Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times

Advertisements

University of Chicago, Columbia, Northwestern, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, Harvard, Yale are all approximately $60K a year for undergrad. I would imagine many of the Ivys aren't far behind if behind at all.

If you haven't looked at the prices in 10 or even 5 years they have really gone up.

That includes room and board, but of course the vast majority of students who are going to attend those schools need it.

It is worth noting that substantial financial aid is often available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Harvard tuition is 37,576. With room and board included it costs $54,496 (you can find cheaper room and board). I did not bother to look up the others. The law school prices I related earlier were either 2011 or 2012.

Factoring in room and board does not make sense. It is a cost of living, not a cost of college. You need to eat and sleep mo matter where you go or what you do. That is a cost of existing, not a cost of college. Room and board is not significantly cheaper from one college to another, so it is not pertinent

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM

Every publication I've ever read includes room and board, as well as book costs and stuff, because, simply, it is something you are going to have to pay for, when generally discussing undergrad prices.

Here's a Forbes link: Welcome to Forbes

I imagine they factor in cost of living because the vast majority of people outside school are paying for their room and board as they go, while in college most people are in the position of either having to borrow it, have someone else pay for it, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,563 times
I think we're splitting hairs here.

The point is that an English degree from a prestigious university is probably not worth 6-figure debt when you can get a degree that will likely achieve the same goals from a somewhat less prestigious (or low-IQ, as Bhaalspawn would describe it) university.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,364 times
Perhaps the OP doesn't need to pay room and board; did I miss something?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
I think the better question is "Is the degree employable?"

ColdJensens and my daughter-in-law both took the same path, English Degree to Law School. I know one other person with an English Degree - he is waiting tables seven years after college graduation.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Then he's a moron. Half the people I went to school with graduated with liberal arts degrees and went on to do very well in a wide variety of fields.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Then he's a moron. Half the people I went to school with graduated with liberal arts degrees and went on to do very well in a wide variety of fields.
Also depends on when he graduated college- if he graduated at least a few years ago, he would have been much more settled in a decent career path, most likely.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM

131 posts, read 480,424 times
Put Wayne's credentials in your resume. Wayne has much stronger grad school than undergrad. It is a Carnegie Research Institution and a member of the Urban 13:

Category:Urban 13 universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think you can credibly point out the school's strengths. Some recruiters and employers go with schools they know, ones with good football teams, etc. Some actually look at the department's rankings. Good schools have bad departments and vice versa. See how Wayne's English department ranks nationally. Figure out what you can stress and stress it.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
I've danced around with this question about WSU, EMU, WMU, etc.

The bottom line is that employers from out of state don't recognize the degree as much as employers within the state. The farther you get away, the less reputable the degree becomes.

So if you are content with working in Michigan, it's a great degree to have. If you want to go out of state after graduation... best of luck.
Really? I'm trying to move from Pennsylvania to Michigan with my English degree from a PA University. I wonder if that's my issue. :\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: