Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

Now, having never been there (cept through the airport when i was a kid. dont think that counts) but having read alot, seems like Detroit is a city due for a turn around

I was thinking (and this would take someone with money to implement)...

The future of agriculture seems like it will be vertical farming
The Vertical Farm Project - Agriculture for the 21st Century and Beyond | www.verticalfarm.com

with all that free space in Detroit, why not build massive farms, 40-50-100 stories tall, and give the citizens of Detroit jobs working in them? they probably wouldnt get paid all that much, but if free housing were provided, with electricity and some of the food, would they need alot of money?

Clearly this is just dreaming big, but could it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM

283 posts, read 370,105 times
First, who's going to pay for the hugely expensive structures and second, what if the residents of Detroit won't want those jobs? Would we have to ask Mexico for shiploads of immigrants to do them, while the Detroit residents stare at the buildings?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
First, who's going to pay for the hugely expensive structures and second, what if the residents of Detroit won't want those jobs? Would we have to ask Mexico for shiploads of immigrants to do them, while the Detroit residents stare at the buildings?
i agree

not sure if i would want the job either, but not working at the moment, i would probably be up for it.

and as for building, it would only work if someone thought it would turn a profit (or if they were very altruistic, break even). Maybe UM could fund one as an experiment? A working living lab.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
Why can't you explain this all-too-common "opinion" heard in RW media? Your basic "message" is that lazy Detroit residents don't want jobs?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Sigh...........

I never gave any thought to the "lazy" part until you brought it up.

That said, a lot of Americans are lazy, not just Detroiters. Until a couple of days ago, I never realized that being called lazy could be considered racist. I happened to stumble upon an explanation on 1200am and I realized just how naive I was (again! It happens all the time.)

So how else can we describe people who don't want work w/out using the word "lazy"? Lazy is the first word that comes to mind for most people. It's not like anyone's trying to be insensitive to other people's culture.

However, I think the question is legitimate. What if the people in the city aren't interested in that kind of work? It's not like people from the suburbs are going to come down and do urban farming. And a lot of people in rural areas are already doing farm work because they have no interest in being "citified."

It really isn't too hard to explain that a lot of Americans won't work for the low-wages that a lot employers in service/farming sector want to pay. So, Americans complain that they can't find good jobs and employers complain that they can't find workers. Again, that's not necessarily strictly a black problem. Lower income whites, blacks and others struggle in that same economic reality.

Have a good night.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Sigh...........

That said, a lot of Americans are lazy, not just Detroiters. Until a couple of days ago, I never realized that being called lazy could be considered racist. I happened to stumble upon an explanation on 1200am and I realized just how naive I was (again! It happens all the time.)
Have a good night.

Same here.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Sigh...........

So how else can we describe people who don't want work w/out using the word "lazy"? Lazy is the first word that comes to mind for most people. It's not like anyone's trying to be insensitive to other people's culture.

However, I think the question is legitimate. What if the people in the city aren't interested in that kind of work? It's not like people from the suburbs are going to come down and do urban farming. And a lot of people in rural areas are already doing farm work because they have no interest in being "citified."

It really isn't too hard to explain that a lot of Americans won't work for the low-wages that a lot employers in service/farming sector want to pay. So, Americans complain that they can't find good jobs and employers complain that they can't find workers. Again, that's not necessarily strictly a black problem. Lower income whites, blacks and others struggle in that same economic reality.

Have a good night.
Why wouldn't Detroiters want those jobs, and why would they necessarily be low-paying? Okay, I understand we can and must speculate.
Sorry about my interpretation, but I thought your wording sounded a lot like RW media "code" to its insider base - probably unintentional.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-06-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
These explanations of how Detroiters are lazy and wouldn't work low wage jobs clears up why businesses like Whole Foods and Meijer couldn't find enough willing workers, and thus they didn't bother to open. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

But in all seriousness, I think this could be a good idea. Who would pay for it? Who pays for any infrastructure dedicated to business? Answer: Investors who want to make money. I highly doubt this would be part of some overt pork barrel project from DC.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:40 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,558 times
C'mon you guys.

If there was any money in Urban Farming one of the enterprising CD posters would have created a REIT and tilled from Telegraph to The MacArthur Bridge by now. It's not happening. *pop*

Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
C'mon you guys.

If there was any money in Urban Farming one of the enterprising CD posters would have created a REIT and tilled from Telegraph to The MacArthur Bridge by now. It's not happening. *pop*
Jeez, what a great way to look at things - "if it hasn't been done already, it can't be, so why bother". An outlook very similar to that of a city council you have held in disdain.
Don't changes in outside conditions and attitudes, changing environments, need, creative vision, have something to do with possibilities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: