Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 01:36 PM

53 posts, read 85,603 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the DMA and the following questions are going to sound really naïve and amateurish but I feel like I need to ask them anyways.

1) I have to go into the city next week to attend a conference in downtown on Washington & Jefferson Aves near the Riverfront(i.e. around the Cobo Center, the MGM Grand etc.). I can assume this area is safe at all times of the day(and night) correct?

I ask since I'll be in the area from mid-morning in the evening to attend a reception after my conference.

2) I'll be attending this conference in downtown during the middle of the work week. Just how bad is traffic in downtown Detroit M-F? I figure it can't be anywhere near as bad as Washington DC where I come from.

3) How available is parking in downtown Detroit during the work week? How much does it cost? Is it safe to park anywhere in downtown?

4) alternatively could I use public transportation to get to downtown instead of driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Use public transit... public transit definitely goes downtown. Since I don't drive and don't live there yet, I can't tell you how bad traffic is... but public transit would be easy and less of a headache. Using the bus is easy too (and not too expensive).

Old 07-13-2014, 02:31 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
LOL. Public transit?!

Yeah it's safe. If you're from DC you should get it. Saying "always safe, all the time" may be a little strong, but it's probably about the same as the downtown of other big cities.

I haven't driven in rush hour there in a long time so can't speak to that.

Oh, the reason I laugh about public transit...no one in metro Detroit takes public transit unless you absolutely have to.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
1) Pretty much. Similar if not safer than most downtowns of big cities. There's a lot of private security around the downtown area because of Dan Gilbert and other companies.

2) Definitely not as bad as DC, or bad at all really. Most traffic jams are around I-94 depending on which direction you're coming from. Even still, it's pretty tame compared to other cities.

3) Parking is usually cheaper the farther away from the waterfront you are. Most garages have a max rate of $10. Parking on the street or a lot is okay although like any downtown, break-ins are still possible if your car is in a hidden enough area.

4) Most of the buses go to Rosa Parks Transit center which is about 6 blocks north of Washington and Jefferson. It ought to be an easy walk. However, the commute might be lengthier than if you drove by car. You'd likely have to make a transfer from DDOT to SMART at the city limits if you're commuting back home after peak hours or if you commuting vice versa into the city after 9 AM. The transfers would take up most of your commute time.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad23 View Post
I just moved to the DMA and the following questions are going to sound really naïve and amateurish but I feel like I need to ask them anyways.

1) I have to go into the city next week to attend a conference in downtown on Washington & Jefferson Aves near the Riverfront(i.e. around the Cobo Center, the MGM Grand etc.). I can assume this area is safe at all times of the day(and night) correct?
Yes, you will be fine in that area. The safety is pretty average for most downtown big cities.

I ask since I'll be in the area from mid-morning in the evening to attend a reception after my conference.

2) I'll be attending this conference in downtown during the middle of the work week. Just how bad is traffic in downtown Detroit M-F? I figure it can't be anywhere near as bad as Washington DC where I come from.
I doubt it's worse than DC, traffic is usually ok outside of rush hour and major events. They designed the roads and freeways to get in and out of downtown easily from all directions. There are freeways coming from 6 directions (with only one merging freeway) and 6 main corridor surface roads into downtown Detroit.

3) How available is parking in downtown Detroit during the work week? How much does it cost? Is it safe to park anywhere in downtown?
Usually anywhere between $5 and $15 in my experience. If you want free parking you could find a place to park over by the Fisher freeway (I-75). On the side of the roads there are no parking meters. Be warned, it is for a reason, it's alot of parking lots around there and that's about it, it's not a heavy traveled area at all but you could walk to the Rosa Parks Transit Center and take the people mover.

Other than that, if you plan on paying for parking then you might as well find a garage or parking lot closest to where you will be. And please lock your doors and don't leave valuables in plain sight.

4) alternatively could I use public transportation to get to downtown instead of driving?
If you plan on leaving downtown at night then I wouldn't recommend it unless you live in the city or very close to it because I honestly have no idea when the bus services stop running for the suburbs.
If you live in the suburbs then I wouldn't do it unless you want to save money, have alot of time on your hands, and plan your trips and leave early enough to catch the last us back home.

If you are thinking about it then this might help you:
http://www.smartbus.org/SiteCollecti...stem%20Map.pdf
http://www.smartbus.org/SiteCollecti...town%20Map.pdf
My comments are in BLUE.
Quote:
Most traffic jams are around I-94
Really? I found I-94 to be average to me. I-696 and I-75 are much worse imo.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
I-94 hands down near downtown (well sorta near downtown) Is the worst traffic at rush hour!it doesn't move half the time. Especially the interchanges. With 96 or 75 or the lodge.

696 can deff get messy but that is no where near downtown.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
1) Perfectly safe
2) Traffic won't be an issue - just give yourself extra time
3) Parking runs the gamut from free parking in Corktown to Cobo roof to $10 lots to $20 parking garages, all dependent on how far you want to walk.
4) You can park almost anywhere along the People Mover route for free and then hop on the train for 75 cents which will drop you off right at Cobo.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
My comments are in BLUE.

Really? I found I-94 to be average to me. I-696 and I-75 are much worse imo.
In the context of OP's questions, I just meant the downtown area. But yea the 696 and 75 interchange can get pretty bad if he's coming from that direction.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
In the context of OP's questions, I just meant the downtown area. But yea the 696 and 75 interchange can get pretty bad if he's coming from that direction.
Oh I get it, sorry I thought you meant in general at first .

Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,557 times
1) Yes, the core downtown area, including the areas you mentioned, is very safe.

Project Lighthouse
The Detroit Police Department and more than 30 businesses in the Central Business District have partnered together to launch this program to provide shelter, aid, safety, information and potential lodging for those in temporary need of assistance. Each participating business, known as a Lighthouse, has security personnel available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist those in need. With a simple phone call to 313-471-6490, help will http://downtowndetroit.org/do-busine...ct-lighthouse/

2) Your meeting is mid morning, so you shouldnt have any issues with traffic. However, in general traffic is typical of any urban area, but NOT nearly as bad as Washington D.C. IMHO.
Listen to AM 950 since they feature the traffic updates on the 8's. Many GPS's offer good real time travel arrival time.
Do a test drive before, so you know where you're going. Or, leave early, and go get coffee/breakfast somewhere near your meeting. Zoom Coney, and Gateway Deli are near Washington/Congress and Fort Street are options.

Municipal parking lots are your best bet. Here are a few resources that list publicly available parking lots, parking garages and additional information about on-street parking. Some even provide online apps to help get you parked and on your way as quick as possible
Parkopedia — Detroit
Bestparking — Detroit
Featured parking companies

Personally, I wouldn't take public transportation. This is the Motor City and we LOVE to drive everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: