Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

It's a city of paradoxes.

With all of the abandoned buildings, blight, and random lack of services, Detroit is dysfunctional in many ways compared to what most people are used to. But even so, Detroit is totally functional within that framework.

For as "dangerous" as Detroit is, it doesn't seem very hardcore, and people seem friendlier than average. It seems though that honor culture is strong here, so if you mess with the wrong person the wrong way, there will be consequences. But for the most part, the only people that will mess with you on average are the criminals.

Detroit is fascinating in many ways when you look around. It's got an eclectic, weird vibe, almost like there's nothing stopping you from pursuing your dreams here. Yet, in many ways, it's kind of uninteresting. Like you go about your day and it's pretty similar to the day before.

The city also seems more laid back than most cities of its size. Formality and status don't really matter too much here. It's kind of cool for somebody who wants the amenities of a large city but doesn't want the craziness along with it.

All in all, I think I've liked living in Detroit, even from the protected confines of Midtown. I've spent a fair amount of time in other areas (particularly Mexicantown) during my time here as well. I'm not here for much longer, but I wouldn't mind returning if I could find somewhere decent, affordable, and not have to pay sky high car insurance rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
This is actually a pretty good assessment I would say.

Detroit-proper and even Metro Detroit is a strange dicotomy of elements.

On one hand there are elements that are as bad as its made out to be, on the other hand it is still functioning and nice as things can be.

The best rule in regards to the criminal element is stay away from the drugs, sex, and guns trades and you should be able to avoid the most serious elements. The rest is street crime, where you need to maintain your senses and smarts and not put yourself in a bad situation by yourself.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 AM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's a city of paradoxes.

With all of the abandoned buildings, blight, and random lack of services, Detroit is dysfunctional in many ways compared to what most people are used to. But even so, Detroit is totally functional within that framework.

For as "dangerous" as Detroit is, it doesn't seem very hardcore, and people seem friendlier than average. It seems though that honor culture is strong here, so if you mess with the wrong person the wrong way, there will be consequences. But for the most part, the only people that will mess with you on average are the criminals.

Detroit is fascinating in many ways when you look around. It's got an eclectic, weird vibe, almost like there's nothing stopping you from pursuing your dreams here. Yet, in many ways, it's kind of uninteresting. Like you go about your day and it's pretty similar to the day before.

The city also seems more laid back than most cities of its size. Formality and status don't really matter too much here. It's kind of cool for somebody who wants the amenities of a large city but doesn't want the craziness along with it.

All in all, I think I've liked living in Detroit, even from the protected confines of Midtown. I've spent a fair amount of time in other areas (particularly Mexicantown) during my time here as well. I'm not here for much longer, but I wouldn't mind returning if I could find somewhere decent, affordable, and not have to pay sky high car insurance rates.
Good post. Thank you!

And about the car insurance borrow a buddys address that lives in near by city with lower rates

Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Your unbiased opinions are quite refreshing. Thanks for an honest view. Where are you from anyway?

I find it impossible to try to describe Detroit (city and metro) in a sentence because it can get so different so fast. Ask 5 people what life is like in Detroit and you might get 5 different answers lol. It's usually a love/hate relationship depending on experiences, surroundings, the kind of company you keep, ect.

Nice of you to get out into some other neighborhoods outside of the downtown area.

Overall, I agree with your assessment, especially on the car insurance. How do they expect younger people to move there without better public transit as high as car insurance is for young folks already.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 AM

Car insurance in the entire state if Michigan is terrible, let alone Detroit which just adds insult to injury there.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
I agree. Detroit is not too bad in the grand scheme.

One thing I had wished when I lived in the area was that Detroit had a better social experience for those in their 20s/30s. I found it relatively difficult to meet new people there as opposed to other large cities with more transient populations.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:09 PM

211 posts, read 299,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I agree. Detroit is not too bad in the grand scheme.

One thing I had wished when I lived in the area was that Detroit had a better social experience for those in their 20s/30s. I found it relatively difficult to meet new people there as opposed to other large cities with more transient populations.
I agree. The few friends I have here from other cities say the same exact thing. Since there are fewer people who come here without ties, it is relatively harder as compared to other cities to meet new people.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM

I'm from here, left for about 5 years, and I can't meet new people!
Everyone is so ingrained in their existing network of high school friends and family they never make time to be inclusive of new people.

I've made more friends in Denver when I periodically travel there about 3 times/year than I do when I live full-time in Metro Detroit.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I'm from here, left for about 5 years, and I can't meet new people!
Everyone is so ingrained in their existing network of high school friends and family they never make time to be inclusive of new people.

I've made more friends in Denver when I periodically travel there about 3 times/year than I do when I live full-time in Metro Detroit.
Well, I feel better that it wasn't only me.

Even when I tried Meetup groups in Metro Detroit (which are far and few in between), it was mostly older single men trying to get out and meet women. Meetup is already tough as it is, meeting complete strangers who tend to be socially introverted. It's nearly impossible when everyone is 15+ years your senior and socially awkward. That was essentially my experience with the Meetup groups in Metro Detroit. My experience with Meetup in Denver has been a mixed bag, but it's been slowly improving. Tons of people go to these groups and there are several groups dedicated to the young 20s/30s crowd. After spending the last couple of weeks in the groups out here, I'm finally establishing some meaningful connections.

In Metro Detroit, I agree that it seems very few people are interested in getting to know others outside their circles. I even have had old friends tell me that to my face. This is particularly true if you're no longer in school. You may have a better chance meeting people through work. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do. There doesn't seem to be many avenues to meet new people in town. It doesn't help that not a lot of transients live there either.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Your unbiased opinions are quite refreshing. Thanks for an honest view. Where are you from anyway?

I find it impossible to try to describe Detroit (city and metro) in a sentence because it can get so different so fast. Ask 5 people what life is like in Detroit and you might get 5 different answers lol. It's usually a love/hate relationship depending on experiences, surroundings, the kind of company you keep, ect.

Nice of you to get out into some other neighborhoods outside of the downtown area.

Overall, I agree with your assessment, especially on the car insurance. How do they expect younger people to move there without better public transit as high as car insurance is for young folks already.
I'm from the Lansing area, so I'm still a Michigander. My opinion might not be completely unbiased.

But I agree that it is difficult to describe Detroit. Well, maybe not in terms of weather, which seems remarkably similar as expected....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit