Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM

44 posts, read 46,490 times

Advertisements

No PE did not. What PE provided was evidence that Southfield was not getting worse. That has never been the point of conjecture here. I never stated I had proof of anything. I stated that via observational evidence that I personally acquired, either by living through the situation or witnessing it second hand, once minorities begin to populate communities those same communities seem to go down hill. That does not mean that those same communities cannot level out. I WELCOME evidence to the contrary or that which supports the premise.

Generally speaking, when someone begins by stating that something, anything, SEEMS, to be one way or another, that is precisely what they are implying. They could in fact be wrong. What is unclear about that?

That's the real problem with racism. The type of racism that PE has demonstrated here. It's all impulsive defense before any real offense is committed and is entirely ego driven. It become a matter of false pride.This entire post has NOTHING to do with genetics or racism. It's about minority culture clash and how it destroys social continuity.

Again, I would love to hear if you have something intelligent and relevant to contribute. Stop attempting to make me out to be the bad guy. Get on topic.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
What is there to refute?

That more blacks = declining living standards? That's a jackass ignorant thing to say and wrong even in the case of Detroit.

When Detroit's economy began to surge so did the number of blacks living there. Back while it was surging, that increase of the number of blacks did NOTHING to slow Detroit down.

Now that Detroit is declining, blacks are leaving to places like Atlanta. But the fact that Detroit metro has less and less blacks doesn't do anything for Detroit's economic viability or desirability to live.

I live in Atlanta right now, it's overall blacker than Detroit (60% for city proper, but 35% for MSA compared to 20% for MSA Detroit). It's far more affluent than Detroit whether we're talking about the city herself or the suburbs. Blacks don't seem to have any negative impact on Atlanta, even though many of the blacks moving to Atlanta come from Detroit and Chicago.

You are mixing cause and effect.

Your last point about Southfield is also a jackass ignorant statement. As I showed, in 2010 Southfield had a crime index that was average. The last 3 years, Southfield had crime indices in the 300s which again makes it average. If Southfield has a higher crime rate than Livonia it's due to the fact Southfield has more bars (like Lucky's Southfield). If you compare the murder rates of Livonia to Southfield they aren't much different (one averages 2 per 100,000, the other 1.5 per 100,000) the difference comes in the assault rates which stem from bar fights on Friday/Saturday night. But really no difference.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What is there to refute?

That more blacks = declining living standards? That's a jackass ignorant thing to say and wrong even in the case of Detroit.

When Detroit's economy began to surge so did the number of blacks living there. Back while it was surging, that increase of the number of blacks did NOTHING to slow Detroit down.

Now that Detroit is declining, blacks are leaving to places like Atlanta. But the fact that Detroit metro has less and less blacks doesn't do anything for Detroit's economic viability or desirability to live.

I live in Atlanta right now, it's overall blacker than Detroit (60% for city proper, but 35% for MSA compared to 20% for MSA Detroit). It's far more affluent than Detroit whether we're talking about the city herself or the suburbs. Blacks don't seem to have any negative impact on Atlanta, even though many of the blacks moving to Atlanta come from Detroit and Chicago.

You are mixing cause and effect.

Your last point about Southfield is also a jackass ignorant statement. As I showed, in 2010 Southfield had a crime index that was average. The last 3 years, Southfield had crime indices in the 300s which again makes it average. If Southfield has a higher crime rate than Livonia it's due to the fact Southfield has more bars (like Lucky's Southfield). If you compare the murder rates of Livonia to Southfield they aren't much different (one averages 2 per 100,000, the other 1.5 per 100,000) the difference comes in the assault rates which stem from bar fights on Friday/Saturday night. But really no difference.
You are a racist. Plain and simple. I never once made the statement, not even the insinuation, that "Blacks" are directly responsible for anything negative in the social consideration that my initial post represents.

Your racist response here in this thread is sheer ignorance in action. Literally, your short sighted impulse driven pseudo certainty is the biggest problem of all.

You have no clue whether I myself am Black or not. None whatsoever. You have also made up as many excuses and fictitious self serving reasons in an effort to doctor your facts as you have listed actual facts themselves to bolster your false argument. Take a bow.

The truth is that according to City Data, Southfield has the EXACT same, or WORSE, violent crime stats as it did 10 years prior. Figures don't lie, but liars assuredly figure to their own advantage. Go figure.

I stand by what I stated PE. Southfield is a MUCH worse off place today than it was in times past before it's minority based culture specific hijack and subsequent corruption. I really couldn't care less what you think at this point, because of your overt and disgusting racist attitude.

It's too bad that the culture terrorists within specific self serving minority based circles have seen to the vast ruin of so many years of hard honest work from and by members of their own minority. Strong and truly proud minority members that knew what it meant to get with the program instead of creating their own self serving, identity crisis inspired agendas. Efforts by men and women of real and uncontentious renown that would have gone a long way to provide an intellectually rich and professionally diverse community of real American citizens of all colors and creeds, rather than the separatist culture solidarity currently underway in cities such as Pontiac, Detroit, and yes, Southfield.

The many always seem to do their best to ruin it for the few. Guess that's why so many of us have moved out to the country instead of just moving across 8 mile.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntrepidNobody View Post
You are a racist. Plain and simple. I never once made the statement, not even the insinuation, that "Blacks" are directly responsible for anything negative in the social consideration that my initial post represents.
I can read behind the lines. I know exactly what I need to know about you.

Quote:
The truth is that according to City Data, Southfield has the EXACT same, or WORSE, violent crime stats as it did 10 years prior. Figures don't lie, but liars assuredly figure to their own advantage. Go figure.
1999 crime index: 498
2000 crime index: 523
2001 crime index: 544
2002 crime index: 466

versus

2007 crime index: 436
2008 crime index: 361
2009 crime index: 338
2010 crime index: 320

Which looks worse to you einstein?

Let's average the homicide rate:

1999: 6.6
2000: 2.7
2001: 6.4
2002: 7.6

average: 5.6

2007: 2.6
2008: 0
2009: 2.7
2010: 6.7

average: 3

Either way you wanna slice it.

Quote:
I stand by what I stated PE. Southfield is a MUCH worse off place today than it was in times past before it's minority based culture specific hijack and subsequent corruption. I really couldn't care less what you think at this point, because of your overt and disgusting racist attitude.
Yeah I know. Because it has more blacks today. That's it. You're just a clown.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM

321 posts, read 861,351 times
It continually amazes me at how quick Americans (of all races) are to jump at the opportunity to call someone racist. It's as if our culture (again, the culture of all races in the USA) encourages one to nit-pick and look for ways of bashing someone for being racist.

Europeans (I'm not referring to European-Americans; I'm referring to people who were born in and live in Europe) can be, and are, much more direct and open about these subjects because Europeans don't have this element to their culture. One wonders how this got to be such a touchy subject in the USA when it's not in other countries that also have minorities.

For what it's worth, I got a much more positive impression driving around Southfield than I did other suburbs such as Warren. I can't believe it's that bad of a place.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
It continually amazes me at how quick Americans (of all races) are to jump at the opportunity to call someone racist. It's as if our culture (again, the culture of all races in the USA) encourages one to nit-pick and look for ways of bashing someone for being racist.

Europeans (I'm not referring to European-Americans; I'm referring to people who were born in and live in Europe) can be, and are, much more direct and open about these subjects because Europeans don't have this element to their culture. One wonders how this got to be such a touchy subject in the USA when it's not in other countries that also have minorities.

For what it's worth, I got a much more positive impression driving around Southfield than I did other suburbs such as Warren. I can't believe it's that bad of a place.
Europe is way more homogeneous than the United States and their minorities are much more segregated.

I am just curious, but have you spent a lot of time in Europe?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I can read behind the lines. I know exactly what I need to know about you.

1999 crime index: 498
2000 crime index: 523
2001 crime index: 544
2002 crime index: 466

versus

2007 crime index: 436
2008 crime index: 361
2009 crime index: 338
2010 crime index: 320

Which looks worse to you einstein?

Let's average the homicide rate:

1999: 6.6
2000: 2.7
2001: 6.4
2002: 7.6

average: 5.6

2007: 2.6
2008: 0
2009: 2.7
2010: 6.7

average: 3

Either way you wanna slice it.

Yeah I know. Because it has more blacks today. That's it. You're just a clown.
Here are the facts. //www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Michigan.html

Pay attention to which numbers changed. Note that murder, rape, burglary, robbery are just as bad if not worse in 2010 than they were in 1999. These are the serious crimes. Then note which numbers have decreased. Note that assault is dramatically less in 2010 than 1999. That's because police no longer treat assault as a serious threat with respect to response times because of the diminished number of police available and the broad definition of assault. A person gets charged with assault for name calling or pushing. Giving someone the finger and a dirty look could get you charged with assault. Assault is NOT the same thing as Assault and Battery. Everything is lumped together.

Then note how car theft is also dramatically down. That's because of the dramatic increase in the effectiveness of car theft deterrent systems, ie. tracking. A huge deterrent that has dramatically effected a decrease of national auto theft rates. This is what PE has shown us. The offset of inconsequential crimes when capitulated as whole with serious crime.

Of course, these figures serve PE's private agenda.

Southfield has NOT changed for the better whatsoever. Again, figures don't lie, liars figure. The figures here speak for themselves. Incidentally, what PE is not telling you is that an index is representative of non specific information. It's representative of grouped percentages at a glance which is really no specific indicator at all. No cigar.

Murder/Rape (the two worst) Just the same if not worse.

Robbery/Burglary (serious theft involving breaking and entering and/or violent intent or execution) However we do note that simple theft is down which offsets and confuses the index further. Simple theft compared to Robbery/Burglary is akin to taking someone's marbles, however, even on a thief's best day he's out of luck if he attempts to out PE of his marbles.

Don't forget to water that flower on top Oopsy.

BTW, Southfield is NOT a bad place and that is NOT the mission of this post. Start from the beginning. It might just reveal something interesting.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM

50 posts, read 127,080 times
[quote=TheIntrepidNobody;26075875]You obviously did not read my initial post that hoped to avoid the type of ignorance and hate based nonsense that you, and you alone, have forwarded here. Southfield is a wonderful city. However, the communities of Southfield and Lathrup Village have both plummeted in terms of a quality draw over the last 20 years. I'm sorry, but anyone that was familiar with the communities prior to this time frame will agree wholeheartedly.

Southfield has the 25th highest crime rate of all cities in Michigan. The city of Lathrup Village is 31st highest in Michigan.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Southfield is a little better than 50% Black. Guess what? If that's the case, they are not the minority are they? What is the contention of my initial post? Read much? Are you aware that race and culture are two completely different things?

Southfield, Michigan, Demographic Statistics

The city Southfield's yearly crime statistics over the last 10 years are anything but average as compared to the rest of the USA. Considerably higher.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I went to the link and found it somewhat amusing that Mackinac Island has the 19th highest crime rate in Michigan.

Seriously, the point you are making is virtually incomprehensible. Stop arguing about whether crime has gone up in Southfield and tell us is clear terms what the cause is - not some vague jargon about multiculturalism, but a simple, straightforward explanation of why you think this change is related to numbers of minorities and not to larger economic factors as others here have argued. Provide some evidence - again, not nonsense statements like "No system is meaningfully or efficiently functional apart from refined systematics." Explain why some communities with large minority populations have these problems and others don't. Convince us with evidence, not conjecture.

Last edited by Yac; 09-18-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntrepidNobody View Post

Murder/Rape (the two worst) Just the same if not worse.
Murder is way down, so is assault. The only thing consistent is rape which is basically something that primarily occurs at highschool/college parties (makes up a large % of that statistic).

Livonia's rate for rape is very similar to that of Southfield (20s versus 30s). Nothing real major thing to be concerned about.

But since assaults make up a large chunk of violent crime statistics, and they're down, overall violent crime is down in Southfield. But the most important of all violent crime, murder, is down by HALF.

For assault:

1999: 755 (/ 100,000)
2000: 777
2001: 1038
2002: 875

versus

2007: 721
2008: 440
2009: 328
2010: 339

I don't even need to do an average here, it's very clear.

Oh no, Southfield is getting worse

Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
What a beautiful train wreck of a thread.
I'm closing it before it gets really bad and judging by the direction it's going, it won't take long.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit