Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM

70 posts, read 132,443 times

Advertisements

My brother-in-law will be moving here from Idaho shortly to finish up medical school at Oakland University. He is married with 4 kids, ranging from 2-8 years of age.

They have found a few good places to live in Auburn Hills but I told them the Avondale school district might not be the best since they share the school with Pontiac? Or at least not as good as the acclaimed Rochester school district.

Since I don't have school aged kids I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Schools in Avondale School District - Auburn Hills, MI | GreatSchools

This site has reviews that people give about the schools.

It isn't rated as high as Rochester, but the kids come Auburn Hills/Pontiac/North Troy and South Rochester. It's really an odd school district makeup.

Also, they could shop around for a different district because of school choice laws. There are also tons of private/parochial schools around that are well-liked in the area. It really depends on what his family is looking for.

Most the parents I know aren't in the Avondale school system, so I can't really give you much feedback on that. I'd hate to give you an impression based on one family's experience.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,155 times
I know this post is old and perhaps your relative has already settled but just to add a note; Pontiac is not one of the schools that is in the District. The cities that are encompassed in this school district are: Auburn Hills/Bloomfield Hills/Troy and Rochester Hills. There are only certain parameters of these cities in which the district encompasses.

Avondale is a school of choice district for Kindergarten only; no other grades.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Yeah, it's the other way around- portions of Auburn Hills are burdened with Pontiac schools.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:11 AM

35 posts, read 101,168 times
Be aware that a portion of Auburn Hills near I75 and Walton has Pontiac schools. I have known many wonderful people to graduate from Pontiac schools and I mean no insult to the students or teachers working hard to do their best with what they have, but Pontiac schools have a lot of issues. Their interim superintendent was recently indicted for stealing 250,000 dollars from the district and sadly the students and teachers have suffered.

Avondale schools are decent. Their test scores (according to greatschools) are decent and the district is not struggling financially (any more than any Michigan school district.) However, I can offer some insight. Avondale schools have a high transient population due to the very large amount of apartment complexes in the district. The district is also smaller and might not offer as many magnet and supplementary programs as a larger school district.

Overall, Avondale would be an acceptable choice for most families, but within a few miles, you also have the Rochester school district that I have known many families to be more than satisfied with. If you can find comparable homes in the Rochester and Avondale school districts, I would choose Rochester.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,153 times
As a student of Avondale School, I know that my school district is able to educate anyone. Yes it takes on an "odd school district makeup." but what many people don't know that it is a special place. The "odd makeup" is what makes Avondale special. We have such a diverse student population, compared to any district near by. The diversity shows students more learning opportunities than the test scores show. The district is also starting to partner up with Oakland University to enhance their own students education and open Oakland University's eyes. There have been numerous articles including the Oakland Press covering the partnership.
All in all education no matter what district depends on what the individual puts into it.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
I've heard horror stories from the parents of special needs kids in Avondale about the admin/teachers and trying to get services for their kids.

In Rochester, I don't have to be a ****** to get the attention teachers/administrative staff to discuss issues going on with my kid. Whenever there's a staff change, I hear about it. I don't have to worry about teachers making fun of my kid because he's different.

Yes, the district is "special". All school districts are "special" to someone. However, I've never had the same problems as the Avondale parents have mentioned to me.

That kind of stuff matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit