Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times

Advertisements

I'm not a social butterfly, but I do enjoy meeting people and hanging out from time to time. After being away for five years, moving back here has been like moving to a new area entirely. Sure, I have family and a few friends here, but I'm interested in branching out and meeting new people. I have lost interest in the friends I have here (we don't have much in common anymore) and my family isn't the most socially active either.

Here's what I've noticed about Metro Detroit as far as the social scene goes. People do definitely go out, I am not here to argue that they don't. All it takes is for one to visit places like Ferndale, Royal Oak, or Birmingham on a Saturday night to see this. However, it is not the easiest thing, at least to some of us, to inject yourself into another group of people you meet at a bar. There needs to be an environment where everybody is on the same page, where the expectation is that you've come together to meet these other people. So, I've been checking out sites like Meetup.com. I had a lot of success with that site when I was living in Denver. Not to say that Metro Detroit has nothing going on, but there are very few Meetup groups relative to other places I've been to. The few Meetup groups I've taken a shot at here usually consist of 40+ year old single people trying to get back out there.

So where are all the young people at that want to meet up with new people? I realize that what made the social scene in Denver more unique is because it's a city that attracts people from around the country, so there are a lot of transients there looking to build new relationships near their new home. I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me. So is this socially reclusive behavior a Midwest/Detroit thing? Are people more reserved here?

Honestly, this is less a critique of the area than it is a request for help. I would really like to know where I can find younger people in the area that are open to embracing someone new into their group. I would like to have friends here if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
After 5 Detroit is probably your best bet. They have calendars of events every night of the week and many of them are mix/mingle type. Very popular in the past two years with the booming 20 something population working Downtown and living in Midtown/Ferndale/Royal Oak. After 5 :: Home

As you get older - it takes more an more effort on your part to meet people. For example, in college - it's very easy to make friends with your roommates/classmates. After college, people tend to start going out with their coworkers, while maintaining their college friends etc.

There are all kinds of groups that meet up for ultimate frisbee, kickball, golf, bowling that's a nonthreatening way to meet people. Church small groups/community groups are another avenue. Getting involved with anything civic related has it's Young Professional Group (For example, the DIA had their Young Professionals Fashion Show fundraiser last night). Attend something in the city (e.g. Detroit Soup, Kiva Soup), hang out anywhere.

It all comes down to you. He who has friends, must show himself friendly. It's an old proverb. Don't sit around expecting people to be friends with you/feel sorry for you, be the friendly guy and introduce yourself/make friends. It would be creepy/narcisstic to expect a girl to talk to you just because you smiled at her on the street. A smile back, sure, maybe she was having a bad day. You still did the right thing by smiling.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Biking clubs seem to be oriented toward young singles. Have you looked into any of them in your area? I know of some couples who met at these clubs and gained lasting friendships as well.
There are also the meetinggroups or groupmeets online (someone help me out here) with various purposes and themes. Most also seem to be geared for singles.
Best wishes to you! It can be difficult to start over, but you can have a lot of fun while exploring.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM

Found it-
Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup

Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
------------------ So, I've been checking out sites like Meetup.com. I had a lot of success with that site when I was living in Denver. Not to say that Metro Detroit has nothing going on, but there are very few Meetup groups relative to other places I've been to. The few Meetup groups I've taken a shot at here usually consist of 40+ year old single people trying to get back out there.

So where are all the young people at that want to meet up with new people? I realize that what made the social scene in Denver more unique is because it's a city that attracts people from around the country, so there are a lot of transients there looking to build new relationships near their new home. I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me. So is this socially reclusive behavior a Midwest/Detroit thing? Are people more reserved here?---------------
** Instead of social sites, wouldn't groups or clubs with common interests be better?
** Hope you're not judging an entire city by a single (or even more) chance encounter. No it's not a regional thing.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post

OOPS! Sorry (blush).

But seriously, how about the biking groups?

Yeah, people are more reserved here compared to where I`m from.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 AM

389 posts, read 469,900 times
Gotta meet people face to face, even in my small town or in Ann Arbor you do that, if it's face to face just talk about some bs opening topic like what's your name/where is such and such idk. Go to a bar alone or with one good friend. I recently went to Chicago and NYC alone(met people everyday that showed me the cities) if you're open to meeting new people just relax and it'll happen.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
** Instead of social sites, wouldn't groups or clubs with common interests be better?
** Hope you're not judging an entire city by a single (or even more) chance encounter. No it's not a regional thing.
Do you know anything about Meetup.com? It's not only a social site. It's a site where groups and clubs with commons interests post their events. That's the site I've used in the past and it's the site I use now. It has worked great in the past, but here, in Metro Detroit, it does not appear to be as active amongst my demographic.

I'm not judging anything. I've only explained that my current experiences here, in Metro Detroit, thus far differ greatly from my experiences in another prominent hub for young people, Denver. People there seem to be very open to meeting new people because many of them are transients from other places. The people in Metro Detroit do not see as open in my experience so far.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
OOPS! Sorry (blush).

But seriously, how about the biking groups?

Yeah, people are more reserved here compared to where I`m from.
Yeah, I'll definitely see if I can find some of those biking groups. I'm an avid cyclist, so that'd be right up my alley.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
. I was walking home last night and smiled at a young female passerby. In Denver, the likely response would have been a smile back. This person immediately looked down and walked right past me.

You had brocolli stuck in your teeth. She was looking down to help her control her laughter. She walked right past to get away a bit before she burst out laughing and called her friends to tell them about it. At least she did not giggle and take your picture.

An no, this is not California. You cannot smile at a gal and she climbs into bed with you. In fact, if you are grinning at some gal you have never met, she is likely to think you are a creeper. Meet them first, then smile at them.

Before you do that, practice smiling into a mirror. Make sure your smile is friendly and genuine looking, not forced. A leering grin is not going to get a positive response.

Also brush your teeth before smiling around and try not to drool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit