Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,914 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! In about two weeks i'll be going to Detroit to visit a friend. I do this several times a year and even though Detroit get a bad rep I end up having an amazing time. I love that city. This time is different though, I'll be coming with 4 other friends oppose to coming alone. They want to take one day out of the trip to get out of the city and see something different, something uniquely Michigan, something nature oriented. We only have 4 days so I'm not trying to go anywhere too far. At most 1.5 hours away from Detroit. Is there anywhere worth seeing? If so can anyone please suggest something? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Hi everyone! In about two weeks i'll be going to Detroit to visit a friend. I do this several times a year and even though Detroit get a bad rep I end up having an amazing time. I love that city. This time is different though, I'll be coming with 4 other friends oppose to coming alone. They want to take one day out of the trip to get out of the city and see something different, something uniquely Michigan, something nature oriented. We only have 4 days so I'm not trying to go anywhere too far. At most 1.5 hours away from Detroit. Is there anywhere worth seeing? If so can anyone please suggest something? Thank you!
1.5 hours won't get you far out of southeast Michigan. Most of what you want is along Lake Michigan imo. most of lower Michigan is farmland and rustic "nature" is in the upper third. Although it sounds like you want to "see stuff" from the car, for outdoorsy stuff like biking or hiking, a nice day trip would be something like Kensington Park or one of the recreation areas which surround Wayne County - some with beaches.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4592198,-83.5704612,10z

Kensington Park.
http://www.meetmeinmilford.com/1/oak...kensington.asp
Kensington Metropark - Milford - Reviews of Kensington Metropark - TripAdvisor
Kensington Metropark - Milford, MI | Yelp

You might motor Edward Hines Drive and make various stopoffs, most of which have some historical significance. A lot will require exploration and that could be your day. Stopoffs include cities like Plymouth and Northville.
Experience Detroit -- Historic Hines Drive
Hines Park - Westland, MI | Yelp
Maps of Hines Park Recreation Areas

Historical parts of Hines Drive would be "uniquely Michigan", and Hines himself (in conjunction with Horatio Earle) was responsible for the construction of the first full mile of concrete road pavement in the world, the stretch of Woodward Avenue between Six Mile Road and Seven Mile Road in Detroit.
There are videos of Kensington and Hines Drive on youtube.

"Uniquely Michigan" would also be places like Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore (must-see sometime), Lake Michigan lighthouses, beaches like Oval Beach in Saugatuck and other tourist towns, Muskegon or Ludington State Park, Mackinaw City or something in the U.P.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 08-05-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
I agree. Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. Mackinaw Island. The drive up is simply beautiful, then you take the ferry to the island. It would make for a long day trip, but well worth it and it's "uniquely Michigan".

There's a botanical garden in Ann Arbor. I haven't checked it out yet, so I can't give too many specifics.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Port Huron? Flint?

Port Huron on the water with the boats.

Flint because of the automotive history and sit-down strikes. Also the failed Auto World. Not sure if the Durant Hotel is still standing?

Bath, MI site of the worse mass killing at any school. The town square still has the original Coppola and a story about the disgruntled board member who blew the school up with 4-5 sticks of dynamite.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 AM

123 posts, read 224,478 times
Harsens Island is a possibility. It is close, you take a ferry to get there ($8 over, free the way back, I think), lots of boats and freighters, two bars and a restaurant, and there is a lot of wetland nature viewing. If you are on the water watch out for drunken, idiots in cigarette boats

Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 AM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
never been here but its less than 1.5 hrs and sounds like it might be what ur looking for

For-Mar Nature Preserve & Arboretum

Or the city of Lexington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit