Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's a shocker to me as well.

Nearly 400,000 millionaires in NYC! My guess is that almost every actor, celebrity, and millionaire all around the world, wants to have a flat in NYC. Hence, skewing the numbers way up there.

My experience living in NYC was more with dealing with the expensive apartments, and all the other stuff that the other 95% of NYers deal with.
I know this sounds odd but, a million dollars is not that much anymore.

When you add all of your assets up......I think you would be surprised.

I live way out in the sticks and I would be more surprised if most of the people in the area are not millionaires.

The Millionaire Next Door is an interesting book on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know this sounds odd but, a million dollars is not that much anymore.

When you add all of your assets up......I think you would be surprised.

I live way out in the sticks and I would be more surprised if most of the people in the area are not millionaires.

The Millionaire Next Door is an interesting book on the subject.
Very true, now I see why the cost of living is so high in NYC. A million dollars is probably "upper middle class" in NYC. Now I wonder how people making minimum wage survives in that city.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:55 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Very true, now I see why the cost of living is so high in NYC. A million dollars is probably "upper middle class" in NYC. Now I wonder how people making minimum wage survives in that city.
By living with other minimum wage earners in cramped 800 foot apartments. Seriously, the whole issue of income inequality is unrivaled to possibly anywhere else in the country. I've heard an actor say that NYC is the best place to be homeless, probably because you still have access to all the amenities as long as you have enough money to get around. But yea, good luck try to find a place to live by yourself that's bigger than a closet, let alone with a family.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 PM

90 posts, read 155,673 times
I would like to add, Detroit is a city of pockets, but no one, even the police gives a hoot about neighborhoods. That is a problem.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
I would like to add, Detroit is a city of pockets, but no one, even the police gives a hoot about neighborhoods. That is a problem.
Good to see that you're alright and have returned to the keyboard.

The most interesting thing about what you have described, is why hasn't the Detroit Police enlisted help? From other agencies, the feds, etc?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Detroit police have enlisted fed help. A special task force was installed in the 48205 zip, my neighborhood. But let's be honest, 4 police officers have died on duty since 1971. I hear no sirens in my area, ever. I love cops, I understand force protection, but reality is you swore an oath and people die because of that oath. Police gave up on outer Detroit a long time ago. Its way to dangerous to justify their lives. And that is a problem...

Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM

My other post was deleted or lost. Anyway joynonomous, is right, Europe rules. If only I died and was reborn in a Paris ghetto. You guys know how to live.

The floods may have killed my Lil Toyota. Which is unfortunate, because my investment money will have to go towards a car. Thank god for low comp and prior planning, for a carjacking. Detroit messed, I walked the darkest streets, because my car was broke, but I felt relatively safe. Until my feet blistered, now I know where the drug markets are. Anyhoo, gotta wait for cell charge.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 PM

One last thing to add, food desert. You are done without a car indetroit. Changes the entire ball game.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
The state police are also more present in the city. [response to David Aguilar]

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
4 police officers have died on duty since 1971
If only that were true... Detroit Police Department, Michigan, Fallen Officers

Glad to see you are okay soldierhobo.

Last edited by Retroit; 08-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: []

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Glad to see you are okay soldierhobo.
Ditto.

Sorry about your car, OP. Yeah, you need a vehicle there. I know you're a liberal and may not believe in God, but I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit