Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:20 PM

152 posts, read 392,421 times

Advertisements

Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Can’t Read « CBS Detroit

Quote:
According to a new report, 47 percent of Detroiters are ”functionally illiterate.” The alarming new statistics were released by the Detroit Regional Workforce Fund on Wednesday.
WWJ Newsradio 950 spoke with the Fund’s Director, Karen Tyler-Ruiz, who explained exactly what this means.
“Not able to fill out basic forms, for getting a job — those types of basic everyday (things). Reading a prescription; what’s on the bottle, how many you should take… just your basic everyday tasks,” she said.
Detroit can't seem to escape bad press. I know it easy to blame poor schools for why students can't read, but what about the parents? How did this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I don't know why this surprises anyone.

I'm actually surprised it's under 50 percent; I'd have thought it to be more. It happened because a big chunk of the population does not consider education or skills such as reading, writing and arithmetic important, and/or they figure they're lucky if their children make it to 18 without being killed or incarcerated so why bother. Or, they (parents) have no control and no clue how to get control of their offspring because they didn't learn from their parents and don't know where to begin. Many of these parents (mothers, basically) have their hands full with basic survival - shelter, food, etc and reading to junior or teaching him or her basics like colors, shapes, letters, etc is way, way at the bottom of the list of priorities. I have encountered many bright, inquistive and smart little children who I predict will end up illiterate or close to it because of their family situations....it is heartbreaking.

I've worked as an adult literacy tutor so I have a little insight...also I must point out that illiterate people are often very, very smart and have evolved ways to compensate that are truly impressive.

Bottom line, though, in my experience - educational skills are not seen as important or relevant to many people, so they don't impress this on their children. And so the cycle continues.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
What do they define as "functionally literate'? I'm not sure - but I bet its probably like getting a 21 on the ACT or some such test. When I think of functionally literate - I think being able to read/write at a 6th grade level - I'm sure that is probably in the 10% range. I think these studies are presented by educational groups just to get people to guilt trip more money into random educational programs.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 PM

166 posts, read 375,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I think these studies are presented by educational groups just to get people to guilt trip more money into random educational programs.
I agree! I'm not sure how a failing system can ask for more money for more of the same, but that's how it works I guess.

What gets me is, if a kid cannot drop out of school until 16, and certainly shouldn't keep passing to higher grades as an illiterate, didn't the school systems fail these people by passing them on?

I attended public schools. And I can't imagine passing year after year without being able to read. These teachers should be fired - what a crime against these children's future they commit every time they kick the can. And don't talk about more funding. Plenty of public school systems are doing their jobs, with the same or less money. It's time we hold inner city school administrators and teachers accountable.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,395,457 times
I would like to know if the people who come up with this **** test every last person in Detroit IQ or something???? I mean really, smh and people believe this ****

Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I think many Detroiters have simply given up. Therefore, what use is knowing how to read? To get a job at McDonald's? To read a prescription that you can't afford in the first place?

People will learn to read when they have something to aspire to. Most of the opportunities for illiterate and under-literate have been shipped to China, Mexico, and elsewhere. Nowadays, you need a college degree to get even a menial job in the U.S. If you know you will never be going to college or getting a good job, why not just give up and complain that the government (and the rich capitalists who support the government) should take care of you?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Reading is overrated

Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Reading is overrated
The U.S. economy is slowly transforming itself into a third world economy, and in third world economies functional literacy is often unnecessary. It might be better this way, anyway, because literate peasants are liable to read subversive Marxist literature, inciting them to revolt.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
The U.S. economy is slowly transforming itself into a third world economy, and in third world economies functional literacy is often unnecessary. It might be better this way, anyway, because literate peasants are liable to read subversive Marxist literature, inciting them to revolt.
...or, heaven forbid, read the U.S. Constitution.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM

70 posts, read 132,456 times
This is so sad. Uneducated kids go on to be non-contributing members of society and only produce children who are at risk of doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: