Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,761,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I think truthfully what did Detroit in was the housing bubble of 2008. Prior to the 2010 census, Detroit's population looked like it was leveling out. There were even lots of plans for redevelopment all across the city. That no doubt would have increased the tax base and perhaps would have given the city a chance to avoid bankruptcy.

But idk, there's other key points in the city's history that are coulda, woulda, shoulda. At this point, I just want the city to improve so I don't have to move to Chicago for decent bus service.
Even without the housing bubble, you can also thank Emperor Engler for lifting the residency requirement in 1998 (city lost tons of property tax revenue and received less income tax revenue as a result).

Detroit never had a chance after those two blows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,513,000 times
Well the capital of Penn filed so you are not alone 9 milers.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM

17,436 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Harrisburg was the 6th US city to declare bankruptcy in 2011 alone.......there will be more!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
9 milers?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,513,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
9 milers?
I thought you Detroit folks held that proud, at one time anyway?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM

494 posts, read 806,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Even without the housing bubble, you can also thank Emperor Engler for lifting the residency requirement in 1998 (city lost tons of property tax revenue and received less income tax revenue as a result).

Detroit never had a chance after those two blows.

Keep trying to blame the other party. Most sane people know otherwise. The Unions who have basically handpicked EVERY LEADER ( democrat ) that city has had has much to do with it. I don't blame the people either as many are poor and have no means of actually being able to see what has been going on and not being well educated ( because of the terrible schools ) has played into that as well.

What has happened to this city and it's poor people is horrible to say the least. Hopefully it can make a turn around now.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,944,570 times
The city of Detroit might actually decline even faster now. Read about Valejo Calif. and its bankruptcy. No doubt fire and police will have to be cut, crime and disorder will increase even more and more people will leave. It could be even uglier 2 years from now.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 PM

116 posts, read 285,424 times
Default Has the City Done Enough to Avoid This?

I wonder if the City has really done enough to avoid this in the first place. Over the years all I have seen is infighting among the City Council members, fighting between Council and the Mayor and no real effort for everyone to come together as a team to "fix" the issues. Businesses are awarded plenty of tax incentives for doing business in the City. Little effort to maintain/improve the neighborhoods (this goes all the way back to Coleman Young). And sorry, community centers don't improve the neighborhood!

Why hasn't the City made efforts to eliminate ownership of non-essential venues in the City? Turn over management/ownership of the DIA, Detroit Zoo and other places to private interested parties? How about Bell Isle? Not the gem it used to be due to budget cuts. Sell anything to get the income and get out from under the financial liability. City Council didn't want to give up any of its jewels.

Advise businesses they no longer get the tax abatements they were awarded to establish business in the City. Tell them, "So sorry, but we can no longer afford it". The State did this to the Promise Scholarship students......we cannot afford it any longer. If our kids had to suck it up at such a young age, businesses can take the hit.

Anyone using the auto companies as a model for success for the City is a fool. Drastic cuts were made, employees were given early buyouts (and hired back doing the same job as contract employees-sweet) New employees were sold out to ensure the wages of current employees. The only success was the bottom line of the Big 3.

This has been in the making for the last 35 years..........last person to leave the City please remember to turn out the lights.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Keep trying to blame the other party. Most sane people know otherwise.
I'm not sure what you mean there.

It is a undisputed fact the the lifting of the residency requirement by Engler significantly hurt Detroit. With this measure, Detroit lost thousands of taxpayers (not to mention thousands of people who maintained properties in their respective neighborhoods), and DPS lost hundreds of students who received state/federal funding. Detroit's population had began to level off prior to it being lifted in 1998,

Firefighters and police officers used to populate the area in the city I live in through the late 1990s. It was one of the nicest areas in the city, solidly middle class. Now, 15 years later, you can drive up tons of blocks with nothing but burnt out shells. It is also the poorest area in the city.

And although the most paralyzing, that wasn't the only thing Engler did during his tenure to hurt Detroit...

*He approved state oversight over DPS, despite the fact that it had a budget surplus at the time.
*He abolished Detroit's perfectly run traffic court (Recorder's court) for no good reason.
*He repealed a Regional Transit Authority bill that was managed to pass through the legislature for no good reason (until this year, Detroit was the only major city in the US without an RTA, thus the god awful transit infrastructure). I may not agree with a lot of things Snyder has done, but he did get it right with the RTA.
*He hoodwinked Detroit into an agreement that the state reneged on due to the legal loophole (see the hoopla over the $225 Million Dollars in revenue sharing dollars the state of Michigan agreed to pay Detroit for gradually lowering its income tax rate from 3% to 2% but has decided not to, even though Detroit as of this year still must continue lowering its income tax rate to the agreed-upon 2% thus losing additional tax revenue), granted I also blame Archer's weak leadership for that.

Needless to say, Engler was and still is a dick. I don't care if he's a Republican, Democrat or a Martian. While Detroit's leaders and workers rightfully deserve some blame, those such as Engler at the state level who made decisions such as the aforementioned deserve some blame as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I thought you Detroit folks held that proud, at one time anyway?
Are you referring to 8 Mile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit