.
A new gilded age shines on America

Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I guess everyone missed the sarcasm in fmax's post.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1010 View Post
I was given no grant assistance because my family made "enough money over the cut off" but we still lived paycheck to paycheck like most other white suburban families. Also, as far as jobs go for college students. My alma mater has a saying "our graduates innovate and create jobs, they don't take them" my best friend and I have started an automotive leather wrapping start up ourselves. So don't cop out under "how can they do this, or that." I'm so sick of bridge card abuse. It is a federal problem and it has been addressed by Snyder but non-profits in detroit are trying to stop anything from being passed. And my point was basically to make sure legislation passes to ensure a limitation.

MOST WHITE SUBURBAN FAMILIES LIVE PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK???? ARE YOU SERIOUS??????? Do you even know what "living paycheck to paycheck" is?

Didn't college students abuse the bridge cards as well? Why don't you rail against them?

Yes, Detroit would most definitely benefit if we adopted more conservative values and principles. I wholeheartedly agree. It's amazing how we have a church on every block, yet we might have the most depraved population in the state.

Also, Mr. Dubs1010, you stated that you were looking for a place to live in Midtown, but how can you live a city of which you have such a low regard for the 88% of the population? The message from your posts are basically: blacks are bad, and whites are good.

Last edited by usroute10; 09-18-2011 at 03:16 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Yes, Detroit would most definitely benefit if we adopted more conservative values and principles. I wholeheartedly agree. It's amazing how we have a church on every block, yet we might have the most depraved population in the state.

Also, Mr. Dubs1010, you stated that you were looking for a place to live in Midtown, but how can you live a city of which you have such a low regard for the 88% of the population? The message from your posts are basically: blacks are bad, and whites are good.
People can be socially conservative and fiscally liberal.

Detroiters would fall into that category.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
What about Detroiters is socially conservative? Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit