Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 AM

151 posts, read 640,965 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that Dearborn has a SUBSTANTIAL Middle Eastern population as well. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there are more Arabs in Dearborn than Whites.

If you are looking for all white neighborhoods (which is why I left the Detroit area - the city is so segregated) that are in close proximity, look in Grosse Pointe for more affluent community/home. Sterling Heights, Warren, Roseville for nice homes, more middle-class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
http://www.theworldiscoming.com/images/gitg.campusmartiuslights.jpg (broken link)

Sounds like the last remaining white Detroit neighborhoods would be near Dearborn....It would be nice if Detroit could clear out the DT area and get a bunch of people in there. You have the Detroit river and Ontario right OVER the river, so you have nice scenery. I really wish I tried to get to know Detroit and its people more over the 35 years I've lived in Chicago. I'm ashamed to say I've just been there once. I remember it having the same feel as Chicago. I just don't think there is anything special about Chicago that makes it the only city in the midwest to gentrify old areas and DT. I think you would have to bulldoze much of the area surrounding DT, however, and build essentially a whole new neighborhood. If you literally bulldozed 1/5 of the city around downtown, it could happen......

Old 11-04-2007, 06:35 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that Dearborn has a SUBSTANTIAL Middle Eastern population as well. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there are more Arabs in Dearborn than Whites.
???? Arabs ARE "whites". They may not be European-Americans, but they're not a separate race from "white" either. And in Dearborn, they equal something like 30% of the population, but probably 70-80% of the population of kids. Just like any immigrant group, they seem to tend to have more kids than your average American.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:45 AM

53 posts, read 252,564 times
The poster above me said it best. Arabs are White. Since 9/11, they haven't really been considered White by society, but by government definition, logic, and reality, they are White.

Also, I spent about a week in Michigan, and a few days in Dearborn, over the Summer. 30% Arab seems a bit off. It seemed more like 50-60% Arab. To my understanding, many Arabs do not fill out the Census because they do not understand its importance. Besides, that was in 2000. Change is possible in a 7 year period.

Last edited by StillFreak; 11-04-2007 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 AM

21 posts, read 64,400 times
To answer the original post there are a few decent neighborhoods in Detroit. But why live there since you have city income tax to pay? Decent areas are near downtown, Indian Village and some around Harper Woods.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 30,907 times
Allen Park Lincoln Park areas are nice 20 min south of Detroit

Old 11-07-2007, 01:03 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Corktown may be the only predominantly white neighborhood left in the city of Detroit. It is a small community of Victorian houses and some apartment/rowhouses built in the late 1800's and early 1900's. It is located immediately west of Downtown Detroit, south of Michigan Avenue. It was traditionally a Catholic neighborhood. Half of the neighborhood was bulldozed in the 1960's for urban renewal.

The glitzy Indian Village is half and half. And there is the city of Hamtramck, which is only 15% black. The black population in Hamtramck actually decrease from 1990 to 2000. Hamtramck is next to Highland Park, which is 93% black and 4% white.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 21,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewchat View Post
Please don't think I am a racist or anything but I got out of Detroit in 1993 and I ain't going back. Why do you want to move there anyways? I lost 4 cars in two years and I received many midnight skeletal stolen car drop offs too. I was moving my lawn mower to my front yard and someone helped themselves to my grass whip before I got back. I must have painted my garage 10 times since the locals thought I wanted their wanna be gang stuff decorating my property. Oh and lets not forget how wonderful the city itself is to work with. I lived in one of those so called white neighborhoods probably 80% but that don't mean anything. Do yourself a major favor and buy in a ethnically diverse but better neighborhood. I moved to Ann Arbor boy what a difference and my Girlfriend lives in Royal Oak that is an awsome place too.
Hope you find a great home to live in,
Mewchat
This is so true!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
just wondering.....
i dont know but man got some blue light specials on houses for sure.
what are folks in detroit guna do for money when they stop makin cars?
what do they do now?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 21,698 times
Cool Happy to see this inquiry

I live in River Rouge (not in the city limits but within sprinting distance of the Delray Neighborhood). Delray has many extremely poor whites traped in the city because of lack of money and low property value--certainly wouldn't recommend the neighborhood. I'm only 25 but both of my parents grew up in Detroit while it was still predominatly white--euro-american I should say--and have a deep love of the city, dispite its many current downfalls. I would be very interested in living in Detroit if I could find a neighborhood that was approaching 50 percent Euro. Are there any one on here currently living in Detroit that could offer up some info? I know the lonyo/michigan ave area--though mixed with the hispanic community--still has many whites living there. though once you get near Warren Ave that all changes. Midtown Detroit has some student ghettos where a white guy wouldn't feel completely out of place. Woodbridge seems to be growing and perhaps the most popular neighborhood currently for us euros interested in going back to detroit. The main residential district of Corktown could be considered a white neighborhood though the 1850's homes go for a nice bit of money even in unrestored condition. I hang out in some of these areas, first driving around, then taking part in some of the events in area and then just getting a group of pals to hang out at the neighborhood bars and what not...for a white-euro i'd say that Corktown or Woodbridge would be the better choices, with parts of Southwest coming in third. Once you get past Warren you're in a whole different area, same once you pass Gratiot going towards Elmwood Cemetary. I haven't had to much of a chance to explore Hamtramck but I knew a couple guys that grew up out there and they said that the western part of the city is about 15-20% euro-white, much like River Rouge...though Arabs are a major presence. Just my insights...love to hear what others know or think

Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
The last census I read stated Detroit was 89% black. There are pockets of white neighborhoods in Detroit but its on the decline. Dearborn has a very large arab population expecially on the east side. Lincoln Park is becoming more diverse because real estate has taken such a dive, homes are more affordable. There are many blacks that want out of Detroit just like whites do. So they move to the burbs with hopes their kids can play outside without getting shot. The "whitest" burb south of Detroit in my experience is Wyandotte. The city has the largest polish population from my understanding. I have seen cops hassle black guys walking the neighborhoods passing out flyers and other stuff. Bishop park had basketball courts. Black kids from Detroit would come down to play ball and take over the courts. So what does Wyandotte do? They tear out the courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit