Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times

Advertisements

^^ You are correct in your thinking, but the sides are not equal. The charges of "liberal" are virtually always the first to come out no matter the thread or topic. So how does one respond without using the term "conservative"? We just ignore them?
In my posts I often point out that the great "liberal/conservative" divide does not really exist but is an invention of the ubiquitous politically-driven RW media - so how do we keep it unpolitical?

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-03-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I feel a group hug coming on! Anyone with me? Kumbaya, my lord. . . kumbaya!

I love you all!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
^^ You are correct in your thinking, but the sides are not equal. The charges of "liberal" are virtually always the first to come out no matter the thread or topic. So how does one respond without using the term "conservative"? We just ignore them?
In my posts I often point out that the great "liberal/conservative" divide does not really exist but is an invention of the ubiquitous politically-driven RW media - so how do we cope?

Here we go...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Here we go...
This contributes nothing. I would like to know what the moderators think.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
In my posts I often point out that the great "liberal/conservative" divide does not really exist but is an invention of the ubiquitous politically-driven RW media - so how do we cope?
Best way not to instigate is to just leave the generalized political bashing out of your commentary altogether. If you want to critique a particular bad policy or political figure, I'm all for it. But the generalized claims about specific political parties or philosophies needs to stop IMO. It does nothing to elevate the debate; it does everything to detract a discussion and spur a bunch of different tangents that are unrelated to the OP.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Best way not to instigate is to just leave the generalized political bashing out of your commentary altogether. If you want to critique a particular bad policy or political figure, I'm all for it. But the generalized claims about specific political parties or philosophies needs to stop IMO. It does nothing to elevate the debate; it does everything to detract a discussion and spur a bunch of different tangents that are unrelated to the OP.
So you are saying I instigate it? I am not merely responding?
Here's an idea, go to any new thread and wait for the first mention of the terms "liberal" or "conservative" - just notice which comes up first in a negative light. Try to get politics out of any discussion.
The Detroit forums always devolve to race issues - just take note of who is the first to reference it directly or by innuendo - this is instigating. And yeah, let's be done with it.
Sorry, but I only respond in kind. Take notice of who continually chastises anyone who dares say nice or constructive things about Detroit. They have an agenda, and they keep themselves in the game with carefully-designed rhetoric.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-03-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
So you are saying I instigate it? I am not merely responding?
Here's an idea, go to any new thread and wait for the first mention of the terms "liberal" or "conservative", "republican" or "democrat" - just notice which comes up first. Try to get politics out of any discussion. The Detroit forums always devolve to race issues - just take note of who is the first to reference it directly or by innuendo. And yeah, let's be done with it.
Sorry, but I only respond in kind.
You need to take a step back and actually think about what I'm saying. No, I'm not pinpointing you specifically. I'm addressing anyone who is reading my post. You're like Retroit, if not his exact counter; you're clearly a smart guy, your posts can be very insightful, but you often times inject political bias in your statements. Not saying there aren't those who fit a stereotype perfectly, but it's unfair to all of those folks who don't when you classify them the same way.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
I will admit to injecting race into many discussions about Detroit. I do not apologize for it either. I do not feel that you can be honest about how Detroit, or even America as a whole, evolved without discussing the issue of race. Everything evolved into what it is today and race has been paramount through American history. Racism has had consequences. Actions produce reactions and the acts of racism are not exempt from that....as many problems are, in large degree, the consequence of racism.

I believe in presenting explanations for observations. So when people observe the poor condition and state of Detroit......I seek to explain it through history.....because the past created the present. That history was replete with racism....and not offsetting racism..or equal racism from both sides that canceled out the impact upon either side. That racism did create resentment....however.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I feel a group hug coming on! Anyone with me? Kumbaya, my lord. . . kumbaya!

I love you all!

Just like BARNEY---

I LOVE YOU

YOU LOVE ME

WHY CAN'T WE BE

ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY..

Even Haley Joel Osment's character in SIXTH SENSE had trouble because he saw dead people everywhere he went.
Sooner or later we need to stop seeing "US" and "THEM" and focus on WE the people if we are serious about overcoming oppression, discrimination and other -ism(s).

Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
You need to take a step back and actually think about what I'm saying. No, I'm not pinpointing you specifically. I'm addressing anyone who is reading my post. You're like Retroit, if not his exact counter; you're clearly a smart guy, your posts can be very insightful, but you often times inject political bias in your statements. Not saying there aren't those who fit a stereotype perfectly, but it's unfair to all of those folks who don't when you classify them the same way.
Exactly right, but I don't instigate, I respond. If you follow my posts, you know that when I am positive about Detroit or other things, I get beaten up along with others who do the same.
A few bash Detroit and its citizens in the name of "reality", but in fact they just have a personal axe to grind. This become obvious after a number of posts, and consciously I take the opposing view of such people. It's not easy to take the politics out of a discussion when political decisions are responsible for a topic - like the situation in Detroit for instance. I experienced all the hard times in the darkest political climate, but I am not left with a grudge or an axe to grind.
I am interested in the well-being of Detroit, not rooting for its demise.
Your replies are generally valuable, and thanks for them. Maybe it's good to hash this stuff out. There are posters of real value and positiveness on these threads, and I know who they are - but I don't think much of the very few others, and I guess it shows.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-03-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: