Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan: economics, job market, loans, college graduate, teacher degree.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 AM

144 posts, read 547,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
if the job economy never went bad, would you still leave the state or is there actually something you like about the Detroit Metro area.
We will be leaving Michigan next month. Not because we want to, but because after nearly 2 years without employment in the auto related industry my husband was offered a job in Buffalo NY as a plant manager.

Would I stay if the economy was good or even better? YOU BET CHA! I don't want to leave my children, grand-children or widowed father, all the life long friends, the clubs we belong to, the home we thought we would die in....

I love Michigan, and have family and friends scattered all over the state. Swimming in it's many lakes in the summer, snow days with the kids, alnd all the things that this State has to offer.... it literally makes me sick to leave it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 24,248 times
Default leaving......

Like nearly everyone that has replied to your post I am leaving Detroit & Michigan as well. If the economy were better I would stay a little longer but I would still leave. The attitude of the Metro Detroit people as a whole is terrible. We are in the top percentage of segregated and racist regions in the country and I simply can not bare it anymore. I do not want my son to grow up here. It really hurts too becuase I also attended college in Jackson, MS (Jackson State Univeristy- Go Tigers!!) and came home with the hope of being one of the people to stick it out and help the city rebuild. Unfortunately, I can not carry the weight of a dying city AND state....so me and mine are leaving after the New Year.

I wouldn't necessarily say stay where you are for good. However, as you stated there is a high demand for black and male teachers in that area. YOu will be able to find a job very easily and be paid decently considering your jsut starting. The cost of living is not high there so stay, work, save money, get some experience, then move on to something and somewhere better. Maybe by then Detroit (and Michigan) will be worth coming back to.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 AM

69 posts, read 233,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocqueen View Post
Like nearly everyone that has replied to your post I am leaving Detroit & Michigan as well. If the economy were better I would stay a little longer but I would still leave. The attitude of the Metro Detroit people as a whole is terrible. We are in the top percentage of segregated and racist regions in the country and I simply can not bare it anymore. I do not want my son to grow up here. It really hurts too becuase I also attended college in Jackson, MS (Jackson State Univeristy- Go Tigers!!) and came home with the hope of being one of the people to stick it out and help the city rebuild. Unfortunately, I can not carry the weight of a dying city AND state....so me and mine are leaving after the New Year.

I wouldn't necessarily say stay where you are for good. However, as you stated there is a high demand for black and male teachers in that area. YOu will be able to find a job very easily and be paid decently considering your jsut starting. The cost of living is not high there so stay, work, save money, get some experience, then move on to something and somewhere better. Maybe by then Detroit (and Michigan) will be worth coming back to.
Hold on havocqueen.............You WENT TO JACKSON STATE?? THAT'S WHERE I CURRENTLY ATTEND!!! Wow, small world.......lol. Hey, you know made it to the SWAC Championship Game right? When did you attend and what year did you graduate?

Anyways, to everyone I appreciate your comments, I did not realize at first this thread got that many comments, so this is my first time checking in a few weeks. I'm glad there are those out there who feel the same way I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit