Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Al Jazeera America launched on cable TV and so, out of curiosity, I put in on that channel when I got home until I went to bed - just to have an informed opinion of it. Surprisngly, they did a really impressive nationwide investigative piece on Detroit (Veronika Scott, the Center for Creative Studies standout who created a sleeping bag that converts into a coat for the homeless) and then empowers/employs the homeless women to work in the factory, enabling them to reach productive status (i.e. living in apartments and no longer on the street).

And, the "softest" story of the bunch, a rare moment of optimism in Detroit, where an entrepreneurial young woman has parlayed a design-class project into a small factory employing the formerly homeless to make coats for the homeless. Al Jazeera America: the news channel Americans deserve | Ana Marie Cox | Comment is free | theguardian.com

I was admittedly impressed with the segment - it spun Detroit in such a good light - but I can't find a link to the report on Al Jazeera's website.

Anyone else catch it last night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I thought it was a joke when hey announced it on the radio. However ti makes sense for them to have good news. The best way to make propaganda work is to hide it amongst truths and really good information. Propaganda does nto work when it is easily identified as propaganda. It must be subtle and unnoticeably direct your opinions and thoughts through half truths and near truths mixed together with obvious truths and things of good value. That is the way propaganda works.

So I am all for watching, learning and enjoying this new news source, but I will also be aware of the need to be vigilant and watch for the BS propaganda.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 PM

544 posts, read 901,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

So I am all for watching, learning and enjoying this new news source, but I will also be aware of the need to be vigilant and watch for the BS propaganda.
The same could be said about the existing news sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: