Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

I noticed while looking at demographics of Detroit schools that I noticed that Chadsey High actually had a decent white student population. It also had a decent Hispanic student population too. This leads me to believe that this school is on the Southwest side of the city. Is that correct? Also, are the Whites students actually from a high Arab population there or is it a mix of White students? I think the percentage of white students by the way was 16% percent out of 796 students:Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Chadsey High School (http://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch/school_detail.asp?Search=1&DistrictID=2612000&Scho olPageNum=3&ID=261200004672 - broken link)

How is this area of Detroit in comparison to the rest of the city?

A couple of other schools with some or a sprinkle of other groups there are:Northern High, Pershing, Osborn(both with small but noticable Asian student populations and a sprinkle of Whites over 1%-3%), Renaissance(about 2% White), Southwestern(about 12-13% White and 25% Hispanic) and Western International High(predominately Hispanic at 58% and just over 10% White). It seems like the rest of the schools are pretty much Black with specks of other groups, with maybe the exception of Murray-Wright and Cody being just over 1% White. You can get the info. from the site above to see for yourself.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-02-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
I have been inside Chadsey High School, but my high school football team, Southfield High School, did play them in 1994 or 1995, and I remember that they starting quarterback was hispanic.

Chadsey high school is in southwest Detroit. It is located within a neighborhood that has a relatively large hispanic population. Also, there are a larger percentage of white folks who live in Southwest Detroit, than in most other parts of the city, so I would guess that Chadsey High School has a relatively higher white population than other Detroit high schools.

I am saddened that only 796 students attend that school, since it is GIGANTIC. This school was originally slated to be closed down last year, but it survived (unlike MacKenzie High). But with the GIGANTIC budget deficit and the dropping enrolling that the school board is facing, this school might not be open much longer.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times
Realize this is ancient, but of interest. Yes I would guess that the white population of Chadsey, which is also one of the whitest neighborhoods in the city, is largely if not overwhelmingly Arabic.

Someone should make a documentary on all of the white stragglers left behind by white flight. LOL. Every neighborhood seems to have at least a few hundred.

Old people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: