Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Detroit only getting worse?
Yes 33 75.00%
No 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,985,944 times

Advertisements

When you see videos like these:

The abandoned skyscrapers of Detroit - YouTube

Capital of Scrap: Dying Detroit looting itself - YouTube

It's hard to see or believe that Detroit is improving or even reinventing itself. I have not seen this level of decay so widespread in any other major American city. Even downtown Detroit is becoming dilapidated and appears to be dying out, with several large abandoned skyscrapers.

My questions are:

-How much further does Detroit have to shrink before it can begin to rebuild and grow?

-Is Detroit in the midst of a rebound now? People have been saying this since the 1970's...

-What will it take to put Detroit back on the map as a growing and prosperous American city? Or is it doomed to this fate forever?

-What's stopping Detroit from being like Cleveland or Pittsburgh? Other industrial cities that have rebounded and are doing extremely well now.

-Will Detroit ever get a handle on its soaring high crime rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
CAN-O-WORMS, I can smell the dissension already.

BUT THE PEOPLE OF DETROIT ARE GREAT AND GOOD AND....

Why yes they are. If it weren't for the great people of Detroit I would never go into the city. It is and has been those in POWER who are dragging the city to its death.

LIke most other political machines, politics and business are strange bed-fellows and as Kilpatrick's trial has shown, just another shade of the GOOD OL BOYS CLUB.

Kilpatrick WILL be mayor again, wait and see. Right after he is acquitted of ALL charges.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM

I have no doubt there are good people there, as there are in any city. Why is the corruption in Detroit so much worse than other cities? What exactly is dragging Detroit down? Why can't they model themselves after a successful and growing city?

Not trying to start a war here, but Indianapolis recently passed up Detroit as the second most populous city in the midwest, and the downtown there is pretty decent, it's no Chicago though...

Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When you see videos like these:

The abandoned skyscrapers of Detroit - YouTube

Capital of Scrap: Dying Detroit looting itself - YouTube

It's hard to see or believe that Detroit is improving or even reinventing itself. I have not seen this level of decay so widespread in any other major American city. Even downtown Detroit is becoming dilapidated and appears to be dying out, with several large abandoned skyscrapers.

My questions are:

-How much further does Detroit have to shrink before it can begin to rebuild and grow?

-Is Detroit in the midst of a rebound now? People have been saying this since the 1970's...

-What will it take to put Detroit back on the map as a growing and prosperous American city? Or is it doomed to this fate forever?

-What's stopping Detroit from being like Cleveland or Pittsburgh? Other industrial cities that have rebounded and are doing extremely well now.

-Will Detroit ever get a handle on its soaring high crime rate?
To answer your questions (and as of right now I live in one of Detroit's neighborhoods, not downtown or in the suburbs).

1. I'm think it will bottom out at around 300,000. There's nothing at all to suggest Detroit's population decline will slow down, at least for the next 2 or 3 census counts. With the possible exception of garbage pickup and water, all of the municipal services run by DPS or the city of Detroit are completely dysfunctional. When your home has a good chance of burning down because there aren't enough fire turcks or when you can get shot in the head because the police won't let you inside a police station since they're no longer open 24 hours, it's very hard to convince many people that the city's coming back or even convince many people to stay/move here.

2. No. Even downtown has a long way to go before I can safely say that it's "booming", let alone the rest of the city.

3. First, it has to fix its schools and its public safety problem. As far as the schools, it's going to take generations to sort that out. As far as public safety, Detroit's broke so more cuts are going to be made to it. Detroit's true comeback may happen well into the future, but likely not in my lifetime.

4. I wouldn't say Cleveland is coming back. Detroit just makes it look good in comparison lately. Keep in mind after Detroit, Cleveland posted the largest population decline of this decade. It also doesn't have the budget problems that Detroit has. One thing it does have going for it is that its suburbs actually embrace the fact that they need a healthy Cleveland in order to thrive as a Metro area. They've long had a RTA and Cleveland is still the employment center of the region. As far as Pittsburgh, it partially benefits from the fact that it has so many Universities in its border, one of which is a top tier University. Wayne STate until recently was a lower tier commuter school. Furthermore, Pittsburgh has topography on its side. It's not as easy for the people in Pittsburgh to run to the suburbs (due to elevation) as it is in Detroit.

5. See my previous answers. The mayor's solution is to blame the citizens and taxpayers of Detroti for the high crime rate instead of coming up with solutions to tackle it, like an elected leader is supposed to do.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
Quote:
I have no doubt there are good people there, as there are in any city. Why is the corruption in Detroit so much worse than other cities? What exactly is dragging Detroit down? Why can't they model themselves after a successful and growing city?

Not trying to start a war here, but Indianapolis recently passed up Detroit as the second most populous city in the midwest, and the downtown there is pretty decent, it's no Chicago though...

It Depends on one's POV. It probably isn't "worse" that other places. It is just that Detroit politicians were it as a badge of honor and the people tend to vote for the "devil they know" as opposed to the one they don't. This is a quote I have heard and been told on more than one occassion by more than one citizen of Detroit.

And NEVER compare Detroit to Atlanta and the wildly successful ATLANTIC STATION--never ever do this if you want to avoid the proverbial internet war.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Why is the corruption in Detroit so much worse than other cities?
It's really not.

Chicago's politicians are some of the most corrupt in the country, yet you see how much better it's doing than Detroit.

Detroit suffers from too much incompetence.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,623,521 times
Didn't White-Candybar-Rapper make a rapmusic song that was supposed to propell the Big-D back into 1st world status??????

Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
To answer your questions (and as of right now I live in one of Detroit's neighborhoods, not downtown or in the suburbs).

4. I wouldn't say Cleveland is coming back. Detroit just makes it look good in comparison lately. Keep in mind after Detroit, Cleveland posted the largest population decline of this decade. It also doesn't have the budget problems that Detroit has. One thing it does have going for it is that its suburbs actually embrace the fact that they need a healthy Cleveland in order to thrive as a Metro area. They've long had a RTA and Cleveland is still the employment center of the region. As far as Pittsburgh, it partially benefits from the fact that it has so many Universities in its border, one of which is a top tier University. Wayne STate until recently was a lower tier commuter school. Furthermore, Pittsburgh has topography on its side. It's not as easy for the people in Pittsburgh to run to the suburbs (due to elevation) as it is in Detroit.
What kind of shape is your neighborhood in? I don't really believe that all of Detroit's neighborhoods look rundown and abandoned, I'm there are some very decent ones, probably few and far between though. How is public safety?

Of what caliber is Wayne State University? I've seen the outside of it, it looks very rustic, with old but beautiful look architecture. Honestly though, you don't hear much about it in terms of sports, is it more of an academic university? How large is the student population?? I'm curious about it, I think areas of Detroit are preserved and well maintained, and this university intrigues me.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM

21,156 posts, read 19,748,059 times
I'd say that overall the city is getting worse. But some areas are maintaining (the wealthier areas) and some are improving (downtown, midtown, corktown, the riverfront). I know that I will be accused of being a racist for saying this but I think it will take more blacks moving out and more whites moving in for things to change. Not that blacks are genetically deficient, just that the experiment in minority self-government has been a failure. Detroit can't be a black island cut off from the white suburbs. The whole metro area needs to be integrated. For Detroit, that means a lot of whites will have to move in. Most of the areas that are improving are ones where whites (including Hispanics) have had a major presence in recent years.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
the bankruptcy will be expensive. they will not get the money from the state, not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit