Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times

Advertisements

Last night, the Detroit Pistons clinched their first playoff birth since 2009. They will either be facing the Cleveland Lebrons or the "We the North" Toronto Raptors!

Credit: Detroit News

The Red Wings also clinched a playoff spot today, but they backed into the playoffs, losing their last 2 games and only getting in because Boston lost 2 of its last 3 games. The Wings will be playing the Tampa Bay Lightning (who is without their best player for the rest of the year), and the series will begin on Tuesday I believe.

The Tigers got spanked today by the Yankees, so they have started out 3-1. The starting pitching has been pretty good the first 3 games, until Pelfrey's poor start today. It's Verlander vs Tanaka tomorrow night on ESPN, hoping Verlander will shut down the Yankees like Jordan Zimmerman did on Friday.

Old logo from the 80's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
I've been paying alot of attention to the Pistons. Their a young team... still quite inconsistent. I'm very proud of them though. I feel sorry for Andre Drummond, he was pretty sad about his best friend dying and not being able to see him in his first playoff game. I hope this doesn't affect his performance in the playoffs. Either way I'm happy we got this far. I don't expect them to go to the finals this season but I can smell it coming pretty soon.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,236 times
The Tigers got off to a great start last year, too. A great start. Then they cratered and finished in last place. I just hope that they have a great finish this year.

Don't forget, the Detroit Lions' "Superbowl" is coming up here in a couple weeks.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,066,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
I feel sorry for Andre Drummond, he was pretty sad about his best friend dying and not being able to see him in his first playoff game.
...That's what he says. It doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe he feels badly about his free throw percentage and getting pulled out of games at often crucial times.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
...That's what he says. It doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe he feels badly about his free throw percentage and getting pulled out of games at often crucial times.
Andre needs to work on his free throws for sure, it hurts when he misses those shots but overall he's still a very valuable player for the Pistons not to mention an all star. Shaq and Dwight Howard (just to name a couple) sucked at the free throw line as well. But it makes alot of sense to me... losing someone close to you is never easy, now imagine during that same time period your a star player and your team is (was) fighting for a playoff spot. That has got to be pretty hard on him. He probably does feel bad about his recent performance as well but he's entitled to a couple of bad games imo. I'm sure SVG understands that... but he did what he had to do to make it to the playoffs, even if that means pulling out Andre... and I think (hope) Andre understands that as well. But overall he has been a very solid player this season and will only get better.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Andre needs to work on his free throws for sure, it hurts when he misses those shots but overall he's still a very valuable player for the Pistons not to mention an all star. Shaq and Dwight Howard (just to name a couple) sucked at the free throw line as well. But it makes alot of sense to me... losing someone close to you is never easy, now imagine during that same time period your a star player and your team is (was) fighting for a playoff spot. That has got to be pretty hard on him. He probably does feel bad about his recent performance as well but he's entitled to a couple of bad games imo. I'm sure SVG understands that... but he did what he had to do to make it to the playoffs, even if that means pulling out Andre... and I think (hope) Andre understands that as well. But overall he has been a very solid player this season and will only get better.
The "Hack-A-Drum" that Andre is experiencing is beginning to affect him in a negative way. It is messing with this head and getting him off of his game.

He needs to get better at the free throws, his 35% this year is an NBA-RECORD LOW!!!! He was 1 of 10 from the free-throw line a couple of games ago. Howard and O'Neal shot at about a 50% clip. I hope in the off-season Drummond gets a hold of an old NBA star named Rick Barry, who adopted the under-hand free throw shot and was very successful with it.

Quote:
The Tigers got off to a great start last year, too. A great start. Then they cratered and finished in last place. I just hope that they have a great finish this year.
You are correct, the Tigers started out 11-2 last year. If everyone stays relatively healthy, though, we should compete. Last year, Verlander, Sanchez, Cabrera, and Victor Martinez were injured much of the year.

Quote:
Don't forget, the Detroit Lions' "Superbowl" is coming up here in a couple weeks.
Ah yes, the NFL Draft. I was thinking about going to the Detroit Lions "Superbowl" since it's in Chicago this year. On a serious note, now that the Lions have a new GM (from the Patriots), I think we are going to see a much better product on the field - but to tell you the truth, the Lion's free agent signings this year have been underwhelming.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,453 times
Hard to see the Pistons or the Wings doing much of anything this spring, but always nice to have an extra few weeks of winter sports before we get down to the long, drawn out baseball season.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Verlander struggled mightily yesterday, giving up 10 hits and walking 2 batters - yes, he allowed 12 baserunners in 4 1/3 innings.

Fortunately, Sanchez played well, and J.D. Martinez, Victor Martinez, and Justin Upton starred today.

Concerning the Pistons, they are in the 8th spot right now, so they will play the Cavaliers unless they win their last 2 and the Indiana Pacers lose on of their last 2 games.

Red Wings/Lightning start tomorrow

Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Verlander struggled mightily yesterday, giving up 10 hits and walking 2 batters - yes, he allowed 12 baserunners in 4 1/3 innings.

Fortunately, Sanchez played well, and J.D. Martinez, Victor Martinez, and Justin Upton starred today.

Concerning the Pistons, they are in the 8th spot right now, so they will play the Cavaliers unless they win their last 2 and the Indiana Pacers lose on of their last 2 games.

Red Wings/Lightning start tomorrow
They just lost to the heat. But Pistons is a young team, seeing the playoffs with this new squad is a plus for me. They need to get a taste of that so they can strive for more for seasons to come. BTW the NBA will probably not allow Detroit to take out the Lebron Cavaliers.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM

19 posts, read 35,337 times
One again, why the empty seats at the Joe for Game 3 vs Tampa?

All the other games I'm watching today don't seem to have empty seats...WTF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit