Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM

232 posts, read 736,302 times

Advertisements

Those of you who are locals, do you know much about this place? I'm kinda half apartment shopping and want something that's in the center of downtown. Is this as close as it gets (for an affordable studio)? I don't have a car so I want a place where I can walk, I want to be near the 'Y' or similar fitness center, etc. Has downtown changed enough recently where more people are living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
There's definitely an increased population in downtown. In fact, you ought to call the apartment managers to see if there's even space available. Not sure about this apartment specifically, but units are filling up in the area and some places even have waiting lists now. Being close to Comerica Park, though, you'd have to contend with stadium noise and crowds but if you're not too bothered by it then it's no big deal.

The YMCA is about a 5 minute walk from across the park. Or there's the Detroit Athletics Club if you want to try to get into a private club which is about the same distance.

The drawback to living Downtown is that there is still a lack of major shopping retail like clothing stores or grocery stores, it's mostly just bars and restaurants. The closest grocery I can think of is in Lafayette Park or in Midtown. Lafayette Park would be a 20 minute walk and you can just catch the bus to Midtown.

The trend now is riding around by bike so I'd suggest definitely getting one if you move. Having a bike allows you to go pretty far in Detroit and there's actually a monthly biking meetup in Grand Circus Park if you're interested. It's free and open to anyone who joins.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 PM

159 posts, read 558,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Those of you who are locals, do you know much about this place? I'm kinda half apartment shopping and want something that's in the center of downtown. Is this as close as it gets (for an affordable studio)? I don't have a car so I want a place where I can walk, I want to be near the 'Y' or similar fitness center, etc. Has downtown changed enough recently where more people are living there?
Traditionally, the heart of "downtown" Detroit is considered to be about the intersection of Woodward & Jefferson Avenues.

Detroit & SE Michigan have public transportation, but... Well, figure that out for yourself.

If your budget hovers around just finding a studio apartment, not having to pay the insanely high auto insurance cost Detroiters do will help a lot, but on the other hand, you're not going to be walking to the Farmer Jack in Highland Park. Nor should you waste the time to inquire about a membership at the Detroit Athletic Club.

Fyfe Apartments Detroit Michigan - Better Apartment Living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit