Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,283,601 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, downtown and Midtown have reached the tipping point where things are only going to get better.

So much cool stuff going on down there... and so great to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
This thread is going to be met with hate and you might even be personally attacked but I'm with you. I too believe downtown and midtown have reached a tipping point. These areas are a start, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step. Detroit's decline is slowing which IS the beginning of a turnaround. The core of the city is the best investment they can make, if you can't attract people and businesses to the core then how do you expect the city to bring the neighborhoods back? The core will probably increase Detroit's the tax base so the city can afford to help out the residents. And before the negativity rolls in I just want to say to Captain Obvious, Sherlock Holmes, and all the dead horse beaters "GOD DO WE ALL KNOW THAT DETROIT HAS PROBLEMS! But can we please, please just talk about some of the positives".

Old 03-30-2015, 03:37 AM

171 posts, read 303,401 times
I visit Detroit every 3-4 months. Every time I'm there the city has a better vibe than the previous time.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
This thread is going to be met with hate and you might even be personally attacked but I'm with you. I too believe downtown and midtown have reached a tipping point. These areas are a start, a journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step. Detroit's decline is slowing which IS the beginning of a turnaround. The core of the city is the best investment they can make, if you can't attract people and businesses to the core then how do you expect the city to bring the neighborhoods back? The core will probably increase Detroit's the tax base so the city can afford to help out the residents. And before the negativity rolls in I just want to say to Captain Obvious, Sherlock Holmes, and all the dead horse beaters "GOD DO WE ALL KNOW THAT DETROIT HAS PROBLEMS! But can we please, please just talk about some of the positives".
Agree 100%.

In my opinion, truthfully, this has been a process that began with the new stadiums downtown. When I was downtown and in Midtown this weekend, though, it was the first time in my life I honestly felt that there was enough cool new stuff and enough momentum that I think it will be sufficient to attract the young people moving in, real estate speculators and businesses that will likely see those areas continue to improve... hopefully faster than slower.

The neighborhoods will be in bad shape for a very long time. But basically half of Chicago is rotten neighborhoods, but it's still a great city.

However, because real estate is so cheap in most of Detroit, including near most areas near downtown, change could come quicker than normal, both from prospective residents and investors.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
Something has to be done about the school system. That's the main impediment to future growth. Until then, you'll see young professionals leave for the suburbs once they're ready to have kids.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 27,005 times
I moved to the area 2 1/2 years ago and has made huge strides in just the time that I have been here. So much so that we are looking to buy a home in the city. There are a lot of people that like to bash the city that have honestly not even been there in years. And a lot of people that live in the 'burbs have serious fear of the city. I travel around the area a lot and I am in the city a fair amount and goodness knows there are areas that have issues and will get worse before they get better. This is not true for the whole city though.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Something has to be done about the school system. That's the main impediment to future growth. Until then, you'll see young professionals leave for the suburbs once they're ready to have kids.
I am not big fan of non-public school because I like everything to fit standard but for Detroit, alternative school might be good option. We already have several high performing schools in Detroit, but they are few. Entire Detroit school district doesn't need to be reformed. We need few Renaissance High and Cass Tech High type school set right in midtown/downtown & we are set.

As mentioned before, no need to tackle the entire city at once. Focus on core, get good school in core maybe not DPS but charter school

Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Yes and no. Affordable private schools could also suffice.

Unfortunately the cost of many of those have exploded over the last 15 years.

There used to be quite a few affordable and good Catholic schools. Not so much anymore.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
I give the credit to Illitch, Karmanos and Gilbert. It is because these wealthy individuals have been willing to invest in the city that it has recovered. What is happening in downtown & midtown is proof of what capitalism and a business-friendly government can accomplish.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,890,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I give the credit to Illitch, Karmanos and Gilbert. It is because these wealthy individuals have been willing to invest in the city that it has recovered. What is happening in downtown & midtown is proof of what capitalism and a business-friendly government can accomplish.
I can agree with that. Usually I'm more for people but honestly a city like Detroit needs both businesses and people. I encourage all because there is more than enough room for all. And you better believe that some companies are watching Detroit businesses like a hawk right now. Like when Meijer first opened in the city, or with Applebee's opening up, I guarantee their competitors are watching them closely to see how they do in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit