Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 21,634 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Detroit. He needs to be Near Wixom because he will be working Wixom AND Detroit. We also have Family in Midland and need to make sure we arent anymore than 2 1/2 hours from Midland. No more than 40 minutes from one or the other (Detroit or Wixom or both) Would like to be closer to Detroit area because 4 days a week he will be working there.
We have 5 dogs. Yes 5.... 3 of them are under 5 pounds, 1 of them is 8 pounds and one is a Senior Doberman. (We have had no problem finding houses to allow them, its areas I am worried about)
I do understand we may be over the limit for dogs in some areas, they dont cause problems and are not really noisy, so I am not too worried about someone saying something.
We have to find a place that is safe to walk the neighborhood, quiet, maybe with some land? We are willing to put a fence up anywhere we go if it isnt already fenced.
We need a SAFE neighborhood, I dont know where to look..I started looking in Hazel Park, we actually liked it, but then I saw people were saying it isnt family friendly/safe. Any help is Very Appreciated. We dont care about size of the house or anything like that (We could be in a neighborhood of tiny houses if its safe) I would love to find some country land near detroit. Our price range is not very high Max 750 per month...
I would love to hear some nice areas I can look for houses! I have been searching Craigslist and its full of scams, anywhere else I could look inline for places for rent?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
I"ve been away, but I would look into the Farmington area first.
Northern suburbs east of Troy beyond 10 mile, (for maximum safety) less expensive, and 696 is a handy drive.
Northville, Plymouth, north Woodward corridor probably too expensive.
Sorry I can only speak of general areas.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
$ 750 might not get you a place in Farmington, Troy or much anywhere? With 5 dogs I would think you want a nice yard, at least 1/2 acre?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 23,323 times
Why not look IN Wixom? It's pretty rural still, and probably as inexpensive as anywhere. I live about 1 mile from their city limits. Honestly, $750 a month doesn't buy much, and rents less. Most 3 bedroom one bath ranch house 1200 or so sq ft rent for $1200 or more a month.......

Feel free to message me directly if you like - joeblow81@twmi.rr.com if I can be of any more help. I might have a few suggestions for you.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM

We dont need a large place, we are looking for something small 1-2 bedroom. We would like a garage but we dont have to have one. We want a nice yard but it doesnt have to be large because 4 of our dogs are tiny!

How about Redford, Livonia, Roseville, Taylor, Hazel Park, Ferndale?

I have found homes we like in Redford - Roseville - Hazel Park - and Ferndale.

Thanks For All The Help!!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Wixom is VERY expensive. We couldnt find anywhere that we could afford. Nothing under $1100 per month in Wixom!!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiedoll19 View Post
We dont need a large place, we are looking for something small 1-2 bedroom. We would like a garage but we dont have to have one. We want a nice yard but it doesnt have to be large because 4 of our dogs are tiny!

What side of Redford? I would want to be South of 6 mile--West of Telegraph.

Hazel Park has a FEW good places..Depending on what side of Ferndale. The south side bordering Detroit can be scary.

Taylor-tucky has two areas I would seriously think about avoiding--the southwest corner and the northwest corner. The NW is better than the SW. Otherwise Taylor can be OK if you aren't relying on the schools...

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Maybe South Lyon

Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiedoll19 View Post

Have you checked with those cities regarding how many dogs are allowed per household? 5 dogs are a lot even if they are small.
From the cities you mentioned I'm only familiar with Roseville and Ferndale, I don't se why you would not feel safe taking a walk in any of the residential neigborhoods. Have you personally been there? Before commiting to anything drive through the area during the day and during the night to get a feel. Typically if I see kids on the street running their bikes or people jogging, couples walking pushing a stroller or walking their dogs is a good sign.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Most of the places have a 3 pet law. We are keeping our current rental also so this will be kind of a second place and I am not worried about that. We are going to license 3 in the new city and keep two licensed to our old place, for all they know they visit a lot, the city cant tell me I cant have "my moms dogs" at my house a couple days a week, they arent going to follow me around or anything and my dogs are strictly outside to go to the bathroom and back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit